Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 55,306 times

Advertisements

I heard good things about Clear Internet. How good is it? I need mobile for my laptop. Please respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
It works. I tested it but decided not to go with it for a number of reasons, mostly technical.

Cellular might be more reliable for you, however. Clear isn't "everywhere" in the valley, so you may find that it doesn't work where you need it to.

I have a Palm Centro cellphone that I can (and do) use as a modem with my laptop. It's not as fast as something like Clear would be, but it works pretty much everywhere. I used it on the UT/WY state line yesterday - try that with Clear.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Clear is true broadband that will give you bursts upto 10mbps. Nothing can touch that in a celluar network. If your looking for fast internet that is wireless and local (las vegas), then clear is a bargain. Clear is new and they are updating their network constantly. Las Vegas is a test market so we will have to see where it goes in the next year. Clear is also using 802.16 technology and its state of the art so I would give it time. But like swagger said, if your going out of the area often, then I would go celluar.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 37,442 times
How would Clear compare with Cricket, in terms of cost and quality (for mobile internet)?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUFAN85 View Post
How would Clear compare with Cricket, in terms of cost and quality (for mobile internet)?
I have the cricket broadband card in which I pay $40 a month for. It is reliable, but it is very slow, as in too slow to play youtube videos.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have the cricket broadband card in which I pay $40 a month for. It is reliable, but it is very slow, as in too slow to play youtube videos.
I've heard bad things about cricket, only good for browsing email and simple websites without flash, video content or streaming music. With Clear, you can even play WOW (world of warcraft) or download music from itunes and watch vids on youtube all at the same time.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 205,452 times
I'm currently using clear for mobile internet, I really liked it, so I actually cancelled my cable internet, and use it for home also. The speeds are not as fast as cable, but I felt it was just as fast as the DSL I used to have. I also liked not having to connect to any external service, just plug in and go.
No complaints from my end, I have had for about 2.5 months, I have had one interruption in service so far (about 1hr), I found customer service very helpful.
Hope this helps

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower75 View Post
I'm currently using clear for mobile internet, I really liked it, so I actually cancelled my cable internet, and use it for home also. The speeds are not as fast as cable, but I felt it was just as fast as the DSL I used to have. I also liked not having to connect to any external service, just plug in and go.
No complaints from my end, I have had for about 2.5 months, I have had one interruption in service so far (about 1hr), I found customer service very helpful.
Hope this helps

My average speeds are 6mbps and that is faster than embarq. If you have Cox, you probably are getting close to 8-10 mbps and yes Cox is the fastest but also the most expenisve.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM

12 posts, read 72,277 times
If you are using AT& T 3G or Sprint 3G, you could save money with Clear.
I'm not sure of the speed, but heard that its reasonable good. Clear does not have service all over the valley.

Sam

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-26-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
What I like about Clear is that they're secure. I'm able to scan for all wifi with my iPod Touch, and it doesn't show up on any my scans. Via my ethernet hub, I'm able to hook up my desktop, laptop, and TiVo to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas