Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

What's the reputation of living in the Chinatown area of LV?

Last time in LV, I saw quite a few condos/housing right on the same block (basically behind) all the restaurants and shops.

As a person who loves Asian cuisine and access to foods, culture, etc. How is that neighborhood/area for potential living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,866 times
there's not much besides Asian cuisine and strip clubs/adult stores, i don't know the crime, but i have heard that the area directly north and directly south aren't favorable (from others, i'm entirely unsure), like off of Twain or off of Spring Mountain, I have no idea really since I have never lived in that area, most people live further west and then drive into Chinatown if they want to live in a better location, but also near Chinatown...

it would be nice to walk to Chinatown, but there's no other walkability factors, no other convenient shopping (Fashion Show Mall, stores on Sahara/Charleston, or Boulevard Mall would require a car or bus), but it is in a good location, considering it is sort of central or at least west central...

Funny this was asked, I was in Chinatown today with some friends, it is very safe during the day, I have no clue late at night, but there are a lot of places in the area open at night, so I'm sure something is ok, maybe someone else can add to this...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,168 times
The area around Chinatown, further to the west is ok, you got some real beautiful homes in this area, and some run-downish types of neighborhoods. It's an older area, but it seems OK for the most part.

You got plenty of shopping, Chinatown is extended all the way up to Tenaya from Spring Mountain. You got Sams Club, SuperWalmart, a huge Korean market being built, plenty of stores, restaurants all along the Spring Mountain corridor, all part or mostly Asian.

Look for neighborhoods in the Rainbow/Spring Mountain/Spring Valley/Twain/Desert Inn area, there's a large Asian influence in there.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM

207 posts, read 907,298 times
It seems like Decatur is the dividing line between the "good" and "bad" parts of the area. I've spent plenty of time in the main Chinatown area as well as further west closer to Jones, at night and during the day, and have never felt any unease. I've looked into the condos around that area and they're ok, but still somewhat overpriced compared to nearby homes and condos a little north and west of the area (talking 89146 zip).

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Comeon Tiger...you are an urban type. It is a piece of cake by that standard.

I don't think you will find anyone living there who is asian to speak of...maybe a nice little hispanic enclave.

But hell you get to eat good....

Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,866 times
The immediate area, is yes, Hispanic, but once you go West on Spring Mountain like around Decatur and south and surrounding areas, it becomes very Asian...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,116 times
I wish that there was a Japantown in Las Vegas. Sigh...I miss San Francisco and San Jose's Japantowns.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I wish that there was a Japantown in Las Vegas. Sigh...I miss San Francisco and San Jose's Japantowns.
Would not work. The Las Vegas one would be filled with Koreans from Santa Monica.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,116 times
There were a couple in the SF one, but that's ok, their food's good too. I just wish that there was more than one ramen-ya. I love Togoshi's, but I'd love a bit of variety. I also miss Kinokuniya bookstore.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the reputation of living in the Chinatown area of LV?

Last time in LV, I saw quite a few condos/housing right on the same block (basically behind) all the restaurants and shops.

As a person who loves Asian cuisine and access to foods, culture, etc. How is that neighborhood/area for potential living?
My son goes to Hyde Park Academy and many of the kids that he associates with live in China town. When I went to pick up my son after school, where he was working on a project with some kids from school, I was impressed with the neighborhood that I picked him up in. Since we live in the far Northwest it was very different driving in a neighborhood with large homes on large lots. This neighborhood was just off of Rainbow/Desert Inn and it felt near the strip. I noticed a lot of police cars while I was driving in that area. The parents of the boy my son goes to school with speak little English but I sense a strong sense of community within their community and they support education. So I think their neighborhoods/community might reflect these values. Personally, I would not want to live that close to the Strip, and it was apparent that they have issues with crime there.

Last edited by lyra33; 03-22-2009 at 01:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: