Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,308,146 times

Advertisements

I have to put my life and my childrens at risk pulling into and out of my driveway. You would think we lived on a major street.

You pull off a main road (35 mph speed limit) onto an entrance street into our subdivision, you can go straight or right or left. My street is on the right. Once you turn right my home is like the 10th house down on the left. There are several side streets that feed off of our road. The road is about 1 mile long. The speed limit is 25 mph. Which with the bends and curves seems reasonable to me. We see 75% of the cars going at least 40. We are 3 houses away from one of the curves. So its annoying when you try to safely pull out of the driveway, but it gets worse.

We have lived here 4 weeks. Twice I have turned right onto my street and then gone to turn left into my driveway and someone is passing me! I guess my slowing down and using my left turn signal isn't indication enough that I am turning. I am by no means a slow driver. It happened to my DH this evening. He almost turned into someone passing him on the left as he was trying to pull into our driveway. I thought he was going to blow a gasket. He asked me if one of the cars that cut me off was a white SUV. Nope, one was a silver sedan the other a black SUV. Great, we got 3 idiots in the neighborhood!

What is wrong with these Vegas drivers. Who needs to be in that much of a hurry to get home! Why would someone be so stupid in a neighborhood? Its not like a major street on your way to work?

What do we do? Take plates and call the police? Ask HOA to put in a speed bump (which I loathe)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,896,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
What is wrong with these Vegas drivers. Who needs to be in that much of a hurry to get home! Why would someone be so stupid in a neighborhood? Its not like a major street on your way to work?
I'm not sure. I don't understand either. I wish every driver who does this would ask themselves: is getting home (or even to work) a few minutes (or seconds) earlier worth the guilt and horror of hitting and possibly killing a child who may be out and riding around on their bikes or whatever on one of those streets? I once knew someone who almost hit a kid while he was driving like that. He said it was the worst experience of his life, and from then on never drove like that again. It's too bad that it takes that kind of lesson to learn from.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 AM

515 posts, read 1,176,880 times
You might try hiding behind a bush and tossing a mannequin or scarecrow out in front of speeding cars. That should scare the speed right out of them.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,395,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
You might try hiding behind a bush and tossing a mannequin or scarecrow out in front of speeding cars. That should scare the speed right out of them.
Nahhhh...they'd probably just run over it and keep going as they laugh. Try using an old bowling ball instead and hope for a strike. When they stop, just tell them you were cleaning your ball in the gargage, and it got away from you.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM

53 posts, read 208,250 times
Back into your own driveway. The driving around here is hideous. It's the only matter I have taken up with Metro in a year. Their attitudes towards pedestrians is felonious. The fact that they've never been on a University campus is more than apparent.

I had heard that the cops are bastards about tickets, but after living here a while, I'm wondering why they aren't raising more revenue. I saw this guy yesterday in a Herbst Service Vehicle. In the 12 seconds I observed his driving, he didn't stop for a stop sign, didn't yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, he recklessly cut over three lanes of traffic, then ran a red left turn arrow to make a U turn in from of oncoming cars, and sped off. All of this in a clearly marked company vehicle.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times
Default Hurry to live-Hurry to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
For a number of Las Vegas drivers, God forbid that even their mothers or fathers should be crossing the street at the wrong time, wrong place.

Squish! Inheritance proceeds goes to buying a faster car!

LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: