Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,187 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses to buy in Henderson, and want to know what years of construction to avoid. We currently rent a townhouse that was built in 2003, and it was shoddily made. Our friends have mentioned that corners were cut because that time period was a huge building time and builders were doing everything on the cheap.

Can anyone tell me what years were the big building boom when lots of shoddy work was done, so we can avoid looking at houses built during that time frame? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:22 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
i don't think you can rule out any years... i would be more wary of the phase of the development.. the later the phase, the faster they were built. and also the manufacturer... William Lyons homes are great.. KB - garbage

Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 AM

171 posts, read 588,522 times
I heard about late 2005 early 2006 homes being problems because of Hurricane katrina damage. There was a shortage of quality building supplies so builders used what they could to get the job done. I'm not sure if this was just rumor or what. I remember hearing it on one of the flip that house episodes. I can't remember if it was LV or not, though.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:55 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I live in the central city in a townhouse complex built 1969-71. Myself, I have more faith in pre-80's construction, for whatever reason.

When I looked at townhouses to buy back in 1996, that was one of my curiosities when looking, the dates of construction. There are any number of townhouses out here in the East Central built in the late 60's/early 70's that I have complete faith in. I seemed to notice a slight deterioration in quality in the townhouses I viewed built in the 80's or 90's.

For instance, the stucco is so thick on the walls of my townhouse, I need a power drill to put a screw into it. It's almost like a cinder-block wall.

I once visisted a friend living in a house built in the mid-90's here, and she wanted me to help her hang an outdoor metal sculpture on a wall of her house near the pool.
Holly Molly! All it took was a very thin nail to puncture that stucco with a hammer! If I only had it that easy at my townhouse!

And back in that time frame, most people had big cars, and the garages were built large enough, so today I could park 3 small cars in my garage. The townhouses I viewed, even built in the 80's, had smaller garages.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the high-quality of the construction of my old townhouse. I wouldn't trade it for a newer one in the newer parts of town, ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: