Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM

222 posts, read 385,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Most departures off runway 25L/R initially turn south/southwest, but some eastbound flights will be assigned the STAAV4 departure, which results in an initial northbound turn after takeoff. Several factors are involved when given a runway assignment and subsequent departure/arrival routing. Some of these include: weather (origin, en route, and destination), traffic volume, aircraft performance, LA Center/Air Traffic Control preferences, and even time of day. FWIW, given the amount of traffic that flows into McCarran on a given day, the airspace around Las Vegas is one of the most efficient in the country.
Doesn't the STAAV4 have a published minimum climb rate which should, at least in theory, prevent airplanes from overflying the lakes "so low the house shakes?"

I've heard the Virgin 744 to LGW re-filing with the tower just prior to takeoff because they couldn't make the climb, especially on warm days w/ a high density altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Doesn't the STAAV4 have a published minimum climb rate which should, at least in theory, prevent airplanes from overflying the lakes "so low the house shakes?"

I've heard the Virgin 744 to LGW re-filing with the tower just prior to takeoff because they couldn't make the climb, especially on warm days w/ a high density altitude.
Yes, the STAAV4 has several "at or above" restrictions, which would help mitigate noise along the route.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM

56 posts, read 207,435 times
I have a friend that lives in Mountain's Edge. While spending an evening on her back patio we saw many planes flying overhead. We could not hear them, but her german sheppard sure could and barked at every single one of them.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
Not really... 90% of the time the planes are landing to the west so the planes that would be in that area flying the final approach will be close to idle power. When the planes take off to the east there is a little noise but I never notice it. However, as a disclaimer I work at the base so maybe my hearing isn't as good ...

If you are in south green valley (around black mountian), you will ocassionally hear a jet that is flying the downwind leg at about 4000 feet above ground before doing a "u-turn" in henderson to pickup final approach... Again if this is hardly noticable outside so not noticable inside.

Thanks. I am not super sensitive to airplane noise and I have a fan that sits by my headboard and drowns out just about everything. But if it were going to shake the house several times a day, that would worry me.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Try living near Craig/Walnut in North Las Vegas. When visiting over there, when the planes are taking off from Nellis, you cannot hear a thing until long after they are gone. Much worse than commercial jets going over a neighborhood. All conversations come to a halt. If you are watching TV, forget it, can't hear that. No phone conversations. Nothing.
But it's cheap to live over there say the friends. Gee, i wonder why.

The scariest I've seen with the planes from McCarran, visiting a friend at Flamingo/Maryland Parkway, the planes are taking off right over their apt building. They are so low and one wrong move from the pilot and that whole area is wiped out. And it's even cheaper to live there. lol
(never in a million years!)

Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
I agree..Nellis air force jets are much louder even with being at a higher altitude. especially bad during those "red flag" , "green flag" training months. the only consolation is there's not many night time (late night) jet flights to disturb your sleep.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I agree..Nellis air force jets are much louder even with being at a higher altitude. especially bad during those "red flag" , "green flag" training months. the only consolation is there's not many night time (late night) jet flights to disturb your sleep.
Some nights they are out there til 1am or so. So they not only wake people up that are trying to sleep, but you get woken up by them in the morning too. Who needs an alarm clock when you can feel like a jet is coming through your window to wake you up instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas