U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 AM
 
13 posts, read 43,648 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to town this month and I'd like to go out one night, gamble and enjoy my free cocktails without having to worry about driving home afterwards. I moved into the Dolce by the Lakes complex on Durango off Sahara, about 4 or 5 miles from the strip (although I wouldn't drink and drive even if it was much less than that). I figure my 3 options are

a) take a cab to and fro' (too much money, I'm guessing)

b) rent a cheap room (can get the golden gate or sahara for $19.00 (plus a $6.00 resort fee at the latter). just seems like a waste of money, though.

c) the bus. this would obviously be the cheapest choice, but let's say I party center strip until 3:30am on a weekday, will I be able to catch a bus from there going east to Sahara, and then on Sahara going north to Durango? Is the transfer free? Do the buses even run all night? And if so, how often?

How would it work if I chose downtown, bus wise? I know there's a website that gives schedules and routes, but I prefer 1st hand experience here.

Any advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 8,958,970 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by YadaYoda View Post
Hello, I just moved to town this month and I'd like to go out one night, gamble and enjoy my free cocktails without having to worry about driving home afterwards. I moved into the Dolce by the Lakes complex on Durango off Sahara, about 4 or 5 miles from the strip (although I wouldn't drink and drive even if it was much less than that). I figure my 3 options are

a) take a cab to and fro' (too much money, I'm guessing)

b) rent a cheap room (can get the golden gate or sahara for $19.00 (plus a $6.00 resort fee at the latter). just seems like a waste of money, though.

c) the bus. this would obviously be the cheapest choice, but let's say I party center strip until 3:30am on a weekday, will I be able to catch a bus from there going east to Sahara, and then on Sahara going north to Durango? Is the transfer free? Do the buses even run all night? And if so, how often?

How would it work if I chose downtown, bus wise? I know there's a website that gives schedules and routes, but I prefer 1st hand experience here.

Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome to our fabulous city, Yada!!

No need to worry, all of those options you mentioned are viable, however we have a service here in town that will pick you up and drop you off at home, even if you drive there in your own car, they'll drive you and your car home!

Designated Drivers, Inc. - Las Vegas - Home

Thanks for asking and being responsible and most of all, enjoy the excitement of your new home!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,920,027 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Welcome to our fabulous city, Yada!!

No need to worry, all of those options you mentioned are viable, however we have a service here in town that will pick you up and drop you off at home, even if you drive there in your own car, they'll drive you and your car home!

Designated Drivers, Inc. - Las Vegas - Home

Thanks for asking and being responsible and most of all, enjoy the excitement of your new home!
That is pretty costly also. I believe you can hire a town car for less. There is an hourly bus down Sahara all night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: downtown Las Vegas
252 posts, read 868,978 times
Reputation: 102
Maybe you could take a bus in (when they are still running more frequently) then cab it home? The DD service is $55 minimum. Much cheaper than a DUI, but probably more than the cost of a cab one way.

olecapt - how does the towncar thing work? do they drive you all night? or just pick up/drop off then return you home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: las vegas, nv
103 posts, read 310,862 times
Reputation: 40
FYI...there is absolutley NO BUS SERVICE on Durango near Sahara AT ALL...But the Sahara bus does go to and past Durango
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,920,027 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
Maybe you could take a bus in (when they are still running more frequently) then cab it home? The DD service is $55 minimum. Much cheaper than a DUI, but probably more than the cost of a cab one way.

olecapt - how does the towncar thing work? do they drive you all night? or just pick up/drop off then return you home?
They charge an hourly rate with a one hour minimum. Unfortunately a couple of years ago they realized that we were getting a great deal in the NW and slapped a surcharge on.

The town car is about 10 bucks cheaper than a limo....though most of the time they send a limo at the town car rate.

I have used it regularly for visitors. Tale the limo for a couple or three hours and wander up and down the strip. Bring our own drinks and goodies and stop at various sights as the mood hits.

Actually a lot cheaper than the same period in a strip bar....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
 
482 posts, read 1,290,277 times
Reputation: 87
Find a larger casino near your home. You can get a 24 hour pass on the bus for 4 bucks. Otherwise it is 1.75 each way, and you would have to pay again for transfers. I use a trail, that runs through a nice park, to get to Rampart Casino, which is right next door to Suncoast. I told the girl I would let her know, when "I do NOT want a drink." RTC - Public Transportation - Current Routes & Schedules (http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/transit/route/ - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top