Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
8% is over double 3% property tax rates. Wouldn't that result in landlords charging higher rents in order to make up for the increased property tax? And what if a house is owner occupied and then they move out and rent it to someone else, how would they know to increase their tax from 3% to 8%, do you have to report it to the tax assessor's office that it went from owner occupied to rental? Likewise, if one moved into a house that was formerly a rental, does one have to contact the assessor and fill out a form to get the rate lowered from 8% back down to 3%? That's quite a large difference between the two rates.
Both are the maximum rate at which taxes can increase. The tax is still about 1% but what you pay can only go up 3% if owner occupied or 8% if not. Once it reaches 1% it stops increasing.

So if in some wonderous year the value of your house should double your taxes will go up only 3% per year until they are again at 1% of the new value.

The tax also does not reset like in CA on sale.

There is a yearly mailing when you indicate whether you are living there or not. It is a public record so a neighbor can squeal if you cheat.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Bill seeks repeal of Nevada's $8.25 minimum wage - Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 | 3:39 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

I guess Nevada is officially adopting the "screw the little guy" approach to government. Any semblance of people that could care even a little about their jobs are gonna high tail it out of here. The future of illegal aliens manning every low paying job and zero customer service has been officially welcomed. What's next we make decrepit old folks work on construction sites to earn their medicare?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM

154 posts, read 357,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Both are the maximum rate at which taxes can increase. The tax is still about 1% but what you pay can only go up 3% if owner occupied or 8% if not. Once it reaches 1% it stops increasing.

So if in some wonderous year the value of your house should double your taxes will go up only 3% per year until they are again at 1% of the new value.

The tax also does not reset like in CA on sale.

There is a yearly mailing when you indicate whether you are living there or not. It is a public record so a neighbor can squeal if you cheat.
Thank you for the clarification. One more thing. Not rented, but is a second home, occasionally owner occupied. 3% or 8%?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyygirl View Post
thank you for the clarification. One more thing. Not rented, but is a second home, occasionally owner occupied. 3% or 8%?
8%

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
...and if you tailgate an elephant you could get a seriously dirty hood
...and a fairly huge dent...about the size of a bowling ball.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Bill seeks repeal of Nevada's $8.25 minimum wage - Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 | 3:39 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

I guess Nevada is officially adopting the "screw the little guy" approach to government. Any semblance of people that could care even a little about their jobs are gonna high tail it out of here. The future of illegal aliens manning every low paying job and zero customer service has been officially welcomed. What's next we make decrepit old folks work on construction sites to earn their medicare?
At this point in time, with an unoffical 24% unemployment rate in Nevada, if this will get a few more people back to work, then so be it!

I've read up on the pro's and con's of minimum wage, and I'm always surprised to read that the minimum wage effects Black people more than any other race of people.

And with the dirt-cheap houses available today, even someone on minimum wage could swing a mortgage payment if they could find a cheap house to buy. One time, some time ago, I went on Realtor.com to see what was the cheapest house listed
and it showed $9,500. Now that was asking price! Take two people with minimum wage incomes, and they could find something more decent for $20k. And what would be the payment on a house like that, spread out over 30 years?

Last edited by tijlover; 02-16-2011 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: add line

Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:

The link I posted below says if this passes employers will be able to pay people $5.15 an hour. Are they kidding me??? As frugal as I am, even I could not afford to live on that.

Could lowering the minimum wage put more people to work? - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/story/14044043/could-lowering-the-minimum-wage-put-more-people-to-work - broken link)

Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At this point in time, with an unoffical 24% unemployment rate in Nevada, if this will get a few more people back to work, then so be it!

I've read up on the pro's and con's of minimum wage, and I'm always surprised to read that the minimum wage effects Black people more than any other race of people.

And with the dirt-cheap houses available today, even someone on minimum wage could swing a mortgage payment if they could find a cheap house to buy. One time, some time ago, I went on Realtor.com to see what was the cheapest house listed
and it showed $9,500. Now that was asking price! Take two people with minimum wage incomes, and they could find something more decent for $20k. And what would be the payment on a house like that, spread out over 30 years?

How does lowering the minimum wage get more people back to work? If anything, I would suspect that many of the people on UE as a result of low paying work that was laid off will stop looking to take a job in Nevada if they haven't already.

Why are you surprised that minimum wage effects black people more?

I'd personally rather live in a tent at a park than buy into a shanty of a house in a bad neighborhood.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
$5.15 an hour is slave wages. Wasn't that the minimum wage in California back in the 90's? If they repeal the $8.25 an hour back to $5.15, that won't pay someone's electric bill with the new so called smart meters. Let alone pay the rent, other utilities, put food on the table, maybe buy something to wear now and then. We are supposed to be moving forward, not back in time. Whoever thought of this is a big fat hairy idiot.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
How does lowering the minimum wage get more people back to work? If anything, I would suspect that many of the people on UE as a result of low paying work that was laid off will stop looking to take a job in Nevada if they haven't already.

Why are you surprised that minimum wage effects black people more?

I'd personally rather live in a tent at a park than buy into a shanty of a house in a bad neighborhood.
You probably have to pay the "big" guy in the homeless sector for that plot of land for your tent...you wouldn't even be able to do that on that wage! Looks like we will see many more people lined up sitting on the bridges or looking ridiculous in those costumes wandering around.

I would think that more people would attempt to relocate to get away from that. Considering that most of them probably owe the bank for their deficiencies...yep, seems a little backwards to me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas