Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

If they are really tiny, like a speck of black pepper, they may be rover ants, or a second cousin, as they don't exactly fit the profile. Since nobody seems to know for sure what they are, I'm wondering if they are a new species of ant. They don't seem to look like ants, but it's hard to see as they are so small. I looked under a magnifying glass too, but it's hard to tell. They act like ants though, and they have started showing up around here in the past two years. I had them in my shower, and after trying everything I could think of, I had to have Terminix whack them with something. Anyway, knock on wood, they haven't been back. I think they were imported from another state as they are becoming a big pest in Florida and Texas, and now they are a pest here too.
Rover Ants are on the Rise - Pest Management Professional (http://www.mypmp.net/pestcontrol/DTY+Ant/Rover-Ants-are-on-the-Rise/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/490435 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
But they still look like ants. I had the small tiny ones at my house, but even real close I could tell they were ants. The way this guy is talking they do not look like an ant? Hmm, maybe he can take a picture and post it on here.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Ya know, I studied mine under a magnifying glass, I took pictures, I went on the internet and found people all over asking the same questions about them, and we all swore they couldn't be ants. The exterminator convinced me they were. If they walk like an ant, talk like an ant, and do the things ants are supposed to do...

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM

252 posts, read 906,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkersen View Post
Went outside and found millions of small insects on the drive way, on our house walls, everywhere especially in the grass. I have no idea what they are, maybe baby cockroaches. Their not ants or termits. Anyone have an idea what they are.

I have the exact same thing going on at my house!! I looked up springtails, BB... close but maybe not exactly the same thing. But the description online sounded right... generally pretty harmless-seeming. I haven't noticed any of the bugs jumping though.

The ones at my house don't look like that pic of the rover ants.... more... buggy.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
I have the exact same thing going on at my house!! I looked up springtails, BB... close but maybe not exactly the same thing. But the description online sounded right... generally pretty harmless-seeming. I haven't noticed any of the bugs jumping though.

The ones at my house don't look like that pic of the rover ants.... more... buggy.
Sent you a Dm, Hubby says they are gnats, but in the Larvae stage. That is why they do not fly yet. Had about 5 customers today with the same problem.

Usually every year it is something different. Last year it was scorpions, people who had never had them before. The year before crickets/grasshoppers, year before that bed bugs. Each year seems to bring something different by the hoards.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times
Question Got them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post

Hello, I have them too all over, I have a 1/2 acre and my neighbors on both sides have them, they are into the street as well. They just started showing up a few days ago, I don't think they are in the ant family more like a nat that can't fly, just runs around. I sprayed bug killer and they came right back the next day, I even hosed them down with water, nexts I'm going to try soapy water, can anyone help on this, there is just so many of them, on the walls, concrete, rocks, might be even in the grass. Thanks..Pam

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aussie View Post
Hello, I have them too all over, I have a 1/2 acre and my neighbors on both sides have them, they are into the street as well. They just started showing up a few days ago, I don't think they are in the ant family more like a nat that can't fly, just runs around. I sprayed bug killer and they came right back the next day, I even hosed them down with water, nexts I'm going to try soapy water, can anyone help on this, there is just so many of them, on the walls, concrete, rocks, might be even in the grass. Thanks..Pam
Weeds are attracting them. Get rid of the weeks and they will go away. They are gnats in the larvae stage, and will eventually start flying. They are almost everywhere in town. Products from the store do not work on insects, they just basically drown them, and that is about it.

Try soap and water.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
at least then they'll be CLEAN

Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
at least then they'll be CLEAN
sounds like The Real Life...season XXIV?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM

54 posts, read 164,919 times
We just noticed them also within the last week, there are a bunch on the ground on my patio in my backyard and some on a window sill over my sink. We hosed them away on the patio but next morning they were back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: