Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 AM

252 posts, read 906,174 times

Advertisements

I arrived in Las Vegas exactly one year ago today. Drove across the country from GA. I thought I would give a bit of a different perspective for people thinking to move here....

1. I moved here for a job. I don't know if I would recommend moving here on "spec" hoping to get one. I am single and didn't have to worry about spouse or kids and good schools and whatnot, so that made the transition easier. The town in which I went to grad school was a party town, so I actually came to Vegas to clean up my act (don't laugh!).

2. Vegas is a weird big city, unlike the other big cities (DC, SF) I've lived in. You really need a car here, or be very comfortable riding the bus and taking your time to get places.

3. If you do drive, be prepared for the onslaught of emergency vehicles and be prepared to get the **** out their way. They will jump dividers and everything. Seriously, give them space.

4. If cops pull you over, they mean right where you are.Be it a turn lane even. I was chastised for "being safe" and pulling off the road. I can only assume they've had problems with people pulling into apt complexes and rallying a gang or something.

5. I have found it hard to meet people and date here. I was really fortunate to work with great people that have become great friends, but I'm not sure how I would have met people otherwise.

6. The hiking is great here. Please go to Red Rock Canyon and/or Mt. Charleston at least once, even if you're just visiting.

7. Your friends from wherever you moved from or past places in your life will want to visit you.

8. As a local, there are very few reasons to go to the Strip. (Cirque shows, Belaggio botanical garden and fountains, maybe a couple of restaurants?) Your friends who visit (see #7) will possibly want to go, so that's when you go. Otherwise, the traffic is terrible; drinks are overpriced; and you will be totally annoyed unless you are really drunk.

9. It's a big town, spacewise, with lots of different character to the different parts of town. If you have no idea where you want to live, pick a "safe" place and rent an apartment short term for a few months. See what part of town you gravitate to, then buy or rent a place there. I never would have lived downtown (where I live now) as a newb to the city, but after going out a lot and making friends in that area, I decided it was the right place for me. And I love it.

Wow. That was long. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,106 times
As someone who's coming up on their 4th year here,
let me pass on a little advice, old fart to no0b.

2 & 3: Driving in Vegas is a full contact sport. Street signs
and speed limits are merely suggestiongs. The safest
vehicle is an M1 Abrams tank, especially in the Sphagetti
Bowl and the Blue Diamond area.

5: I don't date, it's against EPA regulations. Get thee to a a DDO. They're lots of fun.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,022 times
Nice post, and good advice.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
My friend, who lived in Vegas for two years and left for good, will verify that it is hard to find quality friends - especially dating material.

This isn't discouraging me... I am a self-sufficient loner

Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 72,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
My friend, who lived in Vegas for two years and left for good, will verify that it is hard to find quality friends - especially dating material.
I'm a middle-aged single male who decided to move here a year ago, and has now lived here for one month. Before I moved, I read many comments on this forum and others about how hard it was to meet friends and date. Except for a few forays to the Strip, all my socializing has been in my local neighborhood. I was well-acquainted with the Strip before moving and am much more curious about my immediate surroundings.

After only a month, I realize I am nowhere near ready to write the definitive Las Vegas Guide to Dating for New Residents, but I will say this - it is no problem whatever to meet friendly people. The women here are not only as friendly and outgoing as any place else I've been, on average, they are a bit more so. I find them refreshingly friendly and approachable, much more than I thought they would be. And no, these are not "working girls," just normal, everyday women. I've had no problem striking up conversations with men and women alike.

It's too soon to have developed any "life long friends", but at least over here in the Silverado Ranch area, people are fairly friendly and socially engaging. My expectations have been surpassed.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM

252 posts, read 906,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
As someone who's coming up on their 4th year here,
let me pass on a little advice, old fart to no0b.

2 & 3: Driving in Vegas is a full contact sport. Street signs
and speed limits are merely suggestiongs. The safest
vehicle is an M1 Abrams tank, especially in the Sphagetti
Bowl and the Blue Diamond area.

5: I don't date, it's against EPA regulations. Get thee to a a DDO. They're lots of fun.
ha! I can't wait for the next DDO. would definitely love to meet the folks on this forum!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
I arrived in Las Vegas exactly one year ago today. Drove across the country from GA. I thought I would give a bit of a different perspective for people thinking to move here....

1. I moved here for a job. I don't know if I would recommend moving here on "spec" hoping to get one. I am single and didn't have to worry about spouse or kids and good schools and whatnot, so that made the transition easier. The town in which I went to grad school was a party town, so I actually came to Vegas to clean up my act (don't laugh!).

2. Vegas is a weird big city, unlike the other big cities (DC, SF) I've lived in. You really need a car here, or be very comfortable riding the bus and taking your time to get places.

3. If you do drive, be prepared for the onslaught of emergency vehicles and be prepared to get the **** out their way. They will jump dividers and everything. Seriously, give them space.

4. If cops pull you over, they mean right where you are.Be it a turn lane even. I was chastised for "being safe" and pulling off the road. I can only assume they've had problems with people pulling into apt complexes and rallying a gang or something.

5. I have found it hard to meet people and date here. I was really fortunate to work with great people that have become great friends, but I'm not sure how I would have met people otherwise.

6. The hiking is great here. Please go to Red Rock Canyon and/or Mt. Charleston at least once, even if you're just visiting.

7. Your friends from wherever you moved from or past places in your life will want to visit you.

8. As a local, there are very few reasons to go to the Strip. (Cirque shows, Belaggio botanical garden and fountains, maybe a couple of restaurants?) Your friends who visit (see #7) will possibly want to go, so that's when you go. Otherwise, the traffic is terrible; drinks are overpriced; and you will be totally annoyed unless you are really drunk.

9. It's a big town, spacewise, with lots of different character to the different parts of town. If you have no idea where you want to live, pick a "safe" place and rent an apartment short term for a few months. See what part of town you gravitate to, then buy or rent a place there. I never would have lived downtown (where I live now) as a newb to the city, but after going out a lot and making friends in that area, I decided it was the right place for me. And I love it.

Wow. That was long. Sorry.

I agree with most things you are saying with the exception of the strip. I love the strip and go out to the strip twice a week. As far as the traffic goes, I just avoid driving on it. I either walk to the strip or take the bus. I personally would never drive there as I drink way to much to drive safely. Also, there are ways to get around the high drink prices. One trick I use is at the Centrifuge bar in the MGM Grand. If you order drinks they are $9 to $10 which is ridiculous IMO. What I do is sit at the bar and play the 25 cent blackjack machines and play a little here and there. I put in $20 and they give me all the drinks I want for free. The cool thing is I almost always cash out with the same $20 or I have a few dollars loss at most. I usually get around 10 drinks so it saves me a lot of money.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 02-28-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
its very easy to drive down Dean Martin, Industrial, and Koval to get to most of the resorts, this way you can bypass the Strip traffic, but of course it is much more fun to drive the Strip, also my family goes very often as well...

Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I agree with most things you are saying with the exception of the strip. I love the strip and go out to the strip twice a week. As far as the traffic goes, I just avoid driving on it. I either walk to the strip or take the bus. I personally would never drive there as I drink way to much to drive safely. Also, there are ways to get around the high drink prices. One trick I use is at the Centrifuge bar in the MGM Grand. If you order drinks they are $9 to $10 which is ridiculous IMO. What I do is sit at the bar and play the 25 cent blackjack machines and play a little here and there. I put in $20 and they give me all the drinks I want for free. The cool thing is I almost always cash out with the same $20 or I have a few dollars loss at most. I usually get around 10 drinks so it saves me a lot of money.
They're a lot stingier on the video poker drinks, than they used to be. Sounds like you found a good one.
I've been looking for a good Race Book, that gives frequent drink service to all players. I was kind of shocked to hear a 20 bet was required for a drink at Benion's, in the Book. Anybody have any advice on this?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
I think most places differ in what they require. The local bars are usually pretty good about comping your drinks when you play video poker and they don't seem to hawk over you as much. At the Mirage, they told me I had to put in $20 and play max credits and they were all dollar machines. It is usually cheaper just to pay the 9 bucks for the dang drink. Unless, of course, you win. Odds are against that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: