Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 PM

68 posts, read 309,921 times

Advertisements

My wife has applied to several Dietitian position's in Las Vegas and nothing has happened. Most of the jobs only require 2 years experience and my wife has over 10 years experience. She is a Certified Diabetes Educator. My wife used to be a Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian with several years working in ICU. She is retaking the exam in September, but regardless she should be getting some feedback. She gets many calls for jobs in California and other out of state jobs, but not Vegas. She has impeccable work references. She applied for the opening in Spring Valley and never heard back. What is the deal? We are not the typical rude Californian. Is it because we are from LA, so they want no part of us. Anyone work in hospitals in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

369 posts, read 771,987 times
Hiring is off in many non nursing positions. the SEIU represented hospitals are trying to restart contract bargaining early as they built several expensive facilities before the crash. Money has become tight due to an increased use of ER's as clinics and decreases in paying admissions.
The CNA has three hospitals in Henderson that are in contract negotiations right now so that also has a damper on hiring.

Try Mountain View, Summerlin, Northvista or Centenial Hills. Also try some of the SNF's such as Health South or Kindred which are more prone to rehab. Home Health is also an option.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,306 times
It is very difficult to get a job with an out of state address...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,021 times
Quote:
It is very difficult to get a job with an out of state address...
Local employers have become very jaded about dealing with out-of-state applicants. Many apply for jobs on a lark when they are in town on vacation, either with no intention of ever moving here, or thinking it would be cool to live in Vegas and then they change their minds when they get back home. The hospitals here are also squirrelly about following up on applications (I'm an RN, and I had a heck of a time even getting a response).

Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
how is that Lou Rovo (?) brain hospital doing?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermoose View Post
My wife has applied to several Dietitian position's in Las Vegas and nothing has happened. Most of the jobs only require 2 years experience and my wife has over 10 years experience. She is a Certified Diabetes Educator. My wife used to be a Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian with several years working in ICU. She is retaking the exam in September, but regardless she should be getting some feedback. She gets many calls for jobs in California and other out of state jobs, but not Vegas. She has impeccable work references. She applied for the opening in Spring Valley and never heard back. What is the deal? We are not the typical rude Californian. Is it because we are from LA, so they want no part of us. Anyone work in hospitals in Vegas?
She may want to look into applying with Fresenius or Davita as a renal dietician. I don't know what the requirements might be but that would be another avenue for her to try.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,922,667 times
I would also have her try to follow-up on her applications; if she hasn't heard anything back in a week or two after applying for the job, and there's still a posting, maybe give them a call and ask them what the status is on her application. I've been told that's a good thing to do any time you're looking for a job (only tried it once though, but I did end up getting hired because of that). If it's like orca's saying, where they don't take out-of-state apps seriously, maybe they'll consider her more for the position after actually talking to her personally (and it would show that she does have a true interest in it too).

I'm currently an intern at Summerlin Hospital (very nice place by the way), and my preceptor says there's always been people coming and going while he's been working there (I think he was mainly talking about the doctors, but you never know). I wish your wife the best of luck, and hope that things turn out well for you guys.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 AM

10 posts, read 35,380 times
I saw quite a few online for the local paper lvrj.com the hospital chain is for Valley Health Systems you have to create a job search account, and can apply directly online if interested. Check it out.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:32 PM

369 posts, read 771,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
how is that Lou Rovo (?) brain hospital doing?

Unsure, no recent news. Also there is a VA underconstruction near North Town

Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 72,265 times
Hello Moose
I do some technical work for St Rose Domenican hospitals. I can check
for you if you want to. Have a few contacts there.

Best Regards
Sam.
=================================
Moderator cut: Signatures aren't allowed per TOS

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 08-16-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: