Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

Advertisements

Having a good heart always wins out over having things. Though I seem to have a penchant for craving small, sporty cars. They are expensive and require insurance and safe driving habits. But I love the independence and I love to see new places. But having a good heart and caring for people and animals and seeking to please the Creator take precedence over material things. Be content with sustenance and covering and seek first the Kingdom of God, and all the other things will be added to you.

God asks you to take a long look at the sparrows. They don't have a home but he makes sure they get fed. But you can't sit and wait for food to come to your door. Be active and work hard for your food and shelter.

Also, I used to be one that doubted that a degree was necessary. A buddy at Boeing always said that a degree does pay off, and I argued that it doesn't. Well, I got laid off from Boeing and decided to take the Trade Act after I got laid off from Boeing. How that works is if you're laid off due to foreign trade competition (Airbus was that) you could get Uncle Sam to pay for your education to get retrained. You can get up to an Associate's Degree. You must keep up a 'C' average Uncle Sam will pay your tuition and books for you. Also, my deal included weekly unemployment checks from Washington state, as I was laid off in Washington state. My wife and I put our Burlington, WA, up for sale, bought a cell phone plan (this was in May of 2003), and selected a go-getter real estate agent in Skagit County, WA, to sell our house for us.

Boeing gave me a good severance check, we got a 4'X8' utility trailer and hitched it to our 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4, and either gave away or sold our belongings, save for some necessities that we stuffed in to the utility trailer. Off to Rolla, MO, we went for me to start college for an Associate's Degree in Respiratory Therapy. Whew! Hard work!

It was not easy and it was sort of depressing to leave my family behind in Washington state. It was just my wife and I and our two Pomeranian dogs and one Norwegian Forest cat. We rented a small 2 bedroom house in Rolla for only $350/mo. That is why we moved so far away. I was tired of busy western Washington and it's nasty traffic, high real estate prices and hectic pace. I wanted smaller.

And cheaper. After all, I was no longer employed at Boeing's. We couldn't afford the $1,008 a month mortgage payment in Burlington, WA, anymore. The house sold in 3 weeks. I eventually got my Associate's Degree in Respiratory Therapy and got a job in Pierre, SD, the South Dakota capital.

I have been working my way back west slowly but surely. We will stay here in Elko for a while as I get more Respiratory Therapy experience. I have about 5 1/2 years work experience now, it's not easy work, but it can be very rewarding, and it can be physically taxing as well. But I'm glad I went this route. I narrowed my retraining choices down to either Respiratory Therapy or Hotel Management. Glad I picked the former.

Anyhoo, Davie, getting a degree is hard work. Online seems to be the learning mode these days, I went to "face-to-face" college, the old-fashioned way. I am glad I did, though my workmates here at the hospital in Elko assure me online training is the bomb nowadays, so I may pursue Registered Respiratory Therapist training online in 2011. I am a Certified Respiratory Therapist, the next step up is a Registered Respiratory Therapist. I am a big proponent of higher learning. I think it pays off.

My $.02 worth on the matter is all! Hang in there and I'm glad your operation went well, aqualung!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
Wow, good for you Elko. I'm impressed. Do you realize you might not even be working today if it wasn't for your going back to school to learn some skills that made you more employable?

Pink, that's disturbing to hear you are still having problems from a fall 3 weeks ago. I'm not a big one for doctors but it might be time to consider seeing one.

Airics, good point about the time off but I was factoring in the 3 years he has just had off from going to school and I did not in my mind's eye see him selling his car or comprimising on his current lifestyle. He doesn't have a fulltime job now so I assumed he would just continue with the 30 some hours and keep things status quo while going to school on student loans.

My grandson called me from back in Ohio yesterday and relative to our discussion about $60,000 a year, his talking about school reminded me his Dad pays $48,000 per year to keep him and his three sisters in a private high school that is important for their pre-college days. Kind of plays havoc with $60K quickly. He will just be returning from his latest long trip to Asia about the time I also land at Detroit Metro. Even after you pay your dues to the college club, all that gets you is the chance to keep on paying them to the work force club.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
As for Aqua, I would go and see him, but I do not have a way to get there. I am still recovering from my fall on the trail. For some reason, 3 weeks have passed and I am still in pain. Maybe that's why jfk's stupid jokes aren't funny anymore.
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. Were you at Red Rock? Sometimes those sandy rocks can be pretty slippery!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Davie,

I am going to say this even know it contrasts with my former posts. If you do not get a degree, you will wind up a loser like me. I am quite content with my own financial situation, but most people and especially you would not be. I will always be working minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life. Regardless, as long as I have my home entertainment center, computer and lots of beer I am content. I have everything I need and want in life. If it were not for my failing health, I would actually be happy. However, most people want a house, wife and children and I could never do that on my income. I personally detested the idea of ever getting married and having kids.
Thanks for posting this. Hard statistics show that the earning power of a college graduate is much more than a non graduate and the big thing...you are marketable OUTSIDE of Vegas.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
To Airics, I am stuck with my car. You are 100% right. I cannot get what I owe on it, and am upside down if I attempt to trade it in. Also I will have no way to get around without it. You're also on point about giving the non college thing a shot. I should point out I have 2 older brothers both are married, one makes $250k a year, the other $65k a year, both with ONLY HS educations. Im confident I will have a much better paying job sometime in the coming year

To Daddys M3. I DID indeed take a look into the NV Dept of Corrections like you had suggested. Unfortunately the open positions they had I was not qualified for

To Jfk, your posts never fail to make me laugh

To LVD. I will NEVER be as negative as you. Granted I hate school, but that DOES NOT mean I wont be able to come up in the world. The universe is so abundant and the possibilities are endless. That is how I am beginning to see things. You however are so set in your ways you view life as a harship and a struggle. At least you got to grow up in the same city most of your life. Ive moved more times than I can count. I also dont go around taking the words of crazies like Alex Jones and Gerald Celente to heart. You have tried to help me and while it is greatly appreciated, I have too much negativity in my life I dont need any more.

To Lyra33, thanks for your kind words as well and to PinkString I hope you feel better

To Jjameson I am much brighter than my parents and I feel I DID indeed break the cycle by moving out here. I just dont want to go to school. Even if I DO take a class I want....its school....Id be forcing myself to go kicking and screaming every single day

And to Elko, you truly are an amazing human being. Thanks for your words of wisdom

I will make a good life for myself in one way or another. But school and the military are not for me

Sorry for the negativity. This past week has been JUST AWFUL for me.

Im still counting down the days until I turn 21 and will most likely be getting my TAM card soon. Once the holidays are over, my hours at Kmart will be down to about 5-10 a week so I am going to look for work through AppleOne or Adecco staffing services. Both my parents did that for awhile and were never ONCE out of work. My gf has done it in the past as well

I recently learned about "The Secret" and about the Law of Attraction. The other night I headed up to the Target in Aliante on 5th Street and 215 (dont ask how I ended up there) And I passed by this apt complex called Centennial at 5th. A brand new place. I think that will be the next place I live. I want to use "the secret" and make that happen. Its a perfect place for me. The universe is abundant and possibilities are endless. You just have to believe it to acheive it

Have a good day guys

Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
I don't know why people keep thinking that 5th street is in Aliante. Aliante only goes as far as Clayton to the east. The area at 5th/Centennial is just in North Las Vegas.
But newer than Aliante.
Aliante borders:
Grand Teton to the north. Clayton to the east. Centennial Parkway to the south and Decatur to the west.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
To Daddys M3. I DID indeed take a look into the NV Dept of Corrections like you had suggested. Unfortunately the open positions they had I was not qualified for
Sorry about that. I did not realize that they were not currently recruiting for Correctional Officer Trainees in Southern Nevada right now. It's too bad, as the quals to get on as a C/OT are few (HS diploma, 21+ years old, pass a background check). Best of luck in whatever you do. I'm pulling for you.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
To Jfk, your posts never fail to make me laugh
Just remember...you ain't got nothin'...if you don't have true laughter.

And don't be afraid to laugh at yourself...it just means you have true confidence.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. Were you at Red Rock? Sometimes those sandy rocks can be pretty slippery!
It was on the nice concrete trails here in Aliante. The part where I fell, coming up under the road on the trail right after Aliante parkway. coming back uphill, there is a part of the trail where it's sticking up. I tried to balance myself after tripping over that part, you know, it looks like trying to fly..lol, but gravity got me.
If I would have still been in my 20's, I probably would have healed up in 3 days. Not so easy now for some reason. But I will be back out there soon, and will avoid that one section. A little thing like falling will not deter me from continuing on to my goal.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It was on the nice concrete trails here in Aliante. The part where I fell, coming up under the road on the trail right after Aliante parkway. coming back uphill, there is a part of the trail where it's sticking up. I tried to balance myself after tripping over that part, you know, it looks like trying to fly..lol, but gravity got me.
If I would have still been in my 20's, I probably would have healed up in 3 days. Not so easy now for some reason. But I will be back out there soon, and will avoid that one section. A little thing like falling will not deter me from continuing on to my goal.
Ive yet to see or even explore Aliante at all. Only passed through on the 215. But I have walked the trails in Summerlin

I apologize for saying 5th Street was part of Aliante. That area is North Las Vegas but it doesnt really have a specific name. I simply used Aliante because I could see the Aliante station from 5th Street, It didnt look too far so I felt safe to use the name for the Centennial/5th/215 area. But the shiny and new factor is nice. I like the quiet of the 5th/Centennial area and its distance from the strip

I had gone up to that Target to look for Xmas gifts for the gf. I texted google and typed "Target North Las Vegas" and ended up at the Target at 215 and 5th. It was SO FAR from Cheyenne and I-15 where her class was. Do you shop there Pink? I love the shopping center there, I just wish it wasnt so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas