Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,952 times

Advertisements

Do you have one or two? I have two thermostats, so I am wondering if they will install two or just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Do you have one or two? I have two thermostats, so I am wondering if they will install two or just one.
That is because you have two A/C units. Be glad. If you get in the program I am sure they will put the device on both.

But note that you already have the option of simply setting the one where you ain't to 90 degrees and staying out of there most of the day. Normally that will be the bedrooms. So pump it down to 76 or 78 in the evening and over night then back to 90 at 9 AM. The auto thermostats can be set up that way.

We have the problem that we spend our day in our two offices...which are actually two of the 4 bedrooms. And then we use the public area. We are however thinking about having the ducts reworked to tie the two bedrooms to the living area or even installing a third unit or built in units on the two offices. Then we could cool the working area as low as desired while leaving the public area at 80 and the bedrooms at 90.

OUr AC units are ancient and we keep trying to convince them to fail so they can be replaced under the warrantee we spend $500 a year for...but no luck...they run on and on....And we have to get the spring maintenance done to maintain the warrantee...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Yeah, we have the programmable ones. But with the cool share program it says they give you a credit on your bill. Just trying to see if it is worth it. They can say it will save you so much, but I really do not trust the utility companies, they keep trying to take all my money, LOL!

We have 5 bedrooms, and most of the time it is just my daughter and I home. One of the bedrooms is my office, which is up stairs. When it was warm outside my office and our bedroom were quite warm. So, I do not want to waste my time or make it warmer if it is not going to save me money with their program.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Yeah, we have the programmable ones. But with the cool share program it says they give you a credit on your bill. Just trying to see if it is worth it. They can say it will save you so much, but I really do not trust the utility companies, they keep trying to take all my money, LOL!

We have 5 bedrooms, and most of the time it is just my daughter and I home. One of the bedrooms is my office, which is up stairs. When it was warm outside my office and our bedroom were quite warm. So, I do not want to waste my time or make it warmer if it is not going to save me money with their program.
I can't tell for sure but I will make a strong bet that you want to move your office downstairs at least in the summer..

Classically the upstairs and downstairs are on different AC units. What you want to do is let the upstairs get warm while it insulates the downstairs

You can probably cut your bills by 25% if you can end up downstairs during the heat of the day.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Thank you for the constructive answers Reps where I can give em

I am also amazed that nobody has built a thermostat that applies heat or a/c as needed. Every thermostat I come across requires that the homeowner flip a switch... unlike a car's climate control, which applies heat or a/c as required.
There is programable thermostats that you can get from the utility company and you can check it on your computer and make changes to it as needed. Also the utility company will pay you back if you let them instal a special thermostate that they can turn down your air in the heavy usuage periods of the day.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,401 times
I would consider thermostatically controlled ceiling fans. A good ceiling fan will run very slowly, whioh will still circulate the air, and could probably prevent the need for aircon.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
I would consider thermostatically controlled ceiling fans. A good ceiling fan will run very slowly, whioh will still circulate the air, and could probably prevent the need for aircon.
Ceiling fans will move air and creat a wind chill effect on your skin when you're in the room. But they won't drop the temperature. So once the air is hot a ceiling fan can't cool it down.

Thus leaving a ceiling fan running while you are away won't do a whole lot of good. They are for when you are in the room.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
There is programable thermostats that you can get from the utility company and you can check it on your computer and make changes to it as needed. Also the utility company will pay you back if you let them instal a special thermostate that they can turn down your air in the heavy usuage periods of the day.
They don't install a thermostat unless that is something new. I've had the system for years. What they do is add a radio controlled device to your a/c unit on the roof, and for a few minutes every hour, during the hottest part of the day, they shut off the unit. It may be for twenty minutes, but no more. I don't even notice when they do it, unless I happen to think about it. Then I'll notice it's slightly warmer inside, but it's no big deal. It saves you money on the bill, plus they give you a discount for being in the program.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
They don't install a thermostat unless that is something new. I've had the system for years. What they do is add a radio controlled device to your a/c unit on the roof, and for a few minutes every hour, during the hottest part of the day, they shut off the unit. It may be for twenty minutes, but no more. I don't even notice when they do it, unless I happen to think about it. Then I'll notice it's slightly warmer inside, but it's no big deal. It saves you money on the bill, plus they give you a discount for being in the program.
Is it a lot of money? They do a thermostat now, so they can control it by the computer.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Is it a lot of money? They do a thermostat now, so they can control it by the computer.
Is what a lot of money? The discount? They don't charge you, they pay you to let them do it. And, are you sure it's a thermostat? I only know of the radio controlled shut off. How would they do it by computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas