Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 51,072 times

Advertisements

I am going to move to Henderson and want to find the best private school for my 2 children. One is 9th and one is 5th. I want them to go to the same school. I don't mind driving time or the cost. I just want them to have the best education possible. Any comments from local residents. They are both into music and sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess mcdevitt View Post
I am going to move to Henderson and want to find the best private school for my 2 children. One is 9th and one is 5th. I want them to go to the same school. I don't mind driving time or the cost. I just want them to have the best education possible. Any comments from local residents. They are both into music and sports.
I don't know about their music and sports programs, but I know that Henderson International School (formerly Warren Walker) is supposed to be very good...

Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Meadows has a big name in the valley and is K-12, but I personally disagree with many aspects of the school, so I wouldn't recommend it. I lived right by Meadows for many years and just disliked a lot of what I saw (plus, the high school division seemed to have a lot of "bad seeds"). It would also probably be the most inconvenient drive for you out of all of the private schools (probably about 45 minutes...more in the morning when traffic is bad).

I would recommend either Faith Lutheran or Bishop Gorman instead. Faith is grades 6-12 and I think Gorman is 9-12. Both are great schools, and I personally would feel better about sending kids to one of these two schools instead of Meadows. The student populations tend to be much better behaved and the academics are just as good. Both schools are minutes away from the 215, so the drive wouldn't be too bad (probably like 25-30 minutes).

For the younger child, Las Vegas Day School is supposed to be quite good and I've also heard good things about Alexander Dawson. Then there's also First Good Shepherd, which is a feeder school into Faith (might be a good idea if that's where the older sibling goes). And Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton is a feeder into Gorman, I believe (might be a good idea if that's where the older sibling goes).

If you're really set on both kids going to the same school, there's also Mountain View Christian and Calvary Chapel, which are both K-12, I believe. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'd probably choose them over Meadows if I needed a K-12.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 PM

I also want to warn you that since there is only one school district for the metropolitan area, when a student gets expelled, they have nowhere else to go, except to the private schools...

I have heard Mountain View Christian is accepting more and more students that were expelled from CCSD because otherwise not many people can afford private school due to the way the economy is and the private school still needs enrollment in order to survive...That may or may not be the case with other private schools in the valley...

Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
I believe there are only two that meet your spec.

Henderson International and Meadows.

Meadows is the heavier. It has however a reputation for being organized and regimented. International is less structured but is still reputed to be a very good school.

There is also the new Hebrew Academy. The kid would know if that goes down to fifth grade.

I don't believe anywhere in town competes with Meadows on the academic side.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe there are only two that meet your spec.

Henderson International and Meadows.

Meadows is the heavier. It has however a reputation for being organized and regimented. International is less structured but is still reputed to be a very good school.

There is also the new Hebrew Academy. The kid would know if that goes down to fifth grade.

I don't believe anywhere in town competes with Meadows on the academic side.
The Hebrew Academy has just opened their new high school, so now I believe they are K-12, before they were only K-8...The teachers there are very good and they teach part-time at the area synagogues as well...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 PM

thanks everyone wow... How helpful are the people of las vegas!! I appreciate the information on the driving time as I believe even though I say I don't care it would get old after awhile. I am really set on having them go to the same school so I gues maybe I should inquire on henderson international. Does anyone know anything about The Challenger School? I saw their website and they seem to be very innovative.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess mcdevitt View Post
thanks everyone wow... How helpful are the people of las vegas!! I appreciate the information on the driving time as I believe even though I say I don't care it would get old after awhile. I am really set on having them go to the same school so I gues maybe I should inquire on henderson international. Does anyone know anything about The Challenger School? I saw their website and they seem to be very innovative.
From looking at the Challenger School's website, it looks like it only goes up to 7th Grade in Las Vegas...I believe you were looking for a school for all grades, correct?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Yes I am looking for both. I saw the same on-line information but when I did a search for private high schools their name came up so I thought maybe I misunderstood. guess not...... I looked at Henderson international and it looks nice. They also had a section where you could apply for a job and since I am a teacher I filled that out. Maybe I will get lucky. I know times are hard in Vegas so I am not holding out too much hope. Anyone out there know about any other good aspects in the area for kids.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
Gorman is adding a school in Summerlin. Anyone know some details?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: