Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

17 posts, read 27,069 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I think this is a reworked version of a "how do I move to Vegas" thread, but here goes.
I am from Minnesota though since 2007 I have lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I am a finance professional and recently completed my MBA here in Florida. I have been offered a job for one of the entertainment groups in the finance dept. I have some reservations/concerns about moving to LV which I hope folks can help me resolve.

1. I am a 30 year old married professional w/o kids: Where would a good place for my wife (also 30) and I be to look for a rental property in LV or surrounding areas? The assignment is in Las Vegas, so I don't want to commute a crazy distance. We would buy eventually, but not at first-budget rent of around $1400/mo currently in FL.

2. I am not sure about LV; do people enjoy all of the goings on in Vegas who live there? I now live in a condo at the beach in Lauderdale, so we have a pretty laid back lifestyle here-except on the S. Florida roads. Does that correspond with life in Vegas kind of minus the Ocean of course? My wife is really unsure about the move to LV; desert vs. ocean, crime...etc.

3. LV is definitely attractive as a lower-cost alternative to S. Florida which has crippling insurance and property taxes. Is the lower cost a perception or a reality for those who might know S. Florida?

Anyway, these are some of my concerns. Any assistance is appreciated, I know many of you have probably responded to many of these in the past. I will make my decision in the near future about the move. And yes, she and I have both been to Vegas several times in the past, and we're going back in October to scope things out more seriously if I accept or for vacation if I do not.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
pick someplace East of the spring mountains and west of Frenchmans mountain

Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,418 times
I personally would never live in Florida with it's high humidity, reptiles and high cost of living but you're old enough now that I think you can probably dig deep down inside of yourself and ask, what geographical area type of person am I? You either like the dessert, treeless mountains, dry humidity, Spanish architecture and houses built on minimum square foot lots surrounded by block walls or you are an ocean type of person who does not mind all that goes with it.

Because it is a tourist town, there is always a great deal going on and many loss leader attractions to being them in. I'm sure the entertainment, shopping and restaurants would exceed most Fla. cities. I'm surprised being a fiance professional, you would be a renter but be that as it may, if you do buy, the property taxes are much lower than Fla. and because of not having natural disasters, so is homeowners ins. That $1400 a month would buy you a lot of house providing you have saved a decent down payment.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,041 times
Well, when you wake up on any given morning, weekday and weekend, what makes you happy that you're in Florida? What sort of things make you think, "oh crap, I have to deal with (this) today."? What do you enjoy about the local scene? What aspects could you do without? Since it sounds like you have a confident say in this choice to possibly move or not, finding the best place to have a happy daily routine and feel good about the little things is always my recommendation in that case.

I've had a stint in South Beach and travelled all over Florida from Key West to Destin, so I can probably offer some thoughts.

For traffic and taxes, Vegas will definitely win by a long shot, but it sounds like living near the ocean is really important to you. Also, does humidity have any noticeable health benefits for your particular body, or is it something you wouldn't mind leaving behind? Because as you obviously know, Vegas is far from humid or beachfront. We've got a powerful UV dose here relative to most of the U.S., too, but not even close to Florida.

You'll find the West to be comparatively more laid back than the East, so if you consider Florida laid back and that's a good thing, you'll love it here! People are a bit less guarded in most of the West, especially the Northwest; but Vegas and SoCal set themselves apart with more of a cautious urban vibe.

Do you enjoy the club scene and/or quality food options of Ft. Lauderdale? Those are abundant in Vegas as well... we've even got the topless beaches if you and the wife don't mind a pool. A lot less sand, at least.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,348,644 times
sent a pm

Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You either like the dessert, treeless mountains, dry humidity, Spanish architecture and houses built on minimum square foot lots surrounded by block walls or you are an ocean type of person who does not mind all that goes with it.
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with backyards built like fortresses with high walls?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,418 times
I never mentioned "fortresses." That's your take. I said small lots surrounded by block walls and that's the way it is in many neighborhoods. Are you asking me if I have a problem with them or are you asking why are they built? If it's the former, no I don't have a problem with them if the house behind is lower and I understand they are used because of having a very private Spanish influence.

I also forgot to answer the other poster by saying professionals live everywhere and are allowed everywhere. If he uses the search function for the crime incidence map, he will find very nice neighborhoods in every one of the lower crime zipcodes and even in some of the higher ones. Spanish Trails for instance, comes to mind.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
It is a custom in the SW and is of Spanish origin. Find it throughout CA, AZ, NV, NM.

My home is .6 acres and has the wall. Acre plus places generally have it as well though it may not surround the entire property.

Tends to create some level of privacy.

As to where any of the reasonable neighborhoods will do. GV, The south side, The SW, The Lakes, Pelcole, Summerlin, the NW, Aliante and north NLV.

Decide where you are working and then decide where to live. You get more house for $1400 in the NW or SW than in Summerlin or Green Valley. Everywhere is pretty much within a half hour of the strip. In fact it is kind of amazing at the moment. Depart appx Craig and Durango at 7:25AM and was at GLVAR on Sahara a little east of the strip at 7:45AM. Who would have thought it. Note that you will not do that well when the recession goes away. That run was within two minutes of 2AM time for the same run.

$1400 will not move you solidly into the "professional" class housing. That is a number affordable by most strip workers. But it will get you a nice box in a gated neighborhood wherever.

Note that local Vegans generally avoid the strip except for work and a very rare night out. There is a whole culture the exists based on the local neighborhoods. We generally don't come very far out. The South sticks to the South side. The west sticks to the west side etc. Kind of the rule is you never cross the strip....

It is a nice place to be young. You will enjoy it most likely if you can deal with the heat...and most Floridians have no problem.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,781,883 times
Professionals live all over Las Vegas just as in South Florida. The thing I miss most about South Florida is the afternoon thunder storms.

While Las Vegas is diverse it is not quite the melting pot as South Florida.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I never mentioned "fortresses." That's your take. I said small lots surrounded by block walls and that's the way it is in many neighborhoods. Are you asking me if I have a problem with them or are you asking why are they built? If it's the former, no I don't have a problem with them if the house behind is lower and I understand they are used because of having a very private Spanish influence.

I also forgot to answer the other poster by saying professionals live everywhere and are allowed everywhere. If he uses the search function for the crime incidence map, he will find very nice neighborhoods in every one of the lower crime zipcodes and even in some of the higher ones. Spanish Trails for instance, comes to mind.
I'm a big fan of having a nice view myself, so that struck me as odd just like the person you're addressing. A lot of new developments put houses too close together, too, but that obnoxious trend is everywhere and the profit motives are obvious.

Of course, as I've lived here and visited folks in those houses with massive wall fences, there's a lot to be said for "hanging out" in a back yard or a pool/hot tub and not worrying about being a spectacle and/or being accused of public indecency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: