Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
This "cause of death" given at the press conference is far more media friendly and less likely to tarnish the memory of a well known Las Vegas celebrity.

The whole thing reeks of "media speak"
I wouldn't call it media friendly. The media like stuff that sells it's product, i,e, dirt.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
I actually meant "PUBLICITY friendly" meaning to quiet any wagging tongues. I don't know why I used the word "media."

The media were fed only what the publicity team wants them to know. In my opinion, I say he died of a drug overdose and he might have been abusing this drug for a long time, contrary to what the coroner stated to the public today.

Last edited by MomMom; 06-09-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
I actually meant "PUBLICITY friendly" meaning to quiet any wagging tongues. I don't know why I used the word "media."

They media are fed only what the publicity team wants them to know.
I hear ya.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Let's face it, he died of a drug overdose.

This "cause of death" given at the press conference is far more media friendly and less likely to tarnish the memory of a well known Las Vegas celebrity.

The whole thing reeks of "media speak"
Basically, pharmaceutical heroin.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Basically, pharmaceutical heroin.
Exactly

From wikipedia on the drug :

Like all opioids used for analgesia, hydromorphone is potentially habit-forming and is listed in Schedule II of the United States' Controlled Substances Act of 1970 as well as in similar levels under the drugs laws of practically all other countries and is listed in the Single Convention On Narcotic Drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydromorphone

Old 06-09-2009, 05:52 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
Quote:
Exactly
Not exactly. As its name would imply, it's a morphine derivative.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM

From the DEA..

Illicit Uses:

Hydromorphone abuse has been a continuing problem in the United States. Hydromorphone, similar to other schedule II opioids, has a high abuse and dependence potential and produces tolerance. Prior to the current popularity of hydrocodone and oxycodone among drug abusers, low dose (2 and 4 mg) immediate release hydromorphone formulations (i.e., Dilaudid) were the leading opioid products for abuse and diversion. Street names for Dilaudid are Dust, Juice, Dillies, Smack, D and Footballs. Abuse of hydromorphone is mainly among rural and suburban populations.

HYDROMORPHONE (Trade name: Dilaudid®; Street Names: Dust, Juice, Smack, D, Footballs) (http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugs_concern/hydromorphone.htm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Not exactly. As its name would imply, it's a morphine derivative.
YOU, didn't read Tony. What do you think heroin is?

From the same wikipedia entry:

Hydromorphone is used in medicine as an alternative to morphine and diacetylmorphine for analgesia and as a second- or third-line narcotic antitussive (cough suppressant) for cases of dry, painful, paroxysmal coughing resulting from continuing bronchial irritation after influenza and other ailments, inhalation of fungus and other causes, and is generally regarded to be the strongest of the latter class of drugs, and was developed shortly after another powerful antitussive, heroin, was removed from clinical use for this purpose in most of the world and in many countries banned outright

sheriff was correct

Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
Quote:
YOU, didn't read Tony. What do you think heroin is?
Do you know what you're reading? They're both opiates. If there were no distinction between heroin and morphine there wouldn't be two separate names for them now would there?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM

It's all the same...whatever you want to call it and whatever differences there might be...pharmaceutic(prescription) heroin...so if want to find the differences between them and why they're called different names, be my guest to scour some pharmacy books and report back here and let us know Tony. It's all prescription heroin, so I agree with sheriff in his post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphine

Morphine (INN) (pronounced /ˈmɔrfiːn/) is a highly potent opiate analgesic drug, is the principal active agent in opium, and is considered to be the prototypical opioid. Like other opioids, e.g. oxycodone, hydromorphone, and diacetylmorphine (heroin), morphine acts directly on the central nervous system (CNS) to relieve pain. Morphine has a high potential for addiction; tolerance and both physical and psychological dependence develop rapidly.

I guess people will draw their own conclusions upon the release of this info by the coroner. Sad though, a Las Vegas humanatarian was lost to this...

Rest in peace Danny Gans

Last edited by MomMom; 06-09-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas