Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 AM

55 posts, read 187,993 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in Las Vegas in the next several months. What is the best value,a new home or resale home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
My vote is for resale. The builders are offering lots of upgrades that in the end aren't worth much if you have to sell. Also some of the new developments have add on LIDS and SIDS for road/common area construction that can really jack up the cost.

Investigate carefully!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Dealers choice.

Resale is almost always the best choice economically. Dealers make higher profits than resellers and sell, in the existing market, above the market. You drop the spifs offered plus another ten percent when you buy new. New also has other costs like backyards and window coverings that can easily run through 20 to 50K after you get in.

On the other hand new is done as you want it. You get to break it in and shape it to your desires. New is generally more energy efficent than older and has brand new systems.

One other possibility at the moment is that there are flipper homes available in some areas. These are basically new homes, many never lived in, for sale for less than builder prices. You don't get to pick your own stuff but you also get the house a lot cheaper.

Discount spifs offered by builders heavily. Unless you can translate them into something like cash they are worth maybe 25 or 30 cents on the dollar. If however they pay your closing costs and mortgage payments for a year that is real.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM

237 posts, read 915,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco80233 View Post
I am looking to buy a home in Las Vegas in the next several months. What is the best value,a new home or resale home?
None if you buy in this market you are asking for trouble it is the beggining of a bear market for a ton of reasons. Rent trust me we are renting for $1350 a month a nice 3 bed 2 bath in summerlin near the red rock if we bought 6 months ago first are payment would have been $2200 and the house is has dropped 30k to 40k . 1 more year and things will hopefully pull back another 10 to 15 %. than start insulting people with offers. Vegas supply 18 months ago was 2000 homes today 21000 plus. It will get worse do not let the realtors tell you different. Remember the stock brokers in 2000 talking up tech stocks yahoo $400 hit $10, just an example watch who you listen too.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Not the question asked.

But just like a stopped clock is correct twice a day ... it is a nice renters market.

Financially it is clearly a benefit to rent. In other dimensions there are drawbacks. Many neighborhoods for instance have few or no rentals. High rental neighborhoods are often less than optimum. Noise, bad behavior etc. Really nice homes are seldom rented.

There are particularly good deals in the flipper areas where people are renting reasonably nice places at half the mortgage payment.

There is no significant risk to renting at the present time. A large appreciation of Vegas property this year is most unlikely.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Default Looking for Condo or home to rent for a vacation trip

My family and I are surprising my mother on a trip to Vegas. The family is a total of 27 people. (6 Family). We would all like to stay together. Looking for a place that is close to the strip

Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco80233 View Post

Not sure why anyone would buy new right now. There are tons of very nice resales on the market that are only 4 or 5 years old. Not hard to find 'em in great shape, and they'll be considerably cheaper than a comparable new home.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Not sure why anyone would buy new right now. There are tons of very nice resales on the market that are only 4 or 5 years old. Not hard to find 'em in great shape, and they'll be considerably cheaper than a comparable new home.
The OP posted that question almost 4 years ago.

I hope he didn't buy back them.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
The OP posted that question almost 4 years ago.

I hope he didn't buy back them.
Oh geez...didn't even notice the date. Heh...

Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

29 posts, read 45,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
None if you buy in this market you are asking for trouble it is the beggining of a bear market for a ton of reasons. Rent trust me we are renting for $1350 a month a nice 3 bed 2 bath in summerlin near the red rock if we bought 6 months ago first are payment would have been $2200 and the house is has dropped 30k to 40k . 1 more year and things will hopefully pull back another 10 to 15 %. than start insulting people with offers. Vegas supply 18 months ago was 2000 homes today 21000 plus. It will get worse do not let the realtors tell you different. Remember the stock brokers in 2000 talking up tech stocks yahoo $400 hit $10, just an example watch who you listen too.
Sad to say, I have to agree with you. I own a house in Vegas. I put 20 down. I have a fixed rate and I purchased before the boom. The value of my home is at 80,000. I purchased my home for 210,000. Even though I make my payments I don't ever see Nevada's prices going back to normal especially with this high unemployment. You are better renting my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: