Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
She is not referring to military flying. All the residents of that area understand the need and bought knowing about the noise.

She is bothered by certain civilian flights...which, if the Janets, have been flagged as a problem for some time. They are simply flying with outdated and overly noisey engines.

I am still skeptical though that they are Janets. Been expecting someone from or around Nellis to chime in. I hear and see the turbine jockeys going off to practice but I have not seen the planes she describes.
I will try to capture some of the planes on camera if possible. Then i'll post the photo's on one of my photo storage sites. Also, they are flying from the southeast to the northwest the way they go over my place.

I'm used to the military craft for the most part, but not the big noisy planes and the other new planes that are now flying nearby. As for the suspected janet planes, they have been going overhead for the past 3 years on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 106,666 times
here's a quote from wikipedia:

'The EG&G Airlift Terminal, operated by defense contractor EG&G Technical Services. EG&G flies a variety of aircraft (including Boeing 737s) from McCarran to various military facilities in southern Nevada and eastern California. The civilian contractors who use this service (callsign JANET) work at the Tonopah Test Range, the Nevada Test Site, and reportedly at Area 51. '

And here's a picture of the janets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...t_mccarran.jpg

Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
That's the plane! Or should I say planes. They fly over my area, because it's right on the way to the test site and area 51. They are just toooooooooo noisy!
With all the planes all over the area, it might be hard to relocate them over a half mile or so, but it sure would help those of us who have suffered so long. When they go over, you cannot hear anything! Turning up the tv doesn't help. All conversations stop. Cats run and hide. You get the picture.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
FYI, Clinton's Energy Secretary, Hazel O'Leary, screwed EG&G out of the Nevada Test Site contract many years ago, so those planes aren't theirs. The contract was taken over by Bechtel Corporation after EG&G spent millions on the bid only to find out the deck was stacked by the Clinton's in favor of Bechtel, and the President of EG&G told Hazel where to shove it. She was really upset when they dropped out of the bidding because she wanted them to waste another two million dollars or so to make it look like they lost the contract legitimately. EG&G ran it for about forty years. There used to be over 10,000 Test Site workers. Clinton did away with the brain trust out there so if we ever need that expertise it's pretty much gone. If any of you ever get a chance to tour the site it is amazing.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
I've always wanted to write a piece about the skies over Las Vegas. You can look up at any time day or night and you will always see something flying above us anywhere in the valley. It can be just about any kind of flying machine known to man. At the house we lived in before this one my next door neighbor was an F-15e jockey. He used to fly over on his way to the range just to check on his house. I asked him how he could make out all the details he would tell me about since he was at least 30,000 feet up. He said those planes have all sorts of sophisticated equipment.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:17 AM

24 posts, read 106,666 times
It's not like Clinton destroyed precious knowledge. I worry more about how Bush gives away contracts in Iraq. One big corrupt mess.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 PM

179 posts, read 389,848 times
Help! If anyone currently lives or has spent some time along North Decatur, between the North Las Vegas Airport to the south and the 215 to the North, halfway along North Decatur, about 2 to 3 miles north of the airport - do the planes from Nellis or from North Las Vegas Airport tend to shoot up Decatur for landings and take-offs - and are they hugging the ground, flying low and struggling to gain altitude and speed as they zoom overhead?

Or no, the planes from North Las Vegas Airport go out over the 95 and Nellis is too far to the east of North Decatur?

I am trying to find a good location for my retirement and based on what I can afford, have to either put in an offer today or forego it on what sounds like a good condo.

I am out of state so do not know these things in person, unless an offer is accepted and I see it later on come time for the inspection, which wastes time and money if it's in the zone where the planes are going to be constantly dragging overhead and flying low.

Thanks if anyone can give me some comments. I appreciate it dearly.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM

179 posts, read 389,848 times
One comment added by me because I wanted to turn on the instant email notification feature, in case anyone cares to comment. Thank you so much too if you have any first-hand information for this neighborhood running along North Decatur just south of the 215, about planes hugging the ground and flying low.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Don't you people know that every plane you hear is bringing people and cash to your city- or taking them back home? Wichita has a very quiet airport but I don't think any of you want to live there. So does Detroit.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Don't you people know that every plane you hear is bringing people and cash to your city- or taking them back home? Wichita has a very quiet airport but I don't think any of you want to live there. So does Detroit.
The poster who revived this thread after three years is talking about the small airport in North Las Vegas, not McCarren International, which makes your entire post moot, if not completely irrelevant. But then again, that's what happens when someone from Georgia tries to explain how things work in Las Vegas.

(And if you were responding to one of the earlier posts from 2007 and didn't realize it......well, that is just too sad to contemplate.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas