Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actuallly the heavy duty speculators made a fortune and then a second in Phoenix. When some of the locals jumped in they got slaughtered. But the CA guys who started this all made out like bandits.

They may well have gotten their comeuppance in the end...but I don't think so. Certainly they did well at least through Phoenix.

And I think a lot of that money is still around though some of them may have gotten slaughtered in the stock market.

There is a huge amount of cash appearing in Las Vegas. Working around 1.5 million in sales at the moment of which over half is cash.
I don't know why you believe there was something magical about Phoenix speculators. Like they had any more wisdom than say those that bid up prices in Miami, Vegas, the Inland Empire etc. Did every speculator lose all their money? No, of course not, but the sheer number of foreclosures in Phoenix indicate that many did. Simply put, most of the dumb money has been drained out of the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 AM

255 posts, read 556,725 times
Good points all. I can't take credit for specuvestor (I discovered that term from thehousingbubbleblog) but it does seem to apply many of the fools from prior years. A lot of the california speculators probably blew their winnings by doubling down in other locales. Very few actually got out at the top and saved their money. Several anecdotes come to mind such as Casey Serin. I think much of the money coming in now is from new investors such as myself and others. No one is looking for home runs here in this crowd. Simply grinding it out is all we can hope for and beat a measly 2% cd or a stock market I don't understand or bonds from companies or cities going bankrupt.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I don't know why you believe there was something magical about Phoenix speculators. Like they had any more wisdom than say those that bid up prices in Miami, Vegas, the Inland Empire etc. Did every speculator lose all their money? No, of course not, but the sheer number of foreclosures in Phoenix indicate that many did. Simply put, most of the dumb money has been drained out of the system.
I make no claims about Phoenix speculators. The were the same set of Californians that rode the up in Las Vegas and than went to Phoenix and then somewhere else.

I don't believe this group got hurt in Las Vegas or Phoenix. Made a mint in both and then left. Probably on to TX after Phoenix.

In general the losers were local owner occupants and then local speculators. As the Vegas market crashed 90% was locally owned and 60% owner occupied.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I make no claims about Phoenix speculators. The were the same set of Californians that rode the up in Las Vegas and than went to Phoenix and then somewhere else.

I don't believe this group got hurt in Las Vegas or Phoenix. Made a mint in both and then left. Probably on to TX after Phoenix.

In general the losers were local owner occupants and then local speculators. As the Vegas market crashed 90% was locally owned and 60% owner occupied.
Does this California cartel have an official name? The bubble markets appreciated roughly along the same timeline. How did these Californians ride the up in Vegas, then the up in Phoenix, make a mint in both markets before moving on to Texas?

And why is it that you know of these Californian's activities in Vegas and Phoenix, but appear to have lost track of them now? They are probably in Texas? Have the Californians taken additional measures to hide their activity from you?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,399 times
Maybe the Capt. is talking about the PGA Tour.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 PM

255 posts, read 556,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
Maybe the Capt. is talking about the PGA Tour.
Where's his tinfoil hat?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Does this California cartel have an official name? The bubble markets appreciated roughly along the same timeline. How did these Californians ride the up in Vegas, then the up in Phoenix, make a mint in both markets before moving on to Texas?

And why is it that you know of these Californian's activities in Vegas and Phoenix, but appear to have lost track of them now? They are probably in Texas? Have the Californians taken additional measures to hide their activity from you?
The Phoenix peak was a year behind the Las Vegas peak. I though that was widely known. You don't follow this stuff?

I don't know nor care where they went next. I follow Las Vegas...and Phoenix and LA a little.

And you obviously know so little you should avoid embarrassing yourself and let it lie.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
The Phoenix peak was a year behind the Las Vegas peak. I though that was widely known. You don't follow this stuff?
Do you have a cite for that information, or is this just some more of that stuff you seem to make up as you go along?

The Phoenix housing peak - Case-Shiller data. Maybe you've heard of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case-Shiller

Looking at the data from peak-thru-January 2009, Dallas is the least hurt, down 10.8% from its peak in June 2007, while Phoenix is down 48.5% from its peak in June of 2006.
http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...ase_033114.pdf
The Vegas housing peak - From The Las Vegas Sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Sun

The $155,603 price marks a 50.6 percent decline from the market’s peak in June 2006 when the median price was $315,000, according to the Realtors’ group.
Home prices drop to less than half 2006 peak - Las Vegas Sun
So, the California cartel rode the Phoenix market up and sold, then came to Vegas and rode the market up and sold, when both markets peaked at the same time? That's amazing!
Quote:
I don't know nor care where they went next. I follow Las Vegas...and Phoenix and LA a little.
Yeah, they seem to have covered their tracks pretty well after their Phoenix and Vegas exploits. People in the know put them in Texas though.
Quote:
And you obviously know so little you should avoid embarrassing yourself and let it lie.
Bwahahaha.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Unfortunately, YoY price changes in housing and peak housing prices are not the same thing. One measures a rate of change, the other a terminal value. You're really not very good at this.

It's really early though. Maybe you can take the chart down before too many other people see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: