U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 116,248 times

Advertisements

I am moving to vegas in the next 4 months or so and I was wondering if anyone recently has driven a moving truck across the Hoover Dam? I know its possible, but according to the Hoover Dam rules there must be an aisle for the trucks contents to be examined? I was thinking of just taking US 95 to avoid the whole inspection process? Any Ideas? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,520,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment7 View Post
I am moving to Vegas in the next 4 months or so and I was wondering if anyone recently has driven a moving truck across the Hoover Dam? I know its possible, but according to the Hoover Dam rules there must be an aisle for the trucks contents to be examined? I was thinking of just taking US 95 to avoid the whole inspection process? Any Ideas? Thanks
Go through Laughlin and save yourself the trouble. You can drive out to see the dam anytime.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 37,234,029 times
Dam rules getcha every time.....

Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM

160 posts, read 683,524 times
I thought you couldn't drive a truck over the dam. Make sure you double check that. The hills surrounding laughlin are killer, so unless you have a good truck, don't take that route.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
I thought you couldn't drive a truck over the dam. Make sure you double check that. The hills surrounding laughlin are killer, so unless you have a good truck, don't take that route.
What hills surrounding Laughlin? The road on either side of Hoover Dam is so steep and winding it is difficult even for cars. The problem you have at the dam with trucks is that you may have to unload it and reload it for inspection. You have two choices from Flagstaff...either go over to Laughlin and take 95 north to go around the dam, or go north on 93 to cross the dam and put up with the hassle.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM

20,993 posts, read 21,379,211 times
No trucks over the dam. Go through Laughlin.

BTW, they're building a bypass (will be the main highway when it's done) that crosses the gorge just south of the dam.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Truck over the Hoover Dam-img_6407.jpg  

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM

18 wheelers are not allowed over the dam. Rental trucks and moving vans are allowed as long as they can be easily inspected. They want you to stack everything to the sides and leave a passageway in the middle for them to easily walk through for inspection. Too much trouble. Just go around through Laughlin. It adds about 26 miles to the trip.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 12,900 times
if u have a a normal truck go through hoover
inspection is short
they have dogs smell browse through the window etc
other wise its fast n simple
so unless ur a terroist nothing to worry about

Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM

30 posts, read 116,248 times
Thanks for the replies, I will be in a Penske 22 foot truck Diesel with a car trailer being pulled, is that a good enough truck for the hills around Laughlin? According to everyone I think it would be good to go around the dam as long as the truck can make it around the hills I would prefer not to go through the inspection process. Thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM

450 posts, read 1,447,942 times
Default Re:

I had a smaller Penske truck, nothing in tow, we wanted to avoid driving out of the way only to be denied passing over, so we went through Laughlin. If you're coming through Flagstaff, once you get down into Kingman, AZ, it's mostly flat. The biggest hill you'll encounter is driving up into Kingman, and then again into Henderson/Green Valley via 95. It was a little slow, but doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>