Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

53 posts, read 242,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Then to that, I say congratulations! It's a start...and what better way to network. Even though its a starter job, I recommend working hard and displaying the best customer service. You never know who's on the line and taking notice...and may be in a position to offer you something else.

Just curious, what line of work (i.e, career) are you striving towards?
I don't know yet, that's why I plan to attend the CSN. I would figure it out doing my electives for the AA. I'm mostly debating between Pharmacist and Accountant. Veterinarian and Lawyer have floated around in my head from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM

33 posts, read 97,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVinWA View Post
I don't know yet, that's why I plan to attend the CSN. I would figure it out doing my electives for the AA. I'm mostly debating between Pharmacist and Accountant. Veterinarian and Lawyer have floated around in my head from time to time.
I would avoid going into law. The legal profession has been massacred. And law schools are churning out more and more lawyers. The debt is not worth it.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,411,854 times
And if Obama gets his way with National Healthcare...forget being a doctor.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 AM

53 posts, read 242,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
And if Obama gets his way with National Healthcare...forget being a doctor.
I'm fairly certain Obamacare will have no effect on the veterinary industry and animal health care. Not quite sure how it would affect the pharmaceutical industry, but it is worth pointing out that doctors in socialized countries such as the UK live rather privileged lives.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:42 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,312,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVinWA View Post
I'm fairly certain Obamacare will have no effect on the veterinary industry and animal health care. Not quite sure how it would affect the pharmaceutical industry, but it is worth pointing out that doctors in socialized countries such as the UK live rather privileged lives.
Our doctors fare much better than those in countries with socialized Medicine, though the gap is shrinking as being a Physician in America continues to become less lucrative and prestigious. Doctors in the UK do not live priveleged lives, considering how high the cost of living is there. They have enough to get buy (and more), but not enough for a life of extravagance or luxury.

Obamacare will likely not affect Vets much, though it will hurt Pharma. The Gov is going to try to limit profits, which also limits incentives. Profits are used to finance R&D, so that leaves less money available to the companies to innovate.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM

122 posts, read 358,475 times
Michigan and Vegas are the Same when it comes to Jobs

Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,321,187 times
Many believe real unemployment is already 18-20%. Expired claims, those who have given up, and now seek alternative ways to earn money is on the rise. In LV, adding 20k or so more rooms will gaurantee a large portion of the work force will be working part-time with no benefits. When the construction workers from City Center alone are out of work, the claims will mushroom---even though they will move back to Arizona, Texas, etc.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM

122 posts, read 358,475 times
ya don't get the unemployment people who ran out of there Claims they don't count them.. i would add %10 more to the number they say it is..

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,321,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRockstar View Post
ya don't get the unemployment people who ran out of there Claims they don't count them.. i would add %10 more to the number they say it is..
Claims that ran out, people that never filed, and those that were denied do not count-----this is why experts see a real rate of 18-20%. With the coming construction layoffs, and the large amounts of full-time jobs becoming part-time jobs in the LV service industry, real unemployment could easily double to 35-40%.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,888,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRockstar View Post
Michigan and Vegas are the Same when it comes to Jobs

now now i know you are mad about citycenter, and so am I, it is a bull**** process, but you can't compare michigan to vegas for jobs all together.. My wife filled 4 job apps, got 4 interviews, and 3 offers.. She starts Monday.... of course though she's a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas