U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,136 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving to the LV area (military) and need advice on whether to buy in a gated community or not. Really, it's a question of whether we HAVE to or not. We have 2 small kids and are looking in the NW just below Floyd Lamb. The houses are going for about 250k (ones with pools) in the neighborhood we like--and it seems like a nice area. The elementary school is Bilbray. I REALLY need some advice!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 25,004,055 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwife View Post
Hello,

We are moving to the LV area (military) and need advice on whether to buy in a gated community or not. Really, it's a question of whether we HAVE to or not. We have 2 small kids and are looking in the NW just below Floyd Lamb. The houses are going for about 250k (ones with pools) in the neighborhood we like--and it seems like a nice area. The elementary school is Bilbray. I REALLY need some advice!!!!!
Gated means absolutely nothing in regards to safety. I live in a gated condo myself, but I can not count the times someone follows me in. The only gated communities that actually provide a safety increase are the ones with a 24 hour guard gate. However, those are for the elite, and the houses certainly cost well over $250,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 8,869,079 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwife View Post
Hello,

We are moving to the LV area (military) and need advice on whether to buy in a gated community or not. Really, it's a question of whether we HAVE to or not. We have 2 small kids and are looking in the NW just below Floyd Lamb. The houses are going for about 250k (ones with pools) in the neighborhood we like--and it seems like a nice area. The elementary school is Bilbray. I REALLY need some advice!!!!!
The area is nice, and I haven't heard anything negative about Bilbray.

Gated or not can be either a positive or negative.

Positive is that it helps (just a little) to keep cars out that don't belong. And usually, if a neighborhood is gated, soliciting is forbidden (flyers, pamphlets, etc). And sometimes it helps slow down traffic in the neighborhood. Some people view living in a gated community as a prestigious thing as well.

Negatives are that outsiders do come in the gates, they just wait and follow homeowners in. So, it's really a sense of false security living in a gated community. And sometimes, those door hanger distributors ignore the gates and come in anyway.

You'll pay for those gates, too. The homeowners (through their neighborhood association) will pay dues every month to maintain those gates. If you live in a large association that has homeowner dues, if you live in a neighborhood with gates, you'll pay extra, as opposed to those neighborhoods that don't have gates.

Sometimes, they don't work. And you're stuck outside your devopment until they are fixed if there is only one entrance. There ain't nothing in the world more annoying than coming home and finding you can't get in your neighborhood because the gate broke. Rare, but it can/does happen.

Me personally, I don't like gates whatsoever, they truly serve no purpose at all. More of an annoyance/inconvenience than anything else.

Good luck pilotwife, and welcome to Las Vegas!

Last edited by MomMom; 10-09-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
14,218 posts, read 27,666,625 times
Reputation: 27540
Look at the neighborhood. Will you be comfortable there? Unless there is a live guard, the gated thing means nothing. AND.....how many places exist where a person could just walk in? You don't need a motor vehicle to do bad things. Last, 'kids' can do a lot of damage. Bored or whatever. They are already in the subdivision.

How much are you paying that HOA? Is it worth it and how much will it go up?

I've found Vegas is like any other city. You need to be alert and aware. Not scared.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
250 posts, read 1,066,805 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Gated means absolutely nothing in regards to safety. I live in a gated condo myself, but I can not count the times someone follows me in. The only gated communities that actually provide a safety increase are the ones with a 24 hour guard gate. However, those are for the elite, and the houses certainly cost well over $250,000.
I disagree somewhat. There is a difference between a gated condo vs gated single family homes. In condos there tends to be younger singles living there and tend to have more friends visiting. Hence the following through the gate. I would think there tends to be a higher population in condo communities as well. Also, how do you know the people following through the gate don't live there also?

At least in gated communities people can't just drive through your neighborhood when ever they feel like it. Yes, some may be able to follow through the gate, however it won't go unnoticed. There is also only one (two in some communities) way into or out of the community, which could help deter criminals.

If a criminal has two neighborhoods side by side, one gated and the other not; which do you think the criminal would choose?

I personally prefer gated, however in the area that the OP is looking, NW Centennial area, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You should be safe either way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 25,004,055 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I disagree somewhat. There is a difference between a gated condo vs gated single family homes. In condos there tends to be younger singles living there and tend to have more friends visiting. Hence the following through the gate. I would think there tends to be a higher population in condo communities as well. Also, how do you know the people following through the gate don't live there also?
Where I live, there are two gates, one for residents with a wireless remote, and one for visitors who have to use the keypad to call the resident. I have seen 1 or 2 people waiting at the gate many times, and back up quickly to go through with me. They are definitely not residents, because they do not allow codes to get in where I live. The resident has to be home to let them in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,782 posts, read 25,583,694 times
Reputation: 4860
my rental property is gated, our main home is not... to me gates are a joke... i don't remember how many times i've forgotten the rental property code and drove right in after another car
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
250 posts, read 1,066,805 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
You'll pay for those gates, too. The homeowners (through their neighborhood association) will pay dues every month to maintain those gates. If you live in a large association that has homeowner dues, if you live in a neighborhood with gates, you'll pay extra, as opposed to those neighborhoods that don't have gates.
I've also seen non-gated communities with HOA dues higher than gated communities.

Also, I've lived in three gated communities and never had a problem getting out of the community. Yes, there have been occasions where the gates were stuck OPEN, never closed. The issue has also almost always been solved the same day if not the next.

I don't care what anyone says there is definitely added security to being in a gated community. Yes, crime can and does happen anywhere, even in gated communities. But to say a gate does absolutely nothing is absurd.

To some criminals a gated community may mean an extra fun challenge and others it may mean it's not worth the extra chance of getting caught.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,631 posts, read 6,729,763 times
Reputation: 4354
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
gated means absolutely nothing in regards to safety. I live in a gated condo myself, but i can not count the times someone follows me in. The only gated communities that actually provide a safety increase are the ones with a 24 hour guard gate. However, those are for the elite, and the houses certainly cost well over $250,000.
i totally agree!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
250 posts, read 1,066,805 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Where I live, there are two gates, one for residents with a wireless remote, and one for visitors who have to use the keypad to call the resident. I have seen 1 or 2 people waiting at the gate many times, and back up quickly to go through with me. They are definitely not residents, because they do not allow codes to get in where I live. The resident has to be home to let them in.
In my community, I've seen residents that live in the community sit and wait to follow a car through the owners gate because they were just too lazy to drive to the other side of the community to put in the code. In fact my wife has done it before. So that doesn't mean everyone that follows through is not an owner or resident. Airics just proved that as well. The chances that someone is following through the gate to commit a crime is very low and highly unlikely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top