Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 AM

122 posts, read 427,812 times

Advertisements

Some TCP tweaks for Clear users with subpar reception and latency issues:

Quote:
Half-open limit fix is a program designed to change the maximum number of concurrent half-open outbound TCP connections (connection attempts) in the Windows system tcpip.sys file.

Microsoft first introduced this limit in Windows XP SP2 and it is present in later versions, which purpose is to try to slow the spread of virus and malware from system to system, and also to reduce the impact of infected systems participating in DoS (Denial of Service) attacks.

Microsoft's limiter makes it impossible for Windows systems to have more than 10 concurrent half-open outbound connections; after 10, new connection attempts are put in a queue and forced to wait. Thus, the speed of connection to other PCs is limited.Therefore, the speed of connection to other computers is actually limited.
Screw Microsoft's misguided and outdated attempt at virus-control. It did not work anyway. Especially with new software and broadband technologies, the optimum number of half-open connections is 100. If your PC is still set for 10, you need to fix it. Download and run:

Half-open limit fix (patch) for Windows - Download

The DSL Reports web site also provides some limited TCP tweaking analysis:

Tweaking for speed - dslreports.com

To optimize some of your basic TCP (internet) settings, download and run:

DrTCP windows tcp tuning and tweaking - dslreports.com

After I did this basic TCP optimization, I no longer had as many incidents of web site timeouts requiring page refresh. My private-label Google gmail also seemed to login and logout much more readily. It may be just a coincidence but I also got my personal fastest download speed ever, despite my poor Clear connection (CINR: 8/9).

The DR.TCP settings shown in the image below is what worked best for me using Windows XP SP3 with a degraded Clear signal. Your settings might be different depending upon how good your signal is from Clear.

Last edited by Goo++; 11-20-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Moderator cut: post referring to has been deleted

BTW, there is one more thing I forgot to add. TCP changes don't take effect until after you reboot.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-20-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: post you are referring to has been deleted

Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Goo, I will try to explain it so my comment complies with TOS. Basically, the service by Clear is subpar to Cox or DSL. I knew that getting in to it, but obviously I can not order either at my work site. There is no way that Clear can compete with Cox in terms of speed or latency. As I said, it is was it is. However, it still works, and is better than no internet. None of the little programs you are posting can or will change this unfortunately.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM

While it may be true that unless your existing TCP settings are badly mis-optimized, changing TCP settings won't make a major increase in speed or reduce latency. OTOH, what it can do and did do was lessen some problems caused by Clear's high latency.

The Microsoft-created problem where "new connection attempts are put in a queue and forced to wait" has real world consequences that lead to increased timeouts and retries. So far, those simple TCP settings changes have made logging in and out of my private-label gmail accounts routine instead of frustrating. I have noticed that same thing on some forums. I haven't had to click stop and reload/repost on some of the trouble sites. I don't consider those to be insignificant improvements.

As I stated, for me, the actual speed is not the problem. I can live with 2-3Mbps download speed. It is problems "caused by" high latency that have been a PITA. Perhaps you have not experienced the same level of timeout problems as I have since my CINR:8/9dB is much worse than average. I find it amazing that there is only one single 2 inch square location in my house above a laundry room that can get even an intermittent 3 bars - a pinhole in the dead zone.

Right now I am simultaneously posting to this forum with online "live" CNN playing in another Firefox tab and downloading in the background a 3.5GB Knoppix 6.2 Linux ISO (via Bittorrent) at over 250kB/s. That would not have been possible yesterday without the TCP changes.

Given that I saw major improvement in my own Clear usuability with only a few easy TCP setting changes, why wouldn't someone try to see if it helps them too. If you see no difference, you can change the settings back just as easily.

Last edited by Goo++; 11-20-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 AM

Some practical experience in weak signal areas:

I'm in one of those Clear WiMAX dead zones, apparently far from Clear's nearest WiMAX transmitting tower. After hours of receiver placement tests in a reception sweetspot in a relatively small one square yard area of my house, I notice that Clear must have added a few towers in the past few months, although still too far from me.

In order to optimize your reception, you need to login to the Clear receiver/router/modem box. The internal web address is http://192.168.15.1 and the password is motorola. It is probably best not to change anything, just refresh the main status page or reboot your Clear receiver/modem box by clicking on the lower left "reset button".

Your will see two important numbers: RSSI and CINR.

RSSI is your signal level. In my poor reception area, my actual usable RSSI range has been -80dB (at best) and -86dB (at worst but still usable). In the best signal area, you would hope to get about -50dB.

CINR is your signal-to-interference ratio. When I first started with Clear I got a really miserable 5dB CINR even though I had optimized receiver placement and angle as best I could. I also typically had an RSSI signal strength of -84dB to -85dB.

Now with a few more towers, I can consistently get CINR 8dB or 9dB (intermittent 3 green bars). I now can get an RSSI of -80db to -82dB by locating the Clear box in a sweetspot (a lot of trial and error) and pointing it in the direction south-southeast toward Rhodes Ranch.

Still experimenting, at another sweetspot several inches away, I was able to consistently get a 10dB CINR (I even saw 11dB once) pointing north in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, the best RSSI I got for that location/direction was -84dB.

So, southward I got an okay CINR and an okay RSSI. Northward I got a better CINR but worse RSSI. Which was more important? From practical tests, it turns out that in my weak-signal-area, the RSSI was far more important. My CINR/RSSI "okay" levels yielded download speeds that were nearly double the speeds of the CINR/RSSI "better/worse" levels.

I don't know how this applies in stronger signal areas that will hopefully be better than CINR 20dB / RSSI -60dB.

Last edited by Goo++; 11-26-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

31 posts, read 36,917 times
Randolphus, I'm at Ft. Apache and Post. Same issues. I get full bars but speeds dropped off over 6 weeks ago. I have an escalated ticket with Clear. They claim no one else has an issue in Las Vegas but this can't be the case. If any others of you in Las Vegas are having speed issues, let support know!

Goo++, Clear is upgrading their towers to allow other WiMax equipment to work with non-Motorola equipment. They are doing this now in Las Vegas.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,859 times
BrassnerInVegas, I have same problems. Clear acknowledged at one point in late November that they have had technical issues in LV since 11/1. Now, no one will acknowledge that there is a problem. Never should have given up Cox. Latency way too high to effectively use a video phone or any other VOIP. What did Rebecca get us into John?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM

31 posts, read 36,917 times
Not Rebecca's fault, you golf nut. I was able to cancel my service. Cox goes in tomorrow!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,221 times
Please excuse my ignorance and lack of knowlege regarding modems but how can you use cell phone model as a connection to the laptop? I'm looking to pinch pennies anywhere I can.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxshannon View Post
Please excuse my ignorance and lack of knowlege regarding modems but how can you use cell phone model as a connection to the laptop? I'm looking to pinch pennies anywhere I can.
Depends on the phone and operating system. I use my Evo (android platform) with PDAnet, and it works like a champ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas