Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM

172 posts, read 558,631 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Can't find good fruits and veggies in North Las Vegas (I live near Ann and Camino al Norte). Don't really want to drive on 15 to get food. Anyone know of a good place to go???? I mostly shop at Smiths. Not happy with the fruit there. Was visiting my family in Michigan this summer and we went to the fruit and veggie stand almost every other day. Oh how I miss home grown food!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
Ugh. Can't find good fruits and veggies in North Las Vegas (I live near Ann and Camino al Norte). Don't really want to drive on 15 to get food. Anyone know of a good place to go???? I mostly shop at Smiths. Not happy with the fruit there. Was visiting my family in Michigan this summer and we went to the fruit and veggie stand almost every other day. Oh how I miss home grown food!

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, we don't get much fresh produce here in the desert. I get some of my produce from here, but maybe a bit too far for you to travel?

Las Vegas Farmers Market Home Page

The supermarkets don't have much good, fresh produce. Sometimes I am lucky and get good stuff from Whole Foods or Sunflower.

While travelling all over this summer, I think we stopped at every roadside produce stand there was. Nothing beats that fresh off the tree or vine taste!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
You aren't very far from Gilcrease Orchard. Take containers and pick your own; except the apples, which they pick. Gilcrease Orchard

Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM

gilcrease is a great idea. I should try there. Unfortunately the only time that I have been there was las fall and there were no pumpkins left and only apples to pick. Must have gotten there too late.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Maybe I should just invest in a couple of fruit bearing trees and plant a small veggie garden instead. Not sure I want to work that hard though

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
Maybe I should just invest in a couple of fruit bearing trees and plant a small veggie garden instead. Not sure I want to work that hard though
Not a bad idea. I planted a dwarf peach tree last fall and this year it produced more peaches than I thought that little thing could hold up. Just watch for birds eating the fruit. They sell nets to put over your trees that keep the birds out. Mine is so small that I went to Jo Ann's and bought a few yards of mesh to wrap it in.

I planted two tomato plants in a big flower pot and got more tomatoes than I really wanted. I just planted another one on Monday of this week because we have two growing seasons here.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Try Fresh & Easy, the next best thing to a Farmers market for fresh produce. I buy mine from there all the time, and compared to regular supermarkets, the produce at F&E always stays fresher longer. Plus they mark it down daily depending on the dates. There should be a store near you, or you can come on over to the one on Centennial Parkway/Simmons.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Thank you everyone!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
I tried the topsy-turvy tomato grower this year (the one they sell on TV)...was not impressed...got some...but, I think tomatos prefer to grow up, not down. I'll try it next year with peppers. Very bad season for tomatos, here in the NE....record rain in June. Squash & cucumber grew fantastic, tho.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i just planted tomatoes about 2wks ago in the upside down planter.. i will keep you informed.. obviously no tomatoes yet, but the vines look good.... my pomegranites, lemons, and grapefruits look excellent so far..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas