Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I live in Santa Clara near San Thomas and 101. I was here for the dot.com implosion as well, but I've never seen the local economy this bad. I'm still employed but I've lost count of the number of people I know that have been affected by valley layoffs. Like myself, all of them in the tech sector. The poor economy has served to moderate the cost of living from absurd to just ridiculous. However, at the risk of turning this into a political discussion, what I find the most offensive is the never ending stream of ridiculous legislation coming out of Sacramento.
My best friend works for C-Beyond and is doing well in that feild (telecom/isp/VOIP). Another friend worked for Seagate and was laid off after 20 years. Cousin worked at HP Palo Alto, also laid off after 12 years. Another friend worked for Sun Micro and was laid off, another for San Disk and was let go.. the list goes on and on. And your right, Sacramento doesn't make it any easier and they want to raise taxes on people that are already strapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Let's keep in mind...CityCenter's success will not be measured by simply holding a grand opening (similarly that its failure can't be measured by project reversal (tower redesign), lawsuits and the inability to make debt repayments on time.) Rather, these are all indicators of how things are going for that project. The real measure of success will be to see if the project lives up to its billing. Will it become a self-sustaining city within the city? Will it bring LV out of the bad economy and provide long-term benefit to LV, as a whole? Will it be the high-class operation it was envisioned to be? These things will not be apparent until way after the ribbon is cut by a drunk and smiling Mayor Goodman. We will have to wait to see.

MomMom...I would love for LV to scale back to that smaller town that you and others (Buzz, for another) moved to way back when. IMO, LV has gotten too big for its britches. Sad thing is, though, to do that now would leave painful reminders in its wake. I'm sure that those who were there when the city consisted of 100K to 500K population would love to go back to what LV was then...but is that possible...and at what negative cost?

IMO...Las Vegas' future is in its past.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Let's keep in mind...CityCenter's success will not be measured by simply holding a grand opening (similarly that its failure can't be measured by project reversal (tower redesign), lawsuits and the inability to make debt repayments on time.) Rather, these are all indicators of how things are going for that project. The real measure of success will be to see if the project lives up to its billing. Will it become a self-sustaining city within the city? Will it bring LV out of the bad economy and provide long-term benefit to LV, as a whole? Will it be the high-class operation it was envisioned to be? These things will not be apparent until way after the ribbon is cut by a drunk and smiling Mayor Goodman. We will have to wait to see.

MomMom...I would love for LV to scale back to that smaller town that you and others (Buzz, for another) moved to way back when. IMO, LV has gotten too big for its britches. Sad thing is, though, to do that now would leave painful reminders in its wake. I'm sure that those who were there when the city consisted of 100K to 500K population would love to go back to what LV was then...but is that possible...and at what negative cost?

IMO...Las Vegas' future is in its past.

City Center at this point comes out well. It simply can't fail. Not that MGM can't go bankrupt and its lenders/investors lose their shirt. But City Center will certainly succeed.

The strip is a pecking order. The high end will end up in City Center...and then Wynn and Bellagio and Mandalay. Then the next tiers.

I expect it will all level out. Those who reached to far will lose their shirt. But the properties are still immensely profitable as operations.

Vegas is unique. It will survive and continue. Hopefully with a little more modest future plan.

And I think it a good thing. Nothing wrong with catering to whales...but I also think we need some places with two buck beers...

Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
City Center at this point comes out well. It simply can't fail. Not that MGM can't go bankrupt and its lenders/investors lose their shirt. But City Center will certainly succeed.

The strip is a pecking order. The high end will end up in City Center...and then Wynn and Bellagio and Mandalay. Then the next tiers.

I expect it will all level out. Those who reached to far will lose their shirt. But the properties are still immensely profitable as operations.

Vegas is unique. It will survive and continue. Hopefully with a little more modest future plan.

And I think it a good thing. Nothing wrong with catering to whales...but I also think we need some places with two buck beers...

When do you think the Vegas Economy will begin to rebound?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
When do you think the Vegas Economy will begin to rebound?
Late this year, or by next year for sure.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,813 times
Is City Center really entirely high-end? That's a massive amount of capacity to cater to a niche.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
Is City Center really entirely high-end? That's a massive amount of capacity to cater to a niche.
Looks to me like they are aiming for the higher end.

http://www.citycenter.com/

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,527 times
Las Vegas is doomed to fail. The strip is disgusting, a street of huge monuments to the egos and greed of multi millionaires! The problem here is that no one thinks, everyone is in it for the short term and the quick buck. A city can't function without a diversified economy and without regulated growth. This whole state is as doomed as the wild west ideology that guides it!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
oh shut up already

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikdreamer View Post
Las Vegas is doomed to fail. The strip is disgusting, a street of huge monuments to the egos and greed of multi millionaires! The problem here is that no one thinks, everyone is in it for the short term and the quick buck. A city can't function without a diversified economy and without regulated growth. This whole state is as doomed as the wild west ideology that guides it!

LOL. There is a new one for the forums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: