Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM

23 posts, read 86,149 times

Advertisements

We want to take our 16 year old son to a comedy show but I see most of these show have an 18 year minimum age. He loves comedy and I'm sure most of these shows don't have anything in them that he hasn't seen on HBO or at the movies already. Does anyone know if they allow parents to bring kids younger than 18 to these shows and how closely do they check ID's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 PM

176 posts, read 510,913 times
You may be able to get him in if your with him you can always call the hotel and ask.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todzilla View Post
We want to take our 16 year old son to a comedy show but I see most of these show have an 18 year minimum age. He loves comedy and I'm sure most of these shows don't have anything in them that he hasn't seen on HBO or at the movies already. Does anyone know if they allow parents to bring kids younger than 18 to these shows and how closely do they check ID's?
They may let him in if you're with him, but sometimes they will not and IDs are checked all the time...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
better chance at the early show......midnite shows are almost ALWAYS quadruple x rated....or worse...

Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
All the showrooms set their own rules. You'll just have to pick what shows you want to see and call them. You have to call them anyway to make reservations. If you're local be sure to let them know; you might get a locals deal.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,668,487 times
And don't pretend to be local if your not. The reservationists will know the difference. My sister (MGM Mirage) had one guy who tried to convince her that he was local, so that he could get a discount for Criss Angel's show. First, he gave a non local zip code, then he gave of the zip code of the hotel (Luxor) that he was going to be staying at. He even offered to tip her when he saw her. Ano...they're all several miles off property, over by McCarren.

Idiots.

And now, a PSA on behalf of reservationists.

Prior to calling for your reservations, please turn down your TVs and radios. It's noisy, and it's rude. Also, please don't put us on speakerphone. We can hear everything going on in the room, and we mean EVERYTHING. Doing these simple things will convince us that you're not from the shallow end of the gene pool.

This PSA has been brought to you by...

The color red.
The number 7.
The letter P.

And the question, why?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

17 posts, read 43,632 times
Take him to the Mac King show at Harrah's. He performs comedy and magic and it's a great fun afternoon show. There are usually 2 for 1 coupons available in magazines or at Harrah's. Although children 5 and older can see the show, it really appeals to all ages. I brought my grandson who lives in LV and we both enjoyed it. I've had friends of all ages say that it's a terrific show. Check out Harrah's website to be sure he will be performing when you are in town and don't be shy about asking for discounted tix.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM

90 posts, read 317,014 times
A friend also recommended Mac King to me since I was looking for a magic show appropriate for my 10 year old. I've been several to comedy shows, though not in Vegas. They are typically really raunchy - definitely not appropriate for a 16 year old IMO - regardless of what he sees on tv. I imagine the Vegas ones are the same or worse - really geared toward adults. Of course as the parent, it is your right to determine what your child sees at home, but there is likely a reason for the over 18 restriction.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
Blue Man Group is friendly for all ages, as well as many of many of the Cirque du Soleil shows.

That's an option, if you're not deadset on comedy.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

228 posts, read 555,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
A friend also recommended Mac King to me since I was looking for a magic show appropriate for my 10 year old. I've been several to comedy shows, though not in Vegas. They are typically really raunchy - definitely not appropriate for a 16 year old IMO - regardless of what he sees on tv. I imagine the Vegas ones are the same or worse - really geared toward adults. Of course as the parent, it is your right to determine what your child sees at home, but there is likely a reason for the over 18 restriction.
I flew in my mother last summer for her first ever visit to Las Vegas. Took her to Brad Garret at the Mirage her first night. WOW. Did not expect it to get as VULGAR as it did. She wanted to leave midway through.

So, yes, most definitely take into account age restrictions.

For a magic show, though I have never been, I hear good things about David Copperfield (MGM).

Not a comedy or magic show, but you and your son might really enjoy Love (Cirque du Soleil with Beatles music and themes; Mirage). Such a fun show! A lot of families with their young sons/daughters in the audience when I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas