Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM

285 posts, read 785,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Oink View Post
Yikes! Of course I know how to spell economy. Please excuse the typo. (Never mind that I did it twice ....what a moron!!)

The job I've interviewed for is the retail side for one of the premiere resorts on the Strip. The position is at the Director level. I know I would like Vegas better than the backward, conservative, "red" state of Georgia. However, my fear is moving my life out there only to be quickly "down-sized".

Any advice or insight will be appreciated. Thanks!
You may also want to consider the fact that up until this last election, Nevada has hisorically voted as a "red" state and a lot of long-time locals could take offense to calling a conservative state "backwards". Yes, Las Vegas has the "what happens here stayes here" image but alot the its established residents live in nice suburbs and are generally conservative albeit in more of a western "libertarian" sense than a southern "backwards" sense. What is driving the change to blue are Californians moving here bringing their marxist attitudes and voting patterns with them.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
A) People are gonna wanna get on this post for spelling economy "ecoMoNy", so lets all get over that mistake now.

B)Its getting continually worse, and will continue to do so for at least a year to come; of that there is no debate. Done deal.

C)Its easy to knock the stimulus, but what are the alternatives? Explain viable alternatives and back them up with reputable sources. If anybody says that the stimulus bill is a "spending bill" you are embarrassing yourself. No duh. The stimulus won't make the problem go away, but with proper oversight, it can help us from diving into an inflationary depression. Anyone care to debate? I'm a finance major who studies this every day, so I'm game
Trouble is that none of them know what the money is being spent on, especially the democrats. They are just preying on taxpayers using the fear game with cloak and dagger last minute revisions. If this is passed by the Senate later on today, then we'll take a time warp back to 1979 with double digit inflation with Barack playing Jimmy Carter and Pelosi being Tip O'Neill. I guarantee it.

Get any democrat in front of a camera right now and ask him or her what the bill specifically does and they will say "I don't know, but I know it makes jobs". Again, they don't know what jobs nor when they will be created. However, ole' Nancy needs to hop a plane to Europe (gee who pays for that Nancy??????)

Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM

17 posts, read 43,615 times
Since you say you already live in a backwards state, just stay put so you don't bring your lousy biased attitude with you.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM

79 posts, read 249,116 times
I should have known this would turn into yet another politcal bicker session. Never mind....I'll get my information elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
your questions were answered.. it just wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM

79 posts, read 249,116 times
Must every single conversation turn into an attack on the Stimulus Plan and/or our new President?

Moderator - Please close this thread as soon as possible. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
there was no attack

Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 PM

285 posts, read 785,095 times
No attack from me and not even a mention of the spendulous plan or the Messiah. I simply responded to a political comment we could have done without on this board.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Ecomony and Bribery...
together in perfect harmony...

Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Oink View Post
I may have a job offer that will require moving from the metro Atlanta area to Las Vegas. The salary and benefits will be far better in LV than my current job in ATL. The cost of living is about the same in both cities.

In your opinion, has Vegas already seen the worst of it....or is there more to come? My area has been hit very hard.....many businesses are closing and I know LOTS of people (blue and white collar) who are unemployed.

What's your take on the Vegas ecomony and job market? Thanks for you replies!
What line of work are you in? If it is related to the gaming industry I would be a bit apprehensive about making the move. If it is in an industry that has not already been too hard hit by the economy and it just happens that there is a branch in Las Vegas, you might be fine. Are they offering you a contract?

I personally like Atlanta better than Las Vegas. It is city in the middle of a forest. I love the trees and woods all around the surrounding area, but the humidity in the summer is a little too much for me. Las Vegas is small compaired to Atlanta. Atlanta is much more cosmopolitan. We're out in the middle of the desert where Atlanta is a city surrounded by suburbs. We do not have the same quality of museums, hospitals, universities, etc... You will likely have a much easier commute here in Las Vegas.

I do not think we have seen the worst to come in terms of the Las Vegas economy. I hate telling anyone that who wants to move here, but I have a gut feeling about it. I think things are going to get worse, but not too much worse. I'm praying on that. I don't think we've seen a ton of business closing. It's starting to happen though; some grocery stores and restaurants starting to close up shop here and there. I think at last check unemployement was at 9%.

I'd do some research on the business that you are in. Find out how it ties in to the Las Vegas economy, if at all, and carefully try to conclude if a further downturn in our economy here will affect your job. Also, if the headquarters is in Atlanta, can a further stall over there bring your office in Las Vegas to a grinding halt as well. Staying put in Atlanta might be an overall safer decision. Lets say you got laid off in Atlanta and Las Vegas, at least in Atlanta there is a more diversified economy where if you needed to make a career change you could find at least one or two industries that are doing well. In Las Vegas, we've got all our eggs in one basket. Tourism. Not a ton of room to manouver in a city comprised of only one major industry. All things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas