Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,715 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just made an offer on a wonderful house in Anthem Highlands last week. It was accepted and we plan on closing the sale in a month. We currently live in the Northwest and want to use the Anthem house as a second residence. We researched several areas in Clark County before settling on the Anthem Highlands area. Question: we're back at home now (Washington) and now that the excitement has died, I have been doing add'l research on the master planned community and all that. After googling the address however, to my horror, I find that a tier 2 sex offender lives down the street from our new home. He was convicted of a rape in the mid 80's and he is not on any 'wanted' list. The fact remains that although he has served his time, he will always be a convicted sex offender.

Please be honest, would this kill the deal for any of you? The house we're buying has an alarm system, a secure entrance but one can never be too careful. I am totally in love with the house and I feel like I can live with this, but tell me if I am choosing a gorgeous house over common sense.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
seriously, if that is the one reason that you won't buy the house, I think your a little neurotic. There could also be a drug dealer next door or the guy across the street could be a plumber, maybe you should not take it because the plumber might want to dig up your pipes. Your viewpoint is a little strange at least to me. There are sex offenders everywhere, just like there are pimps, plumbers, nannies, and electricians. You are ridiculous, lol.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,715 times
ok. I agree. I do sound neurotic. I won't apologize though and you can keep laughing but your answer did help me so I thank you. This may not have come through, but we ARE excited about moving to Vegas.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I think it would be hard to live in any metropolitan area and NOT be in close proximity to some type of unsavory character. In my experience, it's what you don't know about that will bite you in the nether regions!

I would always assume this person is evil...... But we truly don't know the circumstances, what really happened. I think I would be happy this person appears to have been 'clean' for more than 20yrs. There does have to be a point when a debt to society has been paid.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 03-25-2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: cant spell

Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Yup Had a cocktail party discussion a few months ago about providing cheap or free room and board to a couple of tier 3 sex offenders in some nice upper middle class neighborhood in GV or Summerlin. Notify the neighbors, wait a few months and then buy four or five of the resulting homes for sale way below market. You then move the tier 3s to the next neighborhood.

Whadda ya think...35%? 40%? Revolutionize real estate...legal block busting.

Nah don't worry about it..there is at least one within a mile or so of just about everywhere.

I would be concerned about a tier 3 pedophile next door to small children. But other than that it is to be ignored.

We lived in Desert Shores when first in Vegas. One afternoon we get the whole bit...helicopters, swat teams, block sealed off...The guy who owned the property directly behind us had an odd hobby...he robbed banks..

Was a reasonable neighbor til they hauled him away.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
You are not crazy or ridiculous. We just bought a new house and one of the first things I did before buying was to do a sex offender search. You must in today's society. If I found one or two that were living very close to the house I wanted then I would not buy. You said the person is "down the street"... how far down? If it's the same street then I personally would probably not buy. If it's a good distance than I would. In the community I just bought at the nearest registered sex offender is almost 3 miles away. Very comfortable.

You are not being paranoid about things like that. Those search databases exist for this reason. You have to keep in mind that the response you have received thus far are not fitting to your situation. One is from a 16 year old boy and one is from an older man.

Most women would not buy if a sex offender, especially a convicted rapist, lived close by. Women are the ones that do and should worry about such an issue.

Now, that's not to say that you buy somewhere with none around and one doesn't move next door. You never know what will happen. But in this case you do no something, so you have to ask yourself if you are okay with it.

When it comes to sex offenses I don't care how much debt has been paid to society. Take an abnormal psychology course and you can learn about how those urges and feelings NEVER leave that person. The "rehabilitated" ones just learn how to not act upon those urges.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

So Redwingfan you are prepared to get up and move if an 82 year old tier 2 who likes older boys moves in on your block?

Actually our local offender down at the trailer park is 82 and confined to a wheel chair. Used to like pretty ladies but now he can't remember what to do with them or his name for that matter. And you would let him run you off your block?

And the last time I looked at our list over half were missing. May have moved to your Block RWF. You running a background check on all the neighbors?

One of the local one is a 40 year old lady. The database is vague on what she did. Don't even know if it is you girls or us guys who should sweat it...

Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
Boy, i am glad this conversation was brought up. I hadn't even thought about looking that info up. Well, there are none in my immediate neighborhood since we are in walking distance (way under a mile) to 3 schools. There is one in Sun City and another about a mile away. Believe you me, I will again be talking to my kids about talking to strangers, even going near people that I do not know personally. I'll probably be the mom who walks her kids to school everyday. I was paranoid enough here because I could not see my son's bus stop from our home.
There are sex offenders everywhere. Even here in my small city of Medina, OH.

We are finally going to be closing on our home this Friday. Boy, i hope everything goes smoothly!!! I may even have 2 bites on my home here!!!!

Olecapt- do you have any idea who were the home builders in The Hills? I can't find that info anywhere on the net.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 AM

Which tract? Or give me the street. There were multiple builders in the hills .

Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
Evergreen in the Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas