Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 AM

14 posts, read 38,516 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a realistic commute time between Summerlin and Creech AFB.... I don't have a good address in Summerlin, but somewhere near either Staton Elementary or Bonner Elementary as that is where we will be concentrating our housing search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursewithgrace View Post
Can anyone give me a realistic commute time between Summerlin and Creech AFB.... I don't have a good address in Summerlin, but somewhere near either Staton Elementary or Bonner Elementary as that is where we will be concentrating our housing search.
Depending on where you are in Summerlin to the base entrance, it would be 35 to 40 miles, so probably 30 to 45 minutes. It's mostly divided four lane highway all the way with very little traffic, and you'd probably drive at least 75 mph most of the way(more than likely faster than that). Then it would depend on where on the base you need to be.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
More than that unfortunately. Stanton and Bonner do not provide ready access to 95. Lummis would be better Take 15 minutes to get to 95 and then 35 to 40 minutes to the base. Sofigure 50 minutes to an hour. It is very fast once on 95...but you have 4 or 5 miles of city streets first.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM

Like I said, depends on where you are in Summerlin. From Stanton Elementary it is about 17 miles via the Beltway to US 95, and kind of a maze of streets in that neighborhood. So yeah, you'd want to allow another 15 min. to reach US 95, where you'd have another 35 miles of wide open road to Indian Springs. OK, so you drive 90 all the way like everybody else does on that highway. Be sure and move over when the cops come up behind you so they can pass...they'll be going 100.

Allow an hour drive time and 30 minutes to get your Starbucks. But get it before you get on 95 because I seriously doubt there will be a Starbucks in Indian Springs. You're lucky to find a cold coke up there.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Like I said, depends on where you are in Summerlin. From Stanton Elementary it is about 17 miles via the Beltway to US 95, and kind of a maze of streets in that neighborhood. So yeah, you'd want to allow another 15 min. to reach US 95, where you'd have another 35 miles of wide open road to Indian Springs. OK, so you drive 90 all the way like everybody else does on that highway. Be sure and move over when the cops come up behind you so they can pass...they'll be going 100.

Allow an hour drive time and 30 minutes to get your Starbucks. But get it before you get on 95 because I seriously doubt there will be a Starbucks in Indian Springs. You're lucky to find a cold coke up there.
The best place to stop is the Starbucks at the Durango exit on the 95. If you carpool, you can meet there, grab a coffee and safely leave a vehicle for the day.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Play is safe an assume 1 hour. Don't drive 90 mph you will get a ticket. NHP actively enforces that part of 95.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
The best place to stop is the Starbucks at the Durango exit on the 95. If you carpool, you can meet there, grab a coffee and safely leave a vehicle for the day.
That's a Starbucks that I frequent a lot too.

Do that many people commute to Indian Springs? Or should I ask does everyone commutethere since there isn't much in the way of housing, and if there was who would want to live there anyway? Can they park at the same lot where the Test Site workers park? I think the Test Site people ride busses don't they?

BTW: I was joking about going 95, but you will see lots of people doing it on that road. There are a lot of NHPs up that way.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM

I used to work in the Northwest Region of the school district and Indian Springs was one of my schools. We used to meet at that Starbucks and drive there together. But the elementaries in that area are pretty good too. The new O'Roarke has a great staff and principal, Freddie Breen. Bilbray and Sherkenbach are good too put don't have outstanding leadership.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 PM

14 posts, read 38,516 times
Thanks for all of the replies... my husband is pushing for a home in Summerlin, despite the long commute to Indian Springs. We haven't set foot in Nevada yet so it could easily change at this point (we're still in S. Korea....). We will only have a week or so to find a home and put an offer in (end of this month) so I'm trying to do as much of the leg work as I can before we arrive. He's the one that will be making the commute everyday, but I hate the idea of him being on the road for an hour each way. For some reason, I really thought the commute would be closer to 30 minutes. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I think the elementary schools in the northwest and Summerlin are pretty comparable with each other, my concern is with the middle schools. Sig Rogich in Summerlin looks a lot better, at least on paper, than Cadwallader. Does anyone have a child that attends Cadwallader that can weigh in on their experience there?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Rogich is probably the best middle school in the valley. Cadwallader is not as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: