Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM

492 posts, read 2,102,245 times

Advertisements

Hi --

I have a biz trip to Vegas in a couple of weeks -- the usual, trapped in meeting rooms at the conference hotel for 48 hours..

However, due to flights, etc, I am arriving 23 hours before I have to report to the meeting and so I intend to rent a car, go somewhere not in the city, with hiking or interesting scenery, for Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.

Suggestions on where to go for a quick overnight trip away from Vegas? Places to stay (<$100)? Anything in/near state parks? Valley of Fire? Red Rocks?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 PM

444 posts, read 1,608,137 times
www.piochenevada.com/Camping_Fishing.htm

www.piochenevada.com/Lodging.htm

Is this the type of thing you had in mind? There are others. You just need to do a lot of googling. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Hi --

I have a biz trip to Vegas in a couple of weeks -- the usual, trapped in meeting rooms at the conference hotel for 48 hours..

However, due to flights, etc, I am arriving 23 hours before I have to report to the meeting and so I intend to rent a car, go somewhere not in the city, with hiking or interesting scenery, for Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.

Suggestions on where to go for a quick overnight trip away from Vegas? Places to stay (<$100)? Anything in/near state parks? Valley of Fire? Red Rocks?

Thanks!
If you arrive Tuesday afternoon and only have the rest of the day, plus Wednesday morning (this would be easier if we knew the time schedule), there really isn't anyplace that you could go to spend the night and do any hiking before dark, or to expect to get back here for a conference in the afternoon. You probably have time to go out to Red Rock Canyon and do some hiking before dark on Tuesday, and maybe even get up and do some more Wednesday morning. But stay in your hotel. That said, you might also be able to get a room at Mt. Charleston Hotel,

New Resort on Mount Charleston > Home

or a cabin at Mt. Charleston Lodge, Mt. Charleston Lodge

and do some hiking up there, and still make it back to town for your meetings. Those are the only places on Mt. Charleston that offer lodging. It is about 45 to 60 minutes from the Strip give or take ten minutes.

Red Rock Canyon would be easiest to get to and to find trails without knowing the area. It's about 20 to 40 minutes from the Strip, depending on traffic. If you want more precise info, let us know your schedule.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
www.piochenevada.com/Camping_Fishing.htm

www.piochenevada.com/Lodging.htm

Is this the type of thing you had in mind? There are others. You just need to do a lot of googling. Good Luck and Enjoy.
That's a good 3 -3½ hours away and really not much hiking there. More of a fishing/camping spot. Doesn't sound like they have time for that. Sounds like they aren't familiar with our wide open spaces, and long distances between towns. Might be able to make it to the lake, but finding where to hike would waste their limited time. Valley of Fire might be a possibility, as long as they know they'd have to come back to town overnight.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,638,443 times
Pioche is a nice little town, with lots of trees. You honestly won't believe you're in Southern Nevada. If you do go, be sure to check out the little cafe "downtown". It's really good.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Pioche is a nice little town, with lots of trees. You honestly won't believe you're in Southern Nevada. If you do go, be sure to check out the little cafe "downtown". It's really good.
A.L., Pioche is not in Southern Nevada, it's in Central Nevada. Isn't it? Trees? Hmmm. Well, a few. The Million Dollar Courthouse is the main attraction, with the imprints of the horse hooves in the wooden floor where the outlaw tried to hide from deputies by riding inside the courthouse; and the Pioche Museum with the list of all the lawmen that were shot down by outlaws. Many of them only lasted a few days on the job. It was the epitome of the lawless western town you see in movies.

Doesn't sound like that's what the OP is looking for though.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,638,443 times
Well, it's south of Tonopah! I wasn't the one driving, but we were still in Nevada at least. It definitely has more trees than 95 north of Vegas. I didn't see the cathouse, it wasn't that kind of trip.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
A.L., Pioche is not in Southern Nevada, it's in Central Nevada. Isn't it? Trees? Hmmm. Well, a few. The Million Dollar Courthouse is the main attraction, with the imprints of the horse hooves in the wooden floor where the outlaw tried to hide from deputies by riding inside the courthouse; and the Pioche Museum with the list of all the lawmen that were shot down by outlaws. Many of them only lasted a few days on the job. It was the epitome of the lawless western town you see in movies.

Doesn't sound like that's what the OP is looking for though.
I agree with Buzz. I have been through Pioche five or six times. The courthouse and the other attractions are interesting ... for an hour.

I have two suggestions - both close-by and both in California.

First, in Tecopa Hot Springs, CA, there is the China Date Ranch, a small farm in a canyon that raises approximately 20 types of dates. While that is interesting and the bakery is very good, what makes the place worth a visit are the trails. Check out the website. That whole area is very scenic. There is a two mile hike across a river into a slot canyon. The owners will give you a trail map upon request. There are also hot spring mineral baths available in that town

http://www.chinaranch.com/

Second, the Mojave Desert National reserve has a number of interesting hikes. Within 90 minutes from Las Vegas, there are remnants of US 66, the restored Kelso Depot, several volcanic cinder cones and the Kelso Dunes.

Mojave National Preserve - Things To Do (U.S. National Park Service)

These are different places than you will generally see on most travel boards. However, my wife and I are really into the "off the beaten track" sites. They are not the usual recommendations which are also worthwhile.

Make sure to bring water and food as services are pretty limited (and expensive).

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 PM

252 posts, read 903,316 times
If you get here early morning (sounds like it if you have 23 hours).... you could probably hit Red Rock Canyon for a nice hike then drive up to the lodge at Mt. Charleston. Probably not time for hiking there as well, but there will still be enough light to see the sights. Still snow up there! Possibly sneak in a break o dawn hike?
Otherwise, Death Valley is pretty close and there are places to stay there. If you've never been, definitely worth seeing. Plus with all the rain we got this winter, there may be lots of flowers blooming!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Well, it's south of Tonopah! I wasn't the one driving, but we were still in Nevada at least. It definitely has more trees than 95 north of Vegas. I didn't see the cathouse, it wasn't that kind of trip.
Are you sure you're talking about Pioche in Lincoln County about 19 miles north of Caliente? I don't think prostitution is legal in Lincoln County. It's just about directly east of Tonopah by about 150 miles more or less. Go to this map and zoom out. You aren't talking about Beatty are you?
Map of Pioche, NV by MapQuest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas