Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 AM

159 posts, read 478,716 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

Moving to the greater LV area in June. We're interested in renting a particular house in Torrey Pines Northeast, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this--Treasure Chest St., to be specific--is a quiet neighborhood. This factor is of great concern to me because I work at home. I'm an editor, and I need a reasonable level of quiet in order to concentrate.

Please, parents, don't take offense at all, but if there were children playing outside all day, and the group included little girls who shriek at the tops of their lungs, I'd go insane. And hey, I know I shrieked a time or two when I was a little girl, so I understand, but I just wouldn't be able to work in that sort of atmosphere.

Truly, I hope no one is offended by my query. It's the work-at-home aspect of my life that makes a quiet neighborhood so vital a requirement. If I could, but I can't right now, I'd move to a remote, rural area. Can't, so I wonder,
what's Torrey Pines Northeast like?

Thanks in advance for your help! I can't wait to live in the desert again!!

Julia B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
That is an inside street in a moderate density neighborhood in the SW. It is a suitable location for quiet with respect to street traffic.

It is however the sort of neighborhood that attracts young families with children. It is not customary for children to play in front of the house in Las Vegas...more of a backyard town. But there is just no way to tell whether one of the adjacent homes will have a couple of young screamers out in the backyard. On the otherhand it will be too hot in a month or so for much outdoor time.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks, Captain! Very helpful info!

If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Well, in my neighborhood, way too many kids play outside and scream and block the streets, maybe its different over there...I'm in the southeast of town...

Old 04-27-2007, 03:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Unfortunately, most kids scream and yell in front of everyone's homes. They play in the streets, in front of people's garages, ride their skateboards up and down the sidewalk and you can hear every rut as they do it. Very annoying!
Add to that the boomboxes, and you will go insane.

Your best bet would be to rent/buy in an area not known for screamers, like the 55+ communities if you are old enough. Otherwise, good luck.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:17 AM

40 posts, read 219,140 times
I was just going to say, Vegas in the summer does not see much outdoor play unless they have a pool in the backyard......way to hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That is an inside street in a moderate density neighborhood in the SW. It is a suitable location for quiet with respect to street traffic.

It is however the sort of neighborhood that attracts young families with children. It is not customary for children to play in front of the house in Las Vegas...more of a backyard town. But there is just no way to tell whether one of the adjacent homes will have a couple of young screamers out in the backyard. On the otherhand it will be too hot in a month or so for much outdoor time.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Well, thanks everyone! I decided not to rent the house in Torry Pines. I'm 4 years shy of being able to rent in 55+ communities, so that's out. Waiting now to hear about a house on N. Sloan Lane, in the 89110 zip code. Hard to tell for sure just from pix online, but there are no houses right up against this house, and it has a very sizable backyard, with midsize (20x12) pool and mountain views. The neighborhood appears to be in a more rural-type setting.
Best of all, school year-round. I'm the only applicant with a high credit rating, so I'm hoping to hear good news today or tomorrow, and to see the property in person next week, when we're in town for a conference and to finalize a rental.

If anyone knows this area--N. Sloan Lane in 89110 zip--your thoughts on it will, as before, be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Juli

Old 05-09-2007, 04:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Some will be very negative about it, I don't think there are any negatives about the area, the area is nice and mainly rural, there is plenty of shopping on Nellis and 2 supermarkets on Hollywood, a department store, a target, and 2 walmarts are also nearby, the restaurants include Olive Garden, In-N-Out, and a lot more...They are also building a Lowes/Petco shopping center on Nellis and a Sam's Club on Craig...the only negative I can think of is that it is in the hottest part of the valley...if you know the full address, type it in lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity so you can check out the crime, I would uncheck auto theft and accidents since that can really skew the numbers off in ANY area...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I'm one of those who will be negative about the 89110 zip code. I wouldn't live there...again. Stay in the northwest, far west, or southwest. If you want a quiet neighborhood with no kids...buy my house...please.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
BTW: Where the heck is Torrey Pines Northeast? Torrey Pines runs north and south and is west of downtown, and Treasure Chest is in the southwest part of town. I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas