Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Obama is going to be here in Las Vegas next week. He had a pretty big turnout here when he was campaigning, wonder if he's going to get the same reception now from the local folk

President Obama to Hold Rally in Las Vegas - KLAS-TV Channel 8 News Las Vegas
I just hope he doesn't play craps to get the national deficit down! That's our money!

Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I just hope he doesn't play craps to get the national deficit down! That's our money!
Ha ha! No........he needs to play mega bucks..

WHEEL!

OF!

FORTUUUUNNNE!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My pleasure. Yeah, I'm still here; it's just that I don't post as often as I used to because I stopped posting my trip reports/reviews of restaurants & shows to which my wife and I go (although we will be heading out to the Nevada Wild Fest momentarily).

Nevada Wild Fest - Home Page
I miss the updates, also! Your updates are the reason that I have visited some of the places you updated!

You didn't run into a losing streak, did you?

Anyway, I hope you bring them back!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
On a more positive note, who is going to the dedication for the Hoover dam bypass bridge tomorrow? It's from 8a.m to 2p.m.
I am thinking about it. Long drive, but it would be some great photo opportunities.
I drove through last weekend on my way back from the Balloon fiesta in Albuquerque. The bridge is absolutely stunning against the rocky mountains and sky, it's a work of art plain and simple. I could not get enough! Just keep in mind the traffic will be terrible. We came back Sunday afternoon and I swear the traffic was backed up to Henderson!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Googled Henderson Parks yesterday, realize they have 25+ parks in Henderson. I'm aware most parks have closing hours of 10pm. But have had no problems walking my ferret in Sunset Park between 1am and 3am.

So, last night I decided to go to Pecos Legacy Park near Windmill. Was walking my ferret in the far reaches of the park around 2am, came back to the car and there was two police cars shining their lights on my car, talking on their radios.

I had called the Henderson police yesterday to ask them how strict they are about observing the closing hours, and the officer told me it was to the discretion of the police if they chose to evict me, give me a verbal warning, and she said there would be no fine.

I related that to the police officers. There was mean, in-you-face cop who said: That's not true! You can be fined for being in the park after hours!

Yikes! So I packed it up and left!

Imagine! In this 24 hour city which pays no respect to night shift workers,
and a police officer saying: What are you doing out here so late?

I've always known of the reputation of the police in Henderson, on a par with Phoenix. Unfortuntely, ferrets are heat-sensitive and I only walk him at the coolest time of the night. Perhaps I'll resume my Henderson park exploring when it cools down and I'll be able to get out of those parks by 10pm.
Until then, back to Sunset park or my neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just curious...what the cost comparison of the bridge vs. the dam? I know we're talking 2010 money vs 1930 money...but there must be some formula to apply to the dam cost to bring it up to 2010's dollars.

I have a feeling olecapt might know the formula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
as I recall the dam was 49 MIL in 1932 and came in under budget and 2 years ahead of schedule....the bridge....not so lucky....I think [therefore I am] that the bidge was 240 mil and came in 2 yrs late
According to BLS's inflation calculator, $49 million in 1932 equates to just over $781 million in 2010. ($781,278,175.20).

CPI Inflation Calculator

(To use the calculator for that amount, you have to plug in 4.9 million and then multiply the result by 10 because it will only accept a starting figure of under 10 million.)

Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

I'm thinkin' about runnin' for President, never mind my hair

Toyota is bringing this car ta the States as a Scion FR-S

I am thinking about buying one in Nov. of 2011. This car in base 6-speed manual form
should price out at about $21,000. That better include a kickin' 500-watt stereo with
a 10" subwoofer in the trunk, pushbutton start, A/C (duh, Elko's desert, too!), power
w's, l's and m's and a 6-speed manual transmission. From all the research on this car
I've been doing that is my best guesstimate of what we'll see in about a year on Scion
lots. Subaru will be selling us their version of the car, too, but I don't do Subaru, people.
You'll have to do your own research on Subaru's version.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm thinkin' about runnin' for President, never mind my hair
That reminds me of O'Donnell in Maryland.

"I'm running for Senator, never mind my brain."

O'Donnell, Coons face off in feisty Senate debate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_el_se/us_delaware_senate_debate - broken link)

BTW I like your car selection. Are you going to get a red one?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
What are you scared of?
I don't like Obama.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I drove through last weekend on my way back from the Balloon fiesta in Albuquerque. The bridge is absolutely stunning against the rocky mountains and sky, it's a work of art plain and simple. I could not get enough! Just keep in mind the traffic will be terrible. We came back Sunday afternoon and I swear the traffic was backed up to Henderson!
How was the balloon festival...it's on my bucket list to attend. I read somewhere that there was a damper, due to recent missing balloonists?

My wife and I took a 1.5 hour balloon ride in Albuquerque about 5 years ago. It was incredible...so still...or so it seems...as one is riding with the wind, as opposed to the wind just whipping by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas