Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM

106 posts, read 222,775 times

Advertisements

1. I want to rent out my home.

2. If I wanted to do a credit/background check on the family, what company would do that.

3. If for some awful reason they do not pay, what company would evict them.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM

171 posts, read 588,175 times
I saw a website Tenant Screening | Tenant Credit Check | Landlord Credit Check | E-Renter before. I do not know if they are legit, but they offer the background/credit service you require.

As far as evictions that is done through the court system and when the eviction is finalized the sheriff would be the one doing the evicting, but you would be left with the mess.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM

390 posts, read 755,247 times
Boy, I would like that same info -
As I understand it, evictions are done by police?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 AM

10 posts, read 35,386 times
We rent our house out to old friends that got screwed by a landlady who decided not to pay her mortgage. Thankfully that came at the right time for us and them. We had our house listed for rent on CL and we got all sorts of calls. Most people do not want their credit checked, we found a place locally that charged like 35$ and we got the forms online. When we went to meet with them to fill out the credit app. guess what, no show! The rest wanted to trade rent money for handyman services, one even had like 3 pitbulls! I love the pitbulls, but if you have 3 of them c'mon you have no business renting, let alone what my insurance company would do! Then there were the "Do you take section 8?" calls Hell no! I would not do that to our old neighbors no way! Just be careful whatever you do, and it is very worth it to pay whatever the cost to screen people! I found this article in the sun about individual renting...Small landlords face big risks - Las Vegas Sun

Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
I wonder if you could advertise in the paper up on Nellis or through their housing office. Maybe you could get a military family to rent from you. You would have more recourse through his/her commanding officer if there was a problem, and military families, especially the ones not extremely young and at the bottom of the rank structure, tend to take good care of their accomodations. There are always exceptions to the rule, but when trying to rent out our current home, we were hoping to get a military family in but ended up renting to a friend of a friend instead.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 PM

85 posts, read 269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I wonder if you could advertise in the paper up on Nellis or through their housing office. Maybe you could get a military family to rent from you. You would have more recourse through his/her commanding officer if there was a problem, and military families, especially the ones not extremely young and at the bottom of the rank structure, tend to take good care of their accomodations. There are always exceptions to the rule, but when trying to rent out our current home, we were hoping to get a military family in but ended up renting to a friend of a friend instead.
Go to AHRN.com to post your listing on the Department of Defense website. I had my rental house posted for a long time but had no luck but have talked to others who have. Good Luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 PM

85 posts, read 269,902 times
Also check out landlord.com I got a bunch of useful forms from this page. I have always had good luck finding renters from Craigslist. Good luck

Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i just used a realtor who put it on the mls.... was rented in 3 days....

Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
1. I want to rent out my home.

2. If I wanted to do a credit/background check on the family, what company would do that.

3. If for some awful reason they do not pay, what company would evict them.

thank you.
1. OK. Good luck to you. Educate yourself in advance so you know what lies ahead.

2. A couple other options have been mentioned for credit check, etc. Back in Chicago I used Welcome to MR LANDLORD for free rental forms, management software, real estate books and landlord advice to better manage and lease rental property., it's a useful site for small landlords. You can do screening there, as well as find helpful information for other aspects of being a landlord. As a landlord, generally you're stuck being the bad guy no matter how nice or helpful you try to be - should you find good, qualified tenants treat them like gold & keep them around as long as you can (but keep in mind it's a business arrangement - don't get too friendly).

3. Generally, if they don't pay you'll need to go through a series of legal steps for eviction. Someone more familiar with local laws can help here. Once you've satisfied the legal requirements, a little while down the road the sheriff will serve & evict them. Hope that you don't have to go through this - I had to start the process twice in Chicago to force the issue with deadbeat tenants, but my experience has been that forces their hand at some point, you're out some money but at least you have your place back.

Sorry, not trying to paint too bleak a picture - just plan for the worst & hope for the best (being sure you do your own due diligence). Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
On low level landlording....if you have more than three houses you have already found your own path.

First off if you live in Vegas it is perfectly reasonable to be the landlord. YOu need to pay attention and look after your property but nothing very hard.

If you live out of the area you should hire a property manager. Generally cost 8 to 10% of the rent. There is a legal requirement that you have a local contact. Does not have to be a property manager but it is the easiest way. We have a rental client whose brother watches over the house. Works fine.

Any Realtor can put a rental in the MLS which is probably the most active source for homes. Generally the fee is half a months rent which is split between the listing and the renting broker.

There are lots of ways to get a credit check. We simply have a local bank run it for us. There are on line services and some of the property managers will do it for a fee. Note that you need to read it...a low FICO score may still indicate a good renter.

If you get to the don't pay renter hardball is generally called for. It is I think the general experience that a single slow pay is not a big problem but that any significant in arrears...out they go....it is only going to get worse.

The eviction process is handled by the constable..

UNDERSTANDING THE EVICTION PROCESS

There are also property managers who will do it for a fee. They just use the constable but take care of all the legal details.

It is still a pretty good rental market out there. Just did a search for a client in the area bounded by Rancho, Sahara, Decatur and 95. Found one reasonable rental between 1200 and 2000. Some nice places above $2000 and some junky ones at $1000 and below and nothing in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas