Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 16,144 times

Advertisements

What can I say. I was very hard on the apartment I stayed at for about 6 years.

There are holes in the walls (around 5 or 6), and the carpet is ruined, although the carpet wasn't in great shape anyways when I moved in. I kicked / punched a few holes in the walls over the years when I has having a bad day.

I have moved out and I'm out of the state right now here to nevada.

The new management at this complex was pretty rude to me. I was not there for their walkthrough. I have not turned in the keys. The place was a mess when I left. I have a place in vegas now.

I have done damages at 2 other apartment complexes and never heard anything about it. I am single and extremely messy by nature and hard on apartments. They both sent me a bill and I never paid it but it was never on my credit report.

Do I need to worry about paying this place? I really don't trust them to give me a fair price on the damgages. I was trying to give the new mangager my contact info and she was very rude to me. They also were not getting stuff fixed for me when I was there. The place was getting very run down and the maintenance was awful.

What can they do if I dont' pay up for damages? They have no way of contacting me right now (that i know of)

graciAs

edit: could this cause me a problem getting a different apartment for rent in Vegas in the future (my credit is good i have nothing outstanding on my report as of yet).

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
are you serious? you will need references from your previous residences... don't pay the bill, they eventually will turn it over to a collection agency.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
WECOME TO LAS VEGAS

I can't help you out with advice because I generally take responsibility for my actions but to each their own...Good Luck

Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM

33 posts, read 63,105 times
I'd say you got lucky with the others. A long time ago I lived in an apartment and one of the other guys damaged a car port with a U-Haul when he was moving out. The complex sent a letter to the apartment (after we moved out - their half-hearted attempt to contact us) and then sent it to a collections agency. I had already moved out when the damage occured. Two years later I get a job and they tell me I have this item on my credit report. I had no idea. I had a lawyer contact them and that's how I found out what all happened. It was eventually removed after about 6 months of haggling with them, but they didn't hesitate for one moment to report us for $700 in damage. I'd assume multiple holes in the walls would be around the same.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 29,884 times
I have to say good luck to ever renting somewhere. I am in the apartment industry and what I tell everyone is to make sure you do a walk though and when you move in some where make sure to fill out the unit condition checklist. Where I work we definitely send people like you to a collection agency. You have just gotten lucky with the previous apartments you rented that they didn't. It won't last forever and will catch up to you. Nowadays almost everyone wants a reference from a previous landlord. GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
cat urine all over the carpet?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully1975 View Post
I have to say good luck to ever renting somewhere. I am in the apartment industry and what I tell everyone is to make sure you do a walk though and when you move in some where make sure to fill out the unit condition checklist. Where I work we definitely send people like you to a collection agency. You have just gotten lucky with the previous apartments you rented that they didn't. It won't last forever and will catch up to you. Nowadays almost everyone wants a reference from a previous landlord. GOOD LUCK!
This is the scenario I was worried about.

I guess I need to pay it, but, the thing is, I'd like to make sure I don't get ripped off. I don't mind paying a fair price.

Let's say I pay them for the damages. I paid rent on time for the whole time I was there. Also, I now have insurance that covers apartment damages.......

The thing is, I paid on time 5 years, etc., and a new owner comes in and the new manger is a total #Q#$Q###. What a waste of a great track record that could be (aside from the damages, which i'm willing to pay for).

So I was thinking of options:
1. touch base with them again and see what they expect me to pay.

2. forget about it and wait until I'm ready to rent a nother place in the future. then check my credit report......downside is i won't have room to negotiate on price possibly? shouldn't i try to get them to go down on their charges....they have seemed pretty rid. in my dealings with them so far.

3. they didnt' check anything when i moved in this place in vegas......before letting me in? does it help that i have a lot of money in the bank? i guess i could always pay cash for a place......but i'd rather have the option to rent.

4. why not just tell them i lived with a roommate? make something up for a reference?

If you lived at a place all that time and somebody walked in one day and was being an ass to you and treating you bad (new manager / new owner), would you want to cooperate if you didnt' need to? Did I mention they were slow as hell at getting stuff fixed, and they rarely got it fixed right....

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
cat urine all over the carpet?

lot of cigarette stains....some burns...it was in bad shape when i got there anyway

the place was so messy at times i could barely walk through all the trash......lots of spills i didn't clean up...diet cokkke

Old 10-07-2009, 08:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Why?
This is why rent goes up. Because people don't pay their rent and they trash places. Just why OP, why?

Edit: BTW, can you tell me which Apt complex? I'm looking into getting an apartment in Vegas, so I want to know which Apt Complex is run down and has crappy maintenance? LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully1975 View Post
one more thing: I was cautious enough to get a place BEFORE they checked out my apartment. My credit was great and I had been paying my rent on time every month for six years.

So at least I'll have this new place for a reference if I want to rent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas