Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I saw just a part of the Sheep Range mountains from my window and saw a lot of snow earlier today. Should be gone by tomorrow.
I somehow knocked my left knee out of joint so i have been homebound since thursday with way too much pain and swelling. It's time's like this that I really wish we had insurance of some sort to see a doctor.
Walking is not an option. I feel like Frankenstein, learning how to walk. But I think he did a better job.
RICE it.

Rest. Already doing.
Ice. On no more than 20 minutes at a time.
Compression. Ace Wrap. Wrap from upper leg down. (not down to up)
Elevation. Above heart level.

Expect to feel worse the second day. That should be the end of the max swelling. That would have been Saturday.

Ibuprofen is good for pain relief as well as inflammation. It can be safely taken at 100 mg an hour. I.e. you can take 400 mg every 4 hours, 600 mg every 6 hrs. Can be bought as Ibuprofen or Motrin at pharmacy in 200 mg tabs. Be sure to take it with food. It can cause upset stomach.

It is usually recommended to take around the clock for 3-5 days. If you get relief don't stop. That means it's working and bringing down the inflammation as well as relieving the pain.

If the swelling goes down to your feet, or bruising extends, or you lose feeling or movement in your ankle or toes or your bones looks deformed it's time to get a Doc to take a look.

Keep in mind, it's possible to break a bone without actually falling if you has a bit of osteoporosis

Tazz- Ex ER RN.

Lecture over.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Actually, given Pink's healthy eating alternatives...she should BROWN RICE it!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Actually, given Pink's healthy eating alternatives...she should BROWN RICE it!
Good point. Most Ace wraps are brown.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
You can wrap it, too, with those Ace bandages. My knee had a bad flareup of arthritis when I was in Elko. Really, really painful to step down on it. I went to the doctor, he x-rayed it...it just showed some arthritis on the edges of the patella. He had an assistant put a brace on it and told me to eat large 800 mpg Tylenols every 4-6 hours.

My wife bought me some glucosamine horse pills from Wal*Mart that had something else in them, too. They were about $20 and I started taking them every morning, eventually the knee pain went away. It really didn't help make a good impression for me at Elko's hospital...limping around for about a month.

Thankfully it eventually went away.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM

23,207 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I somehow knocked my left knee out of joint
That happened to me one time! Due to an accumulation of sins, I suddenly rushed off to the nearest church to ask God for forgiveness.
Not noticing, and being in such a rush, my knees went crashing to the marble floor near the altar where I prayed for an hour or two:

"Please God, forgive me! I've made some rude, nasty comments about people on City-Data.com and I promise I'll never, ever do that again, if only you'll forgive me! And as for my other multitude of sins........."

Well, after kneeling there, with my hands folded, for an hour or two, when I went to finally got up, and using the altar rail for assistance, I could hardly walk!

Next time, I'll bring a sponge-rubber kneeling pad with me!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
That happened to me one time! Due to an accumulation of sins, I suddenly rushed off to the nearest church to ask God for forgiveness.
Not noticing, and being in such a rush, my knees went crashing to the marble floor near the altar where I prayed for an hour or two:

"Please God, forgive me! I've made some rude, nasty comments about people on City-Data.com and I promise I'll never, ever do that again, if only you'll forgive me! And as for my other multitude of sins........."

Well, after kneeling there, with my hands folded, for an hour or two, when I went to finally got up, and using the altar rail for assistance, I could hardly walk!

Next time, I'll bring a sponge-rubber kneeling pad with me!
Definitely worth the forgiveness! Have you completed your penance yet?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 PM

23,207 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Definitely worth the forgiveness! Have you completed your penance yet?
Heavens no! God ordered me to stay off the Las Vegas Chat Thread for 6 months and sentenced me to the Religion Forum for that time period.

Can't do it! To hell I happily go!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I thought all the people talking about where our govt dollars are going and those paranoid about it becoming a police state would appreciate this article. Tiny spy planes could mimic birds, insects - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/ap_on_re_us/us_hummingbird_drone - broken link) Might need to look twice at the next bird or insect looking at you in your house.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Heavens no! God ordered me to stay off the Las Vegas Chat Thread for 6 months and sentenced me to the Religion Forum for that time period.

Can't do it! To hell I happily go!
+1! Ahhh, so now I am beginning to understand why elko was sent here!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The knee is an extremely complex joint. Aside from resting it the best a doctor could probably do is give you some pain meds. Is it seriously out of it's joint?
It's seriously out of joint again. This has happened many times before. I injured it quite bad as a child and all through growing up I had serious problems with it. Now as I am older, it's terrible when it happens. It feels like it's fused together in there crooked. When looking at both legs in the mirror, the left is slanted to the left, when it's normally in line with the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas