Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM

52 posts, read 199,469 times

Advertisements

I'm in NW part of town. I did some searching on here hoping to find info and came up short. I'm looking for any information on where to go or who to contact to look into registering my preschooler in some community sports programs. Preferably NOT through the YMCA as the fees are ridiculously high when you aren't a member.

Back in MI there were community run team sports that seemed to be a lot of fun and I'd love to register my tots in something similar here if there is such a thing! Not really picky about what the sport is, just anything to get him some exposure to team sports at the appropriate level for his age

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,350,881 times
Preschooler? How old is he? Possible that there are no team sports for 3 or 4 year olds! they're kinda like trying to organize a group of earthworms LOL.

Gymnastics is a thought, though. They usually have classes for that age group.

Does he go to pre-school? Some parents or teachers there might give you a lead.

Team sports are wonderful. They can teach a child many things beyond how to kick a ball. But it's possible you're a little ahead of his ability to participate, prior to about age 5.

when he is a little older, find the NV Youth Football League. Our family was involved when that organization began. Fabulous program. We ate, slept and drank football and loved every minute of it!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM

560 posts, read 2,182,431 times
I have three girls that play soccer. If you have girls try the Silver State Girls Soccer League. There is also Rainbow Youth Soccer which is co ed as well as AYSO. When you sign up they try to form teams according to zip code so that you don't have to travel far. My youngest is 6 and has been playing for 3 years now so they do start that young!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM

52 posts, read 199,469 times
Well I know from when my oldest was younger that they start VERY young. I didn't even consider it with my oldest till he was 5 and unfortunately found that we were the slackers LOL He was WAY behind all the other kids who had been doing it for a year or two already.

My son that I'm trying to get into something is 4. He's not attending preschool or daycare, which is also part of why I'd like to get him into a team sport of some sort - he enjoys the socialization a lot!

We did a Headstart soccer program in Michigan last year with him at 3 and he loved it! They didn't really play actual team games against each other but rather worked together in stations learning how to kick the ball, dribble the ball, toss the ball to each other, etc. It was basically more like a "soccer skills" class but he really loved it and had a lot of fun.

Anything like that would be great. I will look into the Rainbow Youth and AYSO. thanks!!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM

90 posts, read 315,683 times
We did not live in North Las Vegas, but were close enough that we signed our then 4 year old up for the NLV youth soccer league. They were reasonably priced and all of their games were up near Aliante area - so not the scary part of NLV. He played 2 years with that league and enjoyed it. NLV seemed to have a good youth sports/rec program - we did swimming lessons out of their rec center too. We will probably join the YMCA up in the NW when we move back, though, since the kids are older and can take advantage of some of the camps and such now.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:13 PM

90 posts, read 315,683 times
Oh, and he also did t-ball when he was 5 through the Lone Mountain Little League.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM

10 posts, read 37,256 times
We are in the process of moving to LV in March and I've been doing similiar research. I found the Las Vegas Sports Park Las Vegas Sports Park They have soccer, t-ball, martial arts, etc...It looks pretty cool. It's something I definately plan on checking out when we get out there. Hope it helps

Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 21,292 times
A few things from a parent who has had kids in sports here for many years:

1) Avoid AYSO like the plague. It may be great in other states (And even then I'd question it), but in Las Vegas it is horrible. It is the most expensive recreational Soccer program in town and you get fewer games than everyone else, and they literally HARASS the parents to volunteer, they won't even pay for certified referees (makes you wonder where all that money goes). The people running it seem a little shady to me also.

2) The indoor place is the ONLY place, and while its better than not playing anywhere at all, the place unfortunately is a poorly-run dump. A lot of parents including myself are longing for the day were a better place opens up that's not just about the money.

3) Rainbow is one of the better co-ed rec leagues, probably THE best, their website is [url=http://www.ryslsoccer.com]Rainbow Youth Soccer - (Las Vegas, NV) - powered by LeagueLineup.com[/url]. My kids have played in most of the leagues in this town and Rainbow
in the past 2 seasons has really improved dramatically (they got a new League President and he's really improved the program).

Old 06-01-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 15,400 times
OK!
i am currently looking for a T Ball league for my 3 yr old son.
i cant seem to figure it out on any website and everytime i google it, i get some other info for college baseball or what not!

HELP HELP HELP, anybody!

thanks!
Guam,USA GIRL

Old 08-26-2010, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 14,399 times
a good t-ball league is Peccole Little League...It just depends on what side of town you live. Peccole plays at the Rainbow Park @ Oakey and Rainbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas