Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 AM

29 posts, read 163,401 times

Advertisements

Which areas do you think are unfairly labeled by this crime map? Do you feel some areas are better/worse?

There's a difference between

1) crime incidents and
2) always feeling like you're in the wrong place and you should leave, or stay in your car with your doors locked

Which areas are more accurately described by #1 or #2?

Green - Yellow - Orange - Red
(from lowest crime level to highest crime level. red signifies highest crime level)

Last edited by pentel; 04-08-2009 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
That map doesn't show the legend, but I don't need it to know where I'm safe and where I'm not. If it's daytime you are reasonably safe anywhere except for a small area of the old part of North Las Vegas. Even there you'll probably survive. At night is a different story, and several areas become unsafe. Mostly it's the older areas of town, and I'm sure I'll be chastised for saying this, but it's the predominately black areas that are most dangerous. Before you call me racist, I've been told by black people who live in some of those areas that they might hear gunfire almost every night, and that certain areas in the Westside take on a whole different look at night.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 AM

444 posts, read 1,615,027 times
1. Is that a 2007 map?

2. I guess we are to assume that from center outward is worst to best?

3. I couldn't read zips.

I can tell ya that 89108 gets a bum rap at times, if that's the kind of info you were asking for.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 AM

31 posts, read 187,148 times
i think 89084 & 89085 probably are'nt that accurate. thats aliante right?
and i wouldn't call you racist buzz. I'm black, and its probably reasonable to say that many city's neighborhoods across the country with a HIGH percentage of blacks/minorities may mean more violence or crime. Idk why though =/ , because on the other hand i've been to many MANYYYY places where caucasians are the majority, and it seems pretty unsafe and "GHETTO". I guess its not really about race now is it? But i'll agree that central area's look right to me.. assuming red means DANGER. lol.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 AM

29 posts, read 163,401 times
are you saying 89084 and 89085 are better or worse?

btw, i just edited my original post to show the legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hky3212002 View Post
i think 89084 & 89085 probably are'nt that accurate. thats aliante right?
and i wouldn't call you racist buzz. I'm black, and its probably reasonable to say that many city's neighborhoods across the country with a HIGH percentage of blacks/minorities may mean more violence or crime. Idk why though =/ , because on the other hand i've been to many MANYYYY places where caucasians are the majority, and it seems pretty unsafe and "GHETTO". I guess its not really about race now is it? But i'll agree that central area's look right to me.. assuming red means DANGER. lol.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
Which areas do you think are unfairly labeled by this crime map? Do you feel some areas are better/worse?

There's a difference between

1) crime incidents and
2) always feeling like you're in the wrong place and you should leave, or stay in your car with your doors locked

Which areas are more accurately described by #1 or #2?
Most of those zip codes simply cover too large an area to fall into the 2) category as a whole. 89109, for example, is one of the highest crime zip codes in the country. It includes the Strip, lots of ultra luxury high-rise condos, and some of the worst apartment blocks in the Valley. There's a big difference between walking down Sierra Vista at 3 am and walking through Encore at the same time, even though they are only half a mile apart.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
89084 is Aliante, 89085 is supposed to be Park Highlands, but not sure if it's still being constructed.
89084 should be more green than yellow.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
89086 shouldn't be in the red. More like yellow. That's the newer northeast side, between the Pig Farm and Nellis. New and growing area.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 AM

31 posts, read 187,148 times
yeah i was saying that i believe 89084&5 should be green... well i would think it' be green.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
These charts reflect the best avialable data. There are however some footnotes that may help...

The four color codes may be insufficient. In fact in the case we looked at yesterday we were in a boundary condition. One zip was just yellow and the other zip about 5 percent higher was orange. I will see if I can arrive at a more graduated scale maybe green to grey or something in a continuos way...the problem with that though is it gets lost on some displays. I could add the rank or the actual number. It is however hard to fit. Maybe I will do a flyover message with the rank and numeric.

Sparse areas with low population are sensitive to a very small number of incidents. What orange or red say in such a case may be that nobody lives there.

Note that tourist cause a good bit of the central city crime but are not in the population numbers. Thus strip and downtown take a beating. But that is how it is done.

High crime areas in Vegas are not black. More drug rich. The worst areas are a white/black/hispanic mix. Fremont around eastern or crack alley for instance. There are tough black and hispanic neigborhoods but they don't hit the top of the crime list.

I don't know of anywhere in Las Vegas where I would not show a house in the daytime. There are numerous areas where I would feel uncomfortable on foot at night. Particularly areas adjacent to the strip.

You do hear gunfire in various places in the north edge of Las Vegas and the south part of NLV. That tends to be hispanic in general.

Also crime is very heavily centered on the arterials and secondary streets. It is actually pretty rare in the neighborhoods themselves with the exception of burglary. So you are probably an order of magnitude safer at home than on the main street leading in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas