Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If there is a pet limit in more area's, how do we explain some of my friends that have 8-9 cats? All indoor.
In my neighborhood, the governing documents state we can have 3 pets max. Then updated docs showed just 2.
Places like Pahrump are more lenient. But it's a long boring drive to Las Vegas.

I have to disagree about Michelles statement above where she says all pets impact the property. I own my own place, my cats use their litter box, never going outside of it. They are senior kitties. Indoor only. Sleep a lot. One is almost 9, the other will be 10 in 2 weeks. They don't wreck the place, and besides it's mine. If they ever did wreck anything, like carpet, I would replace it before I would sell the place.
I believe everywhere in Clark County has a three dog or three cat limit.

In the County you can obtain a pet fancier permit which expands it to 6 dogs or 9 cats.

Even cats take a toll pink. Maybe 5% of the population will walk in, say 'This place had cats" and leave. They are almost always correct. Not a big deal but real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

90 posts, read 316,806 times
Quote:
10.08.130 Permit to keep dogs and cats.
(a) No person shall keep more than three dogs over three months of age, nor more than three cats over three months of age, at any one place, or on any premises, or in any one residence located within the jurisdiction of the county.
On the Clark County website Clark County, Nevada - Government Services it specifically says no more than 3 dogs AND 3 cats - so by my reading of it I'm legal for the county. I was just wondering how strict HOAs are and if I had 3 cats inside would anyone likely bother me if there was no noise or odor nuisance and the cats never went out? I'm not worried about the dogs - it's not like I can hide them so they would have to meet the requirements. I figure as long as the homeowner is good with it, I suppose I will take my chances.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
If I'm not mistaken I think most HOAs would have a hard time telling you what you can do INSIDE your house. In ours, generally, whatever can't be seen from the street is no one's business...even though there are some people here that think it is.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
I have a hard time believing that the county regulates your critters. After all, 98% of the county is rural desert, and a lot of it is well over 100 miles from Las Vegas...and a long ways from any community for that matter. It's 8,000 square miles of mostly emptiness.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:32 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Even cats take a toll pink. Maybe 5% of the population will walk in, say 'This place had cats" and leave. They are almost always correct. Not a big deal but real.
Sure, there are some people that don't care if their cat misses the litterbox all the time or poops and pees in the closet. Or they could have male cats that spray. Those types can ruin a place for sure.
But not all cats will do that and the majority are well behaved little furry kids.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM

90 posts, read 316,806 times
Actually most cats don't cause a place to smell - as long as you keep their box clean. When we've looked at houses, the odors I've noticed the most are strong ethnic cooking odors and houses where people have been smokers. Those odors linger long after the occupants are gone and are far more offensive to me than pet smells. That said, we've never had anyone comment about "smelling cats" at our house and believe me I have friends and family who wouldn't hesitate to let me know if it did smell! I honestly don't know why people are so pet-unfriendly. We plan to rent our house out here and are allowing pets upon approval with a deposit. As for size of dogs - many of the small dogs I know are far, far more destructive than the big dogs. The worst our big dogs have ever done is dig a hole or two in the flower beds - which is easily repaired. I know small dogs that have totally chewed up woodwork in a house and peed everywhere. These regulations just seem so arbitrary and put forth by a certain type of uppity people who possibly hate animals in general or look at them as fashion accessories (i.e. only purse sized dogs).

Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
Actually most cats don't cause a place to smell - as long as you keep their box clean. When we've looked at houses, the odors I've noticed the most are strong ethnic cooking odors and houses where people have been smokers. Those odors linger long after the occupants are gone and are far more offensive to me than pet smells. That said, we've never had anyone comment about "smelling cats" at our house and believe me I have friends and family who wouldn't hesitate to let me know if it did smell! I honestly don't know why people are so pet-unfriendly. We plan to rent our house out here and are allowing pets upon approval with a deposit. As for size of dogs - many of the small dogs I know are far, far more destructive than the big dogs. The worst our big dogs have ever done is dig a hole or two in the flower beds - which is easily repaired. I know small dogs that have totally chewed up woodwork in a house and peed everywhere. These regulations just seem so arbitrary and put forth by a certain type of uppity people who possibly hate animals in general or look at them as fashion accessories (i.e. only purse sized dogs).
There are simply people who react to cats. I suspect it may be dander rather than odor. But they do. They are not a huge percentage but they do exist. I am of the other sort. I don't smell dogs or cats unless a very high level but I do smell smokers pretty well. The Admiral however will find smells objectionable at levels I can't even detect.

The large dog rules are almost always anti-pit bull. There is also a group strongly anti-dog over excrement. Live in the County. Nobody cares much about it.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM

The smells I find the most offensive are old cigarette odors seeped into the walls and carpet.
I can also tell by walking into someones home if they have too many animals, the stench nearly wipes me out. I have a friend in Michigan that collects cats. I could not even go in her house. I was literally gagging on the front step. I think that would be a tough one to sell. And I don't get how people can live in places like that if the smell makes their neighbors almost pass out while they are walking by.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Yeah Pink....I know what you mean! Some people get out of control with things like that and lose touch with reality. Look at those Dugger's...18 kids??? Are they out of their ****ing minds??? Same thing with Octomom...and that Jon & Kate +8 klan. IMO...I think HOA's should start restricting offspring!...seriously!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yeah Pink....I know what you mean! Some people get out of control with things like that and lose touch with reality. Look at those Dugger's...18 kids??? Are they out of their ****ing minds??? Same thing with Octomom...and that Jon & Kate +8 klan. IMO...I think HOA's should start restricting offspring!...seriously!
That Octomom is just insane. She already had 6 kids and wanted 8 more??? Now they want to do a reality show for her. I won't watch it.
Anyone that wants a million kids is just insane anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas