Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM

29 posts, read 289,556 times

Advertisements

We are planning a day trip to Grand Canyon. Given the time constrains South Rim or North Rim would be the best idea? Or can we cover both in a day ?

I see that there are some shuttles that run along the South Rim can we catch it if we are reaching the North Rim or somewhere along the way.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
You don't say what your time constraints are, but the Big Ditch in a day is possible although not much fun.

It is at least 4½ to 5 hours drive each way. That leaves very little time to do much more than stop at one of the overlooks, then turn around and go back. The point of seeing the Grand Canyon is to experience the size and grandeur of the most beautiful place on earth. That means getting out of your car and doing some walking, or just finding a spot to sit and admire the wonders of nature like you will have never seen before.

I'm not sure I understand your question about north rim/south rim. If you're asking how long it takes to go from one to the other, the answer is, it's nearly as far from North Rim to South Rim as it is from Las Vegas to either one.

Although it is closer from Las Vegas to the North Rim entrance than the South Rim Entrance, it takes a little less time to drive via I-40 most of the way to the South Rim. Both are very scenic drives, however, the drive to the North Rim is more so. It is also cooler as the North Rim is 1,000 feet higher in elevation. For that reason though, the North Rim will soon be closing for the winter from mid-October to mid-May.

LV to North Rim: Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to North Rim, AZ

To South Rim: Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to South Rim Entrance Station, AZ

South Rim to North Rim or vice versa: Driving Directions from South Rim Entrance Station, AZ to North Rim, AZ

If your time is that limited, you might rather go to Zion National Park and save the Grand for when you have more time. Zion is only about an hour closer, but it's easier to do in a day, and it is incredibly spectacular; especially right now, as I imagine the leaves are turning, or in higher elevations, have already turned. Zion is a little easier on newbies too, and slightly less crowded at this time of year.

Zion National Park - Zion National Park Utah

In the little Zion Canyon entrance town of Springdale, UT, you'll find one of the best southwest/Mexican restaurants in this whole region...The Bit and Spur. And right in the middle of town is the Bumbleberry Restaurant where you'll find the best homemade bumble berry pie for several states around. Great for breakfast or lunch too.

Do yourself a favor and make the Grand Circle a complete vacation sometime.
Welcome to the Grand Circle Association Web Site

Here is a nice site: Grand Canyon North Rim

Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM

109 posts, read 319,520 times
I myself liked the North Rim better.I thought it was a better view and not as many tourists.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:07 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
If you're Chinese, head to the south rim to watch the sun rise over the horizon.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
If you are really in a hurry you could take one of the many flights over the Canyon. I don't know which one is best. But when they say they land at the bottom, I haven't been to that location but I don't believe it is really in the actual Grand Canyon. Heck, Lake Mead is part of the Grand Canyon, but it's not what you think of when you're talking about the National Park.

grand canyon flights - Google Search

Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM

29 posts, read 289,556 times
Thanks for the detailed update and very useful information.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
For hiking...South Rim is much steeper. The North Rim has a more gradual declination.

If you are ONLY going for viewing...both are good...North Rim gets few tourists...South Rim gets TONS of tourists.

I lived and worked at the South Rim for 10 months...still though, tons of tourists, but still very beautiful. You can't go wrong either way, it just depends on how much tourist and tourist stuff you want around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: