Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
You can, but you have to know what product to use. We actually use a dust for them. Surprisingly not many companies use it, but works wonders. I have a couple of customers up in Summerlin, that had them bad. They were paying a big name company lots of money about 5 times the amount we charge and they still had them. We did their first service and then went back the next month and the wife could not stop talking about all the dead scorpions she had.

Most companies hire guys that do not know their job. They just spray and leave. You have to keep up on your training. Every time I get a new bug that we have not seen, I search for things, so that we have an understanding on what causes them and also how to get rid of them. I have been in the industry in Vegas for over 10 years, and I had two new bugs this year that I have never heard of or seen here.

Thats excellent that you do that. What kind of "new" bugs are you finding? Are they truly exotic--ie, not indigenous to the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
You know folks, you don't want to live in a completely dead environment that is polluted with poison. It harms you too you know. Most insects aren't harmful and are necessary to the ecosystem. Scorpions can be dealt with without using poison, especially in the house. I wouldn't go with an exterminator that uses poison in the house except in extreme cases.

BTW: Wolf spiders are big and scary looking but they are harmless...and beneficial in that they help keep other bugs in check.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
Not really exotic. Black carpet beetles, they ate almost an entire wardrobe of a couple in Henderson. Also the chinch bugs, flying gnat things that basically for a couple of weeks took over a lot of peoples yards. That was due to the amount of moisture we had last year. But every year it seems that we get something new. We have seen quite a few more centipedes then we normally do, also.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You know folks, you don't want to live in a completely dead environment that is polluted with poison. It harms you too you know. Most insects aren't harmful and are necessary to the ecosystem. Scorpions can be dealt with without using poison, especially in the house. I wouldn't go with an exterminator that uses poison in the house except in extreme cases.

BTW: Wolf spiders are big and scary looking but they are harmless...and beneficial in that they help keep other bugs in check.

There are other ways to get inside the house, that spraying the outside does not always take care of. Cracks in the foundation, along the pipes, through landscaping that is high and touches the house, etc. I have people who do not even want the dead ones inside their home.

They have come along way in the industry. We have a lot of regulations on what and where we can treat. Also the state inspects us, and we have to go to classes each year. Most insecticides are made out of plants. Where the problem lies is with people who do not read the labels of the products and mix them the wrong way, or use products that are not intended for what they are using them for.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,072 times
I've had good luck with Orkin when they show up. They must over book as sometimes the tech "forgets" to show up on time. Don't have scorpions here, thank goodness, but we do have cockroaches, black widows and brown recluses. I do believe the Wolf Spider is a good critter to have around the house. Wolf Spiders kill and eat other bugs. Check Wikipedia to be sure.

I live in the Mojave Desert on the California side and am looking at moving to Nevada, if things work out.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,810 times
I live in a fairly new house (2006) in Henderson near black mountain. I have lived in Las Vegas for almost 15 years and I have never seen a scorpion until now. I have seen two since I moved in last month.

One bark scorpion outside in the driveway, which I smashed with the bottom of my shoe. The other was found inside, by my dog. This was also a bark scorpion. I picked the scorpion up with tongs, placed it in a glass jar and examined it. Nasty little bugger!

Anyhow, I ended up killing him with bug spray, although it took about twenty minutes before he actually quit moving.

I have tried hunting them down at night with a black light, but I cannot find any. My bug guy who sprayed for the previous owners said they never mentioned scorpions.

I am at a loss right now as to why I have already seen two. I guess its time to send BugBully a PM and nip this in the butt before the situation really gets out of hand.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM

I sent you a DM.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
I sent you a DM.
Send me one too. It's around that time again... last night a freakin' roach somehow got in and tried crawling up my leg..i kept shaking my foot and finally stomped on the floor to get whatever it was to fall out. A roach! (a shoe somehow landed on it a few times)
I've got those stupid gnat things inside and have for awhile. I don't know where they came from, but some are quite big while others are flea sized. some are landing on the sticky trap quite nicely...and there are some freaky things in the sticky traps in the garage that i can't deal with.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
I have a question about insects in Las Vegas, NV. I have visited there several years ago, but not long enough to notice. Are there really NO bugs in Las Vegas? I mean, I have been told several times in the last week that there are no cockroaches, ants, mosquitos,crickets...nothing in the insect world. Surely, that can't be accurate. Please educate me if I am wrong, but certainly there are some kinds of bugs. My question is...are there really bugs/insects in Las Vegas, NV?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM

You are wrong. Read the previous posts and that will answer you question. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas