Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM

40 posts, read 113,796 times

Advertisements

Its crazy when you are over 62 and you want to move to Las Vegas and there are so many places you shouldn't live at, I need a list of zip codes that are safe for us old folks, we don't want to pay high rentals we just value our safety, even Mesquite, or Laughlin would be an option if they are safe and a good value, we are moving from Parma, Ohio. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Always take the initiative to research previous forum contributions before starting a new thread . . this topic has been discussed numerous times!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM

I have taken time to read, and read and read, its great all of those zip codes to stay away from, and some that are good and safe places, I don't know one zip code from the other, I need to know names of apartment complexes so I can check them online, and research each and every one of them. I did a get a apartment guide, but I still don't know which ones are safe! I need to know which management companies are good. We are just fine folks trying to get some honest opinions from some senior citizens who may have made the move and want to share some of their wisdom and insight! Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
I think you should look at the Destinations apt complexes, they are all 55 and older

Old 05-04-2009, 05:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granny-nanny48 View Post
Its crazy when you are over 62 and you want to move to Las Vegas and there are so many places you shouldn't live at, I need a list of zip codes that are safe for us old folks, we don't want to pay high rentals we just value our safety, even Mesquite, or Laughlin would be an option if they are safe and a good value, we are moving from Parma, Ohio. Thanks
What are you looking for exactly? Are you set on moving to Las Vegas, anywhere in Nevada, or just wanting out of Ohio? I ask that because you mentioned Mesquite, and Laughlin, which are two very small towns a long ways across a lot of open desert from Las Vegas. The west is so big and vast that the towns do not all run together like they do back east. Las Vegas is land locked, and sits all alone way, way out in the desert, which is not unusual for nearly all western cities.

There really aren't any nearby small towns that are considered suburbs like you have in Ohio. So if you want to live in Nevada, it's either Las Vegas, or someplace far away from Las Vegas. But, if you want to hear about some good towns in the west to retire in the answers will be different than just zip codes. They'll just be a long ways from Las Vegas. Personally, I think if you have a choice, you should consider places like Albuquerque, New Mexico, which not only has much better weather, but is one of the most beautiful, and most interesting, cities in the country. Or, St. George, Utah, which is close to some really fantastic outdoors attractions, and is growing like a weed, mostly from retirees. If you like Nevada, but don't like big cities, I'd look at Reno which is 440 miles north, and in a much more beautiful part of Nevada, with much better weather. Plus it's a lot closer to San Francisco than we are to Los Angeles. I take it you're familiar enough with it to know that Las Vegas is a big city? The next big cities are hundreds of miles from here in other states.

I'd also have to say you should take the zip code discussions on here with a grain of salt. Las Vegas is pretty safe almost anywhere in town. Only there are older parts of town that attract low income people. Nothing wrong with low income people, but low rent also attracts low life characters just like it does in any city. So, depending on how much you can afford to pay in rent, you might want to stick to the newer areas. Those are mostly in the zip codes with numbers 89128 and above. And you're just fine in about any zip code in Henderson, plus about any zip code of 89031 and above in North Las Vegas.

Best advice is to try for a month to month lease until you get to know the town, then you can always move. Even in the "worst" areas, you'd be all right until you get your bearings. There are actually very few "worst" areas though. This town is relatively new, and hasn't had a chance to develop urban blight yet. After all, most of it was built in the last 20 years, and the older parts are only 40 to 60 years old.

By the way, in Las Vegas, 62 isn't "old folks". Olecapt has scars older than you are.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Thank you for the info, we have family who just came back from Nevada, and now we are leaning to the Laughlin area, and we will make our move in September to avoid some of the August heat. But thanks I appreciate the info. By the way we are not low income folks from Ohio.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 31,264 times
Sun City in Summerlin is a good retirement community.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granny-nanny48 View Post
Thank you for the info, we have family who just came back from Nevada, and now we are leaning to the Laughlin area, and we will make our move in September to avoid some of the August heat. But thanks I appreciate the info. By the way we are not low income folks from Ohio.
Laughlin is as hot in September as Las Vegas is in August.

If you are concerned about high heat you are moving into the fire rather than the frying pan.

For nice Sr. Citizen living hit the Sun Cities and similar. We prefer Summerlin but there is Anthem, MacDonald, Aliante, Mesquite, Solera, and a half a dozen others.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Yeah, Laughlin is a lot hotter, and there is nothing there.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 AM

Thanks for info, will check out the other areas, we don't like living somewhere with no grocery stores and banks, so we will research Athem. Mac Donald, Aliante, and Solera, never heard of any of them. Thank goodness for the internet, right to the point. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas