Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM

97 posts, read 305,766 times

Advertisements

What does anyone think of the providence community, it seems a little far, but i don't mind the extra few minutes drive. It is in the northwest side of las vegas. It seems pretty new. any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,857,135 times
Definitely a nice area. I live on the other side of the freeway, and used to work up there. It's one of those wierd areas (like Tuscany in the SE) that had a lot of construction going on a couple of years ago, then suddenly the construction just stopped. I don't know how that will relate to home values, but be prepared to deal with all of the construction traffic once it gets going again. FWIW, yards tend to be smaller over there as opposed to my area (89131).

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,268,564 times
Nice place. Be very careful. It is not very far into the development cycle and could easily get caught up in the downturn.

I would stick to pretty well developed neighborhoods for the next year. Don't have to be complete but say over half way. Places like Providence could very easily end up on an indefinite hold.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM

Default re

olecapt,
do you think they would just stop building there? Has this happened to any other neighborhoods in vegas? If so where? do you think they would begin building again if they did stop temporarily?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,857,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasudab View Post
olecapt,
do you think they would just stop building there? Has this happened to any other neighborhoods in vegas? If so where? do you think they would begin building again if they did stop temporarily?
They already have for the most part. There are quite a few neighborhoods that national builders have sold off to smaller developers to finish off. They have also walked away from large parcels (or so I hear) that they were planning on developing because the hold costs were to great given the current situation.

There are 2 Toll Brother's neighborhoods in Providence that I personally worked on. When they first started pre-selling they were starting in the mid $500K range. They are now selling in the mid $300K range, and they will not build anything until a certain amount of lots are sold.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
olecapt,

It is my belief that the resale market is rapidly sorting out but that the new market remains in big trouble. The newer places will take the brunt of it. The large master plan developers are all in some trouble if the development is not well along. Any tract not mostly built is suspect. Any master plan with lots of room is almost certainly in trouble.

And watch for other stuff. The nice park that comes in the next phase? The super club house down the road? Is it in your contract? Then don't count on it.

I would think resale has to get to full recover and maybe over drawn before we will see recovery in new build. Some best buys now. But make sure you can live with a half done neighborhood for five years.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 AM

Default any updates on providence area

any updates on the providence area?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
any updates on the providence area?
Getting worse if anything. Don't touch it until 2010. Focus, the primary developer, is going down. The body will hit the street soon.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
The Providence Community sounds like something lead by Rev. Jim Jones!

(Just don't drink any Kool-Aid if you move there.)

Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,050,650 times
wasn't Providence a television show that was cancelled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: