Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times

Advertisements

Would las vegas be a "not a very good" place for teen girls?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2s View Post
Would las vegas be a "not a very good" place for teen girls?
What exactly are you asking? Do you mean should teenage girls run away to Las Vegas and try to make it here? Of course not.

Are you asking if raising teenage girls is easy here? Then the answer is HELL NO!! However, it is not easy raising teenage girls in Naperville, IL, Ft. Collins Co., Brighton MI, Round Rock TX, Irvine Ca, or anywhere else in the world.

If you are a parent who DOES THEIR JOB and actually parents their child it really doesn't matter where you raise your daughter, she will be just fine. Are there more temptations here? Probably....but once again, if you are a vigilant parent and do your job you can avoid those pitfalls.

My daughter went to a sweet 16 birthday party last night for a Fertita daughter. Absolutely incredible and over the top.....but my daughter had a great time and realizes that this is a once in a lifetime event. She also told me before she left to please keep my cell phone close because this particular group of kids is known for doing "crazy" things and she wanted to make sure that if she was at all uncomfortable we would come and get her right away. I was so proud of her and the fact that she is smart enough to have a "plan" in case she needed one. This is a result of good parenting. (don't mean to pat myself on the back...)

If you think that parenting a middle school or high school child is easy then I can tell you that you are not doing your job. It is exhausting and at times embarrassing and mentally challenging because you MUST always stay one step ahead of them. There is no such thing as privacy....not under my roof anyway.

So....your question really needs more detail....because as far as I'm concerned, there isn't a place in this country that can make raising a teenage daughter a pleasant experience.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 PM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
I totally agree with you 5kingsinvegas. You could be in the middle of the hood and as long as you do your job your kid will be fine. Also I have to say that from what you said you have done an excellent job raising your daughter and should pat yourself on the back. Las Vegas is a city of course theres always going to be temptation but theres plenty of teens that live there and dont get into trouble it all comes down to you and your child.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Raising kids in Vegas isn't any harder than raising kids anywhere else. If you're a good parent, your kids will be fine no matter where they grow up.

Most teenage girls in the valley grow up just fine. It's not like they teach Striptease 101 in the high schools out here. Off the strip, Vegas is just a normal place.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM

63 posts, read 86,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Raising kids in Vegas isn't any harder than raising kids anywhere else. If you're a good parent, your kids will be fine no matter where they grow up.

Most teenage girls in the valley grow up just fine. It's not like they teach Striptease 101 in the high schools out here. Off the strip, Vegas is just a normal place.

Not true from my experience at all.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
One of the good things about raising teens here is that they can experience more and gain more worldly knowledge than a kid from Podunk can. I was raised in a small town with a small town value system, but was a little embarrassed by my lack of sophistication when I arrived in Las Vegas. So I found raising my daughter here was maybe better than raising her in a small town would have been in a lot of ways, then not being able to trust her judgement when she did venture off to the big city by herself. But it's just a matter of trading certain things for others, and you can't have both at the same time. Kids get into trouble anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more shotgun weddings in middle America than in Las Vegas for instance. People not from here, such as the OP obviously, have the Hollywood idea about it in their heads, but kids don't get into anymore trouble here than anyplace else. Kids will be kids wherever they are, and they need parenting...especially to counter what the "modern" education system is taking from them...namely the concept of right and wrong.

Girls anywhere should be locked in a room from age 13 to age 30 anyway, until they learn the parents are right.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
If you are a parent who DOES THEIR JOB and actually parents their child it really doesn't matter where you raise your daughter, she will be just fine. Are there more temptations here? Probably....but once again, if you are a vigilant parent and do your job you can avoid those pitfalls.
Not true, IMO.
My parents were good parents; I turned out like crap (I mean, I eventually turned out okay, but it took until I was 30+).
My son's completely gone off the rails; I won't claim to be the ideal parent, but I did my best.
Even my dad was a complete juvenile delinquent and spent a lot of time locked up in his teens, and his mother was a saint.

Wildness seems to run in some families.
Or sometimes rogue wildness just pops up out of nowhere, like a recessive gene.

Okay, I'm exaggerating for effect, but I'm sure many on this site can attest to the sad fact that good parenting does not result in perfect children. Parenting is not like following a recipe to the letter and creating a perfect batch of muffins.
You can do everything right, but the fact is your child is a unique individual, and there's only so much influence you are going to have, especially once your child is a teenager.
The best you can do is let them know you love them unconditionally, and will be waiting patiently and hoping they come to their senses before it's too late.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissam View Post
Not true from my experience at all.
YOu are messing around with teen age girls in the Las Vegas sticks?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
If it's Lex, I might believe it.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
pedifile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: