Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,926 times

Advertisements

do they report it to IRS after SS the house? If so, what will happen with IRS? will I end up paying more taxes after SS the house???

found this site..It is pretty complicated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
i THINK that if the house is foreclosed, you do not pay the taxes on the deficiency .. new regulation... however on i short sale, i believe that you do have to pay the taxes.. how is your mortgage 1700? i owe 200, mine is 1200 but the interest rate is 4.25%

Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
No. No tax on the deficiency. Short or foreclosure makes no difference.

BofA is reasonable active on loan midifications. Try that. If you get to something reasonable then rent. If not then try short and if that does not work then foreclosure is automatic.

Last edited by olecapt; 08-21-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
A lot of people are walking away or losing their home
They will need a place to live
Try renting through an agent/management co.
I think .. they take a portion of the rent and first month
You must pay for any additional costs
If you break even you are ahead in the long run .. just make sure the rent can cover some money toward maintenance and emergencies .. when overages are put aside.
Housing values will climb slowly .. maybe not to past values ..
You save your credit and are now the proud owner of investment property

adding a short sale thought ..
You may need to count the difference as income and then owe taxes

Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Tough situation. I'm definitely no expert but I agree with the suggestion of trying to rent it out via a realtor or who ever does it. They usually run credit checks & can get a general feel of the potential tenant. I would do whatever I needed to, to avoid bad credit.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM

26 posts, read 152,999 times
A question for the more knowledgeable in this stuff than I, which would be most everyone:

When you rent out your house in a situation such as this, are you yourself then renting out an apartment to live in in the meantime? If so, doesn't that to some extent cancel out most of the gains by your tenant? Or is there some other way to rent your house out without incurring additional expenses?

Only other things I can think of is to live at a family member's house virtually rent free and rake in the rent until steady employment comes along, or stay in your house but rent out a room or rooms. Though I would think the market for rooms to stay in is as competitive as it ever would be. Or is it?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
A lot of people are walking away or losing their home
They will need a place to live
Try renting through an agent/management co.
I think .. they take a portion of the rent and first month
You must pay for any additional costs
If you break even you are ahead in the long run .. just make sure the rent can cover some money toward maintenance and emergencies .. when overages are put aside.
Housing values will climb slowly .. maybe not to past values ..
You save your credit and are now the proud owner of investment property

adding a short sale thought ..
You may need to count the difference as income and then owe taxes
Such strange usage (and non-usage) of the period. I makes me want to read it like a rhyming poem...but it never rhymes.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM

202 posts, read 583,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Slim to none? With a foreclosure on your record, you will need to put more money down on your next house. That's what I did. Or more money down on buying a car.

My credit rating is now 700+. The foreclosure went on my record in the mid-90's.

Couldn't sell a condo loft in Minneapolis. So many foreclosures in the building I was in, (17 out of 32 units) I couldn't even find a realtor that would list it before I left Minneapolis.
Mid 90s so well over 10 years ago, so like I said the OPs chances of buying a house in the next 10 years are slim and none especially in the current market with banks being very tight with the money. Your foreclosure is off your record by now which is why your credit score is up etc.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
its 7yrs on your credit for a foreclosure + IF they get a judgment it is 7 yrs on your report from judgment date. 10yrs for bankruptcy

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM

202 posts, read 583,346 times
air bankruptcy used to only be 7 years, good to know a foreclosure is only 7 years, but 7 years is a long time when it comes to trying to buy a house. Thanks for the clarification. A friend lost their house and that is where the 10 year figure came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: