Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,496 times

Advertisements

I moved to Las Vegas from louisville about 6 years ago. I have to say that you are right on most of what you say. the "strip" is all glitz and nothing like anywhere else in the world, but once you get a couple of miles from their it is pretty much like every other large city in the country except for the slot machines in the supermarkets. The apartment you are paying $600 for in New Albany would probably be near $1000 here, but due to the subprime meltdown I could probably find you a bank owned condo buy for about the same amount as renting and my average utility bill for my 1900 sqft. home is not much more than $150/mo. I lived for some time in Beaumont, TX where every day from May to Oct is is going to be 95 degrees with 95% humidity. I will take 110 degrees with 8% humidity here any day. mod cut: soliciting removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Read our T.O.S., please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
i would love to moved to vegas but i must have a job first the hospital as a clerk whats the first move and how are the homes in summerlin- green velly

Old 02-08-2010, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times
Aloha everyone...

I'm sooo sick of living here in HAWAII... My fiance and I rented a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath for $2250. That's not including our monthly bills (water, electric, car pymt, cable, cell phone, gas, & food)... However, we're thinking of moving to Las Vegas because rent is a lot cheaper! Does anyone know if jobs are easy to find? We also have a 13 yr. old son and I'm sort of afraid of sending him to a school where there is a high rate of bullying! Can someone tell me more about Vegas?

Mahalo...

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,865,537 times
there are very few jobs unless you are talking about menial 8 buck an hour stuff..and a 13yr old.. unless you go private, sorry i don't recommend

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money666 View Post
i would love to moved to vegas but i must have a job first the hospital as a clerk whats the first move and how are the homes in summerlin- green velly
They say that Summerlin is a great place to live.... My co-worker said that her aunt lives in Summerlin and she loves it there!...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,440,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii-Girl76 View Post
Aloha everyone...

I'm sooo sick of living here in HAWAII... My fiance and I rented a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath for $2250. That's not including our monthly bills (water, electric, car pymt, cable, cell phone, gas, & food)... However, we're thinking of moving to Las Vegas because rent is a lot cheaper! Does anyone know if jobs are easy to find? We also have a 13 yr. old son and I'm sort of afraid of sending him to a school where there is a high rate of bullying! Can someone tell me more about Vegas?

Mahalo...
We have a lot of Hawaiian folk living here in Vegas...it's commonly called "the ninth island", LOL

You'll find everything less expensive here (that's one of the main reasons why so many Hawaii natives move here.) Unfortunately, you'd be coming from one tourist driven economy to another. Jobs are hard to find, and a lot of them if you don't have the experience, they don't pay all that well.

We have many beautiful neighborhoods to live in. Depending on where you could seek employment, then you could seek a place to live not far from there.

I know a couple Hawaiian folks, and I've met several of their friends who are from Hawaii. Every one of them loves Las Vegas, whether they moved here to escape the high prices of their home state, or because they had "island fever."

We have many Hawaiian themed events here in town, and the California Hotel is a great spot and central location for a lot of the new Vegas resident, former Hawaii residents, to enjoy and congregate.

If you could secure employment, plan your move well, I don't see why you wouldn't like to live in Las Vegas. If it's at all possible, a quick trip here to scout around (maybe even ask your co-worker if you could meet her aunt in Summerlin) would be a good plan.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you, and mahalo!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,337 times
Default Vegas

I have been really considering moving from Texas to Las Vegas to be closer to my sister and her children. I just wanted to comment on some of the things that I have read on this thread. First, it doesn't matter where you go there is crime everywhere. I live in a small town on the Gulf Coast of Texas and believe me we have our fair share of crime, heck they just found a man dead and a women shot several times clinging to life not to far from where I live and I live in a good neighborhood, so the comments on crime...whatever. Lets talk about traffic, if you have ever been to Texas at any point in your life and have had the opportunity to drive anywhere in the vacinity of Houston (that means any of the highways in or around the Houston area) you know how bad it is, on a good day it can take you 1-2 hours just to get home and when there is no traffic it would take 20 minutes. I have been in Las Vegas traffic and while yes it is heavy, I am used to it. Lets talk about the summer heat...I have experienced Las Vegas in the summer time and while it is hot it is not no where near what you will experience in Texas starting in March until October...80 at night with 100% humidity so there is no sense in trying to get cute to go anywhere because the moment you step outside the door you are dripping in sweat, the highs have been 100 degrees and factor in that good ole humidity and I can't begin to tell you how miserable it is. Not to mention the bigger than life mosquitos that we have to deal with year round. The hurricanes well I don't think I need to say anymore, they are horrible and put many people in danger along with leaving most with nothing after it's all said and done. Now lets talk about jobs, there are no jobs here either that pay you what you are worth, I believe this is true everywhere with the economy the way it is. Employers can be picky and do not have to pay what you would have been worth say 5 years ago, I know because I am not making anywhere near what I was making just a couple of years ago, as a matter of fact I am not even making half of what I was making. The cost of living is more than you make and most of the residents here are on public assistance because of this; however, if you happen to own anything you do not qualify. The schools are okay; however, both my children went to the same schools and while they did graduate they are not prepared for college. It really doesn't matter where you live in the United States all cities have their fair share of issues and problems and as soon as my lease is up here in Texas I am heading for Vegas and I am excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas