Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Does anybody know how I can sell my car while.i still owe money on it? I'm planning to sell because I dont have $400 a month for Nv insurance, or $200 to register my car, I plan on trading ijn my car for something similar to LVDs 91 ford resort so I can have cheap ins and registration
If I were in your shoes, I would first save up to get yourself a one or two thousand dollar POS to drive. Maybe even an old Vespa or something with character. Find out what your Altima will retail for in its current condition and make sure you qualify for an unsecured loan through a credit union for the difference. List the car with Auto Trader or similar so you get top dollar for the car as a private seller and obtain a cashiers check from the buyer. Once that clears, you will use the proceeds from the sale and the unsecured loan to pass title to the new buyer.

It is much better to owe a few grand on nothing than a ton on a depreciating asset...even if you think you have nothing to show for it.

Hang in there and be patient man...the stuff you own ends up owning you.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

Hang in there and be patient man...the stuff you own ends up owning you.
I'm glad I realized this early on in my life. It's so true yet so many are blinded to it. I'm in the process of scaling back even further. My need for possessions is declining every day and I feel lighter with every one that I lose. I pretty much live like a retiree at 26.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,492,235 times

YouTube - wild one roller coaster @ six flags america 6/18/07

Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm glad I realized this early on in my life. It's so true yet so many are blinded to it. I'm in the process of scaling back even further. My need for possessions is declining every day and I feel lighter with every one that I lose. I pretty much live like a retiree at 26.
You're wise beyond your years!

When I was in the Navy in my late teens, I made a similar decision in buying a car that I thought I deserved. It was such a shame because I really enjoyed the car I owned outright at the time...a 1990 Nissan 240 SX. I thought it would be garaged, but my mother's flopmate never got around to making the room for it. It was allowed to rot in the Vegas sun for nearly a year.

I returned to find the dash cracked open like the San Andreas, the tires decayed faster than Paris Hilton's liver and the paint flaking off like glitter from a floozy lapdance. The car looked like it had made re-entry from outer space....oxidized and burnt.

Suffice to say that I blew a gasket. This was my baby...seeing how I lived on a ship and it really was my "home" in many ways. My Mom felt kinda sorry about that so she told me she would help me with a couple grand to get into a new car. I drove back to San Diego that night in a brand new car...fresh with four years of new car payments.

I was beyond appreciative, but I was paying nearly what I would in rent between the insurance and the car payment. In fact, I almost decided to stay in the Navy another four years, even though my plan was to get out and go to college, just to support the car and a couple of lousy, low-limit credit cards at a gazillion percent interest.

I would have gladly ditched that car and had my Nissan back if I could within a few short months...it was a monkey on my back for several years.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Davie is in Vegas...

Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Davie is in Vegas...
Yep...you got my drift.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yep...you got my drift.

YouTube - Queen - Under Pressure (HQ) (Live At Wembley 86)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGHG...eature=related

Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Perhaps you (and Freddie Mercury) are right...that it's the terror of knowing what this world is about.

Thanks for the video...I enjoyed that. Freddie Mercury was such a true showman. I miss his talent and his way of working a crowd.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
I may be goin out on a limb here but I was homeless for a short time when I was 18, so I know what aqua is going through, but I'd like to put aqua up in a budget or siegel suites just for a week so he has a place to ssleep

I want to help.aqua because when I was homeless nobody helped or cared, I feel almost obligated to help
Quote:
Lvd, my job is STILL not enough to cover all my bills, and my parents are threatening to cancel my insurance, this means I won't be moving top CH either, because then I will be dead broke for sure .

My job is also having big rounds of hour cuts after this week

As much as I HATE to admit this LVD you were right when you said I need to stay central close to the strip for my own good, and that I should have paid off my loan with the ins check from my accident last summer, but I was foolish to think I deserve nice things, and get something I want JUST ONCE, but apparently that is too much to ask for

It looks like ill be staying with the dregs of.society on sierra vista indefinitely, I dont deserve anything I want anyways
Now you know why I commented what I did on the first post here.

Davie...it takes time to get what you deserve. You get what you deserve by earning it. Sometimes we have to make adjustments in order to get to the greater picture. It is a constant learning process. You are learning. At the age you were when you bought your car, it was normal to buy something you love and look good in. As you grow, you realize that is not all there is. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are making adult decisions and that is as it should be. I lived in some pretty dreggy places in my younger days! Two years I have been commuting back and forth and not living with my husband. Every time I come back to MI, I am in a funk for days (just got back today.) I want to throw in the towel many times and just forget it all. Walk away from the MI house and be done with it. But there is a greater pic here and I have to eliminate emotions for a moment and think rationally. Takes time.

You will get there. Keep your emotions in check, don't let them run your life.

I missed the sun the minute we landed.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am not the all knowing one...

"Plan for the worst and hope for the best"

That is exactly what I do. The best thing you can do is take it one step at a time. You will have nice things in the future, but you need to be patient. Your apartment may be bad, but it is cheap AND it is very close to your job which is very good considering how much gas prices are going to go up. When you get a cheap beater it will cost $54 a year to register it. You could insure it bare bones liability for about $100 a month. This will save you a lot of money each month.
I have an 82 Toyota Celica, and I pay $133 every 6 months for bare bones liability. I also have an 85 Toyota Supra which I pay $209 every six months for bare bones liability. Clean driving record since I left Phoenix (is that surprising, LVD?).

I stubbornly refuse to leave my East Central location, and be a victim of higher gas prices, job uncertainties. But I live furthur out than Davie, @Pecos/DI, a better neighborhood.

I'm currently 9 miles to work, but if I should lose my job, no sweat, as I'd be equi-distant to perhaps other job choices.

Consider yourself lucky to pay such cheap rent so close to the Strip, as in more mature cities of this country, in which the inner cities have been gentrified, you'd be paying close to double the rent for a more urban lifestyle.
The clock is ticking away, maturity will eventually come to downtown Las Vegas and areas close to the Strip, the poor, like in other areas of the country, will be forced to live in the outer reaches of the city, where they can ill-afford to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas