Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times

Advertisements

It's probably too soon for you to give me a rep, ne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,769 times
Here is some stuff - maybe not the answer, but to point you in the right direction
Nevada @ RockyMountainRoads - Interstate 15 (http://www.rockymountainroads.com/i-015_nv.html - broken link)
misc.transport.road | Google Groups

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
To the best of my recollection, I-15 started at the south end of the Strip towards LA when I moved here in 1964, but if I remember correctly it didn't get as far as downtown yet, and I believe it was few years before that happened. I also don't think we had a Blue Diamond exit until a few years later. The U.S. 95 expressway wasn't even thought of yet, so when I-15 got as far as downtown I'm racking my brain trying to remember where you got on and off. The new U.S. 95 partially opened sometime in 1979, but it wasn't a freeway yet. It was just a four lane road to the west of Rancho Road which was then called the Tonopah Highway. The Tonopah Highway was also referred to as the widow-maker just prior to 1963or 64, when it the present divided highway was built, due to all the fatalities of Test Site workers going to work at Mercury. I know that I went with a friend to Utah by car in about 1967, or 68, and we took the old U.S 91 because I-15 didn't go past downtown Las Vegas. In fact you took Nellis or Las Vegas Boulevard North up past Nellis AFB, and through the back way into Apex. I remember the trip up Highway 91 very well as we broke down north of Mesquite and two drunks in a pickup towed us into St. George at about 200 miles an hour. We had the doors open ready to jump out. But there was still doubt in everyone's mind that they could actually put a road through the Virgin River Gorge at that time. There was also a memorable hunting trip to Ely in 1969, where we were still taking the old road out of town to get to U.S 93 which probably hasn't changed since they first built it. It may have been as late as 1974 when I-15 was completed to the north. Wish I could be more certain. I've been trying to remember that too.
ahhhhh desert breakdowns and drunks....the stuff legends are made of......

Being pushed into Hawthorne by Reno Ratti [the Mayor of Gabbs, NV] at 3 am. I was in one of thos highaZZed 1971 Chrysler Imperials.....with no lights. we hit the railroad tracks at 105mph and Reno backed off till we crossed the tracks then pulled up and connected again.....never felt a thing......

BTW....a Chrysler Imperial wirh no engine steers like a sherman tank [with no engine]

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
ahhhhh desert breakdowns and drunks....the stuff legends are made of......

Being pushed into Hawthorne by Reno Ratti [the Mayor of Gabbs, NV] at 3 am. I was in one of thos highaZZed 1971 Chrysler Imperials.....with no lights. we hit the railroad tracks at 105mph and Reno backed off till we crossed the tracks then pulled up and connected again.....never felt a thing......

BTW....a Chrysler Imperial wirh no engine steers like a sherman tank [with no engine]
Good thing Nevada didn't have a speed limit huh? Ya know you're in the wild west when you're more likely to be in a wreck with a steer then with a car on our open range highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas