Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 29,741 times

Advertisements

We have wintered in las vegas for three years and I have never left the air conditioner on in the summer while we are gone,and have had no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
I think you'll regret it in the long term, gkernoh. To let a dwelling sit for days on end with temperatures in the 110+ degree heat I believe will eventually take it's toll various items inside as well as structural problems.

Read post #5 in this thread by Olecapt for possible consequences.

I know that the temperature I hear most to set when gone during the summer is 90 degrees. However, as I've said, my electric bill still seems unreasonable even leaving the thermostat at between 93-95. That's why I've been contemplating setting at something in the high 90s.

A friend of mine who left for the summer, had his a/c go out and didn't know it until he got back four months later and he found some abnormalities in his wood cabinetry.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
drinkme, I think the newer digital thermostats are auto-change from heating to cooling and cooling to heating. The one that I've been looking at is this one but I think other manufacturers have similar models:
I saw that at Home Depot the other day. It was $99.00. Probably worth it as long as the quality is good and they don't go out on you.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
Buzz, did you say you belong to the cool share program that Nevada Power has. If so, about how much do you save. I am looking into since we moved into a bigger home and have a pool now. I am scared to see what my bills are going to be in the summer months. So I am trying to look into ways to save $.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM

65 posts, read 231,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Buzz, did you say you belong to the cool share program that Nevada Power has. If so, about how much do you save. I am looking into since we moved into a bigger home and have a pool now. I am scared to see what my bills are going to be in the summer months. So I am trying to look into ways to save $.

AND, I believe that you can operate this from a home computer - so you can check the temperature in the house while you are away and adjust as necessary.

NV Energy CoolShare

Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I just wanted to know if it is a big savings. I work from home, so my daughter and I would be the ones feeling it when they turn up the temperature. We can always get into the pool, so I just wanted to know if it was worth it.

That is pretty neat about the programming it from your computer.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,526 times
Cool Share was brought up by flyingtiger once before in January. He received no responses, so I guess its not all that popular.

Their introductory site didn't show any savings incentive. Could be one I guess. If you call them they have cool share program reps. Must be the only place to get answers.

Flyingtiger brought up 2 good points for those living out of town. 1. You can control temp on the web. 2. You could therefore adjust the coolness or heat before you got on your flight.

Locals must not be very sold on it. One article stated that there were 30,000 cutomers doing it. Doesn't seem all that high of participation to me.

www.coolshareprogram.com/howitworks.html Good Luck Bully ......

Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
i like the idea but where does it say that I can control the temps from away.. the way i read it, is that the power company is adjusting temps, not me

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM

The thermostat they put in you home, you have access to control it to the web. But yes they also do, that is why I just want to know from someone that has it. I swore Buzz said he did. I am at home so, controlling it from my computer would just be lazy for me. LOL, but if I can save money, I am all for it.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM

269 posts, read 976,692 times
I am trying to get Cool Share installed as we speak. I had an appointment back end of March, they came out and said I needed a thermostat they didn't have...white Rodgers, I believe...they should be in next week. Call back two weeks later and they said early May. Just called again and now they say early June. I still would like to try but it is more trouble than it is worth I think at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas