Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times

Advertisements

Eww, migraines. I agree with the Excedrine migraine. Only thing that helped me and I had to take them the second I felt it coming on and I had the aura too. Scary. I have not had a migraine since I quit my job 3 yrs ago (knock wood). Mine appeared to be hormonal/stress related. I did not, however, even think of following the weather pattern. Could have been since I was in MI.

Good luck! Even my husband who has always had horrific allergies appears to have them down to an occasional stuffy nose here in Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM

158 posts, read 659,408 times
I have been getting acupuncture for a couple of months now and it has significantly reduced the frequency and severity of my migraines. I highly recommend it. Make sure to find a Doctor of Oriental Medicine O.M.D.) and licensed acupuncturist.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu View Post
I have been getting acupuncture for a couple of months now and it has significantly reduced the frequency and severity of my migraines. I highly recommend it. Make sure to find a Doctor of Oriental Medicine O.M.D.) and licensed acupuncturist.
I used to go to Dr. Lin Zhang on Tenaya and Cheyenne, but not for headaches. I stopped because I didn't have a reason to go, but I miss the talks I used to have with her. She is such a nice lady, and really smart and interesting. She studied from the time she was a girl in China so she knows what she's doing. If you need herbs she writes it in Chinese and you can take it to a Chinese Herbalist like the one in Chinatown...I think it's called Ginsing something or something Ginsing. I think their name might be Zhang too but I don't think they're related. Beats drugs that only make it worse. Do you know that every time you take drugs for a headache the headache is worse the next time?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM

990 posts, read 1,654,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Appreciate the answers. As you all know migraines can really mess up a vacation. Spoke to doctor yesterday and he said NY had a bad migraine season this year and I should do much better in Las Vegas.
I didn't know that there was a thing as a "migraine season." Migraine complex is a neurological disorder. Perhaps people are having sinus headaches caused by barometric pressure changes and calling them migraines. If that is what's happening to you then Las Vegas should be good for you because the barometric changes are less abrupt and extreme.

I have had both migraines and sinus headaches. There are subtle differences and they have different triggers. The intense pain is similar but a sinus headache has no aura, nausea, or light and sound intolerance.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
i doubt they are sinus headaches due to the fact that i get an aura before the headache for about 15 minutes. but i do believe the barometric pressure has something to do with it...

Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
This has been an interesting thread about headaches and allergies. My experience: my headaches usually come on when my caffeine intake goes down. I am such a caffeine addict that, if for some reason I don't get my several cups of coffee in the morning, I spend the afternoon fighting a migraine. And, as several have stated, the only thing that has worked to alleviate the pain of a migraine is either Excedrin Migraine or Extra Strength Excedrin. (Read the labels - they are exactly the same!) As for the allergies, I don't remember ever suffering any allergy when I lived in Michigan, but seem to have developed several since moving to Las Vegas. And, not being one to run to the doctor, I still have no idea what I might be allergic to, but have found that a dose of Benedryl helps the sinus headache associated with the allergies. Now, whether it's a sinus headache or a migraine is usually easy for me to tell - the sinus headache starts low and builds in intensity and the migraine hits me like a hammer to the head.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

369 posts, read 772,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Dang!!!! How many times do I have to say this? NAET....Google it.

Let me Google it for you

Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Cool! Howdjoo do that?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I didn't know that there was a thing as a "migraine season." Migraine complex is a neurological disorder. Perhaps people are having sinus headaches caused by barometric pressure changes and calling them migraines. If that is what's happening to you then Las Vegas should be good for you because the barometric changes are less abrupt and extreme.

I have had both migraines and sinus headaches. There are subtle differences and they have different triggers. The intense pain is similar but a sinus headache has no aura, nausea, or light and sound intolerance.
Growing up in the east, because it is so humid out there, I pretty much had sinus headaches almost everyday, especially in the summer. From the first day I moved to Las Vegas they went away. In about the past two years I've noticed a few slight sinus headaches, but not often, and not nearly as severe. It's usually only when it rains, so it's pretty rare. Even our high humidity when pouring rain is not as high as their low humidity and sunshine.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM

90 posts, read 316,842 times
[quote=quixotic59;9546101]I suffer from migraines triggered by weather fronts (specifically slow moving low pressure),

I also get migraine-like symptoms from this same type of weather front. My sis-in-law who is a doctor told me they aren't true migraines, but I do get the light sensitivity, pressure behind the eyes, can't do anything but sleep it off in a dark room type symptoms. I found that when I moved to LV the first time from Alaska that I maybe only got one of these episodes the whole 3.5 years we lived in LV. I used to get them frequently and have them more often again since we live in Ohio now, though they seem to be less often the older I get. In addition, I'm looking forward to having to take allergy meds far less often again once we move back to LV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas