Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 AM

122 posts, read 359,293 times

Advertisements

Free Drinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoLV View Post
Thanks everyone for there answers! I am coming from Minnesota and am very much looking forward to the change of weather and scenery. I do not have a job lined up. I have served and bartented for eleven years and hope to find a waitressing job somewhere (anywhere!) my husband and I have decided to take the first jobs we find and not be picky! We are coming down w/ three months living expenses. We pay twelve hundred a month now for a two bedroom two bath apartment. We are looking at purchasing a home in the range of $120,000 and $140,000. We have great credit and 25% down so hopefully our mortgage payments will be less then twelve hundred. We also have a few friends with contacts for jobs. We have free chilcare lined up for three months and will probably stay for one month for free with some friends why we look for jobs and such

We should be okay right?
Yes you will be ok, but only if you rethink your plan. If you have 25% down to put on a $120,000 house, that would be $30,000. Buying a house right now would be a terrible idea, since the market is currently going up, but will tank hard within the next year. You would be much better off renting an apartment, and using that $30,000 for living expenses which would last for way longer than 3 months. You can get a one bedroom apartment where Aqualung lives for $650 a month. Airics is right, 3 months is not even close enough of a cushion. You actually need at least 9 months, which you do have if you forget about buying a house for now.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
It's none of my business, but if you fritter away your down payment on living expenses it might be a long time before you'd ever be able to buy a house. You will always have living expenses. You might not always have $30,000 saved up. Follow your plan and if you don't find jobs within three months you can always go back home.

On the other hand, how will you qualify for a mortgage if you don't have a job, or if you've only been on the job a short time? Personally, I think this is a great time to buy a house if you have the money. No, it isn't a good time to be out of work, but if you are already what are your options? Look for work or starve (or rob banks?). It doesn't matter where you look for work as the job market is slow everywhere, so you might as well be here. If you have friends and family that would back you up where you are, you might consider staying where it is safe for now. But don't let anyone discourage you from looking. You might walk right into a job as soon as you get here. If you take the glass as being half full concept, employment here is 88%. Sure it's down 12%, but that's not even half empty. It's a few sips. Maybe one gulp.

One thing I would caution you on though is that traditionally things slow down in December. The job market traditionally picks up starting in February and March. You might want to delay when you come here by a couple of months.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,644 times
Now is a good time to buy. As sales continue to rise I think the home values may have hit a bottom. Im not sure why people say that things will tank next year. We shall see. Rent for a while and make sure you like it here first though.

What I love about Vegas is the way it smells after a thunderstorm and the charge in the desert air just before.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 PM

367 posts, read 817,762 times
I love the cool community festivals - Henderson's St. Pat's parade, the Highland Games, Helldorado... and much, much more.

And yeah - you are going to have a hard time finding a job here right now...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:39 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,161 times
Sunshine and blue skies 99% of the time I wake up in the morning. Nothing easier to get you moving for the day.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
It's not Kalifornia.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
What I love about Vegas is the way it smells after a thunderstorm and the charge in the desert air just before.
Rare enough to make you homesick for the old homestead when it does decide to rain, even after living a long time in the desert? If it's OK I'll share this with y'all. Maybe other easterners and mid-westerners will appreciate the sentiment. If I posted it before I apologize but you ain't gonna get much poetry outta moi.

A Rare Spring Morning
By Buzz123

It’s dark and damp this morning
A Spring chill is in the air
Birds are chirping wildly
Flowers showing everywhere.

It’s a West Virginia morning
That it’s plain to see
While sipping at my coffee
Dogs grinning up at me.

A West Virginia morning
Is always cold and dank
Yet it invigorates my spirit
And gives me pause to think.

It’s my favorite kind of morning,
When the sun’s not burning me
The air is clean and fragrant
But looks as grim as grim can be.

A morning such as this one
Is rare where I now roam
For I’m in the hot, dry desert
Three thousand miles from home.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Now is a good time to buy. As sales continue to rise I think the home values may have hit a bottom. Im not sure why people say that things will tank next year. We shall see. Rent for a while and make sure you like it here first though.

The whole economy is going to tank, not just Las Vegas. Once all the alt a, and option arms reset, watch out. Not only that, this "cash for clunkers" is also going to to be very detrimental to the economy in the near future too.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
mr d... cash for clunkers is a sore spot for ALOT of car dealers including myself.. i still have a lot of cars in cleveland that are being sold... 1, 2, and 3 years old.. Cash 4 Clunkers demolished the sales of these vehicles... It used to be that you could save a couple grand buying a one year old car, now with the 4500 rebate, no one is even considering these cars.. so guess whos getting kicked in the arse with this economy even more... the car dealer selling the 1 2 and 3 year old car.... If the prices continue to sink, even the normal fixed loan people with great credit are going to walk. I paid 270k for my rental, which i can now buy a reo in the same development same house for 140-150... if i didnt have a tenant paying the mortgage, i'd walk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas