Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
nope, you are too high iMO..You are looking down on the strip.. the best shots would be as the balloon is rising 100-200 feet.
We disagree. That is what long lenses are for. Strat lets you see the whole strip. At 200 feet in the baloon only a piece of it.

Both can lead to good shots though...in fact most strip views I really like were made from the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
I'd go on that balloon ride, but not for $27.50 for only 10 minutes.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
My wife and I got to take a hot air balloon ride in Albuquerque from the Fiesta Park to across the Rio Grande, which a few of the balloons (not ours) dipped into just for fun. Then we had the first time flight initiation which was also fun. It was a media day promoting the International Balloon Fiesta, and they were looking for sponsors, so it was free. Free is good. It costs a lot more than $27.50 for a hot air balloon ride, but then you aren't tethered so you actually go somewhere. It was enough of a ride for me to know that had I stayed in Albuq. I would have looked into buying a balloon and getting a pilot's license. But then, in Albuq. there are so many balloons you're out of place if you aren't at least on a ground crew. So I'd ride the helium one. It's safer than hot air. It would be more fun if you rode around the valley though. The best part of ballooning to me is the peacefulness. It's so quiet up there, except in hot air the pilot has to hit the burners every once in a while, and they are noisy, and dogs bark at you. The other thing was how warm it was in the gondola. It was a pretty cold morning but they told me I wouldn't need my jacket, and they were right.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:38 AM

8 posts, read 16,447 times
You want a great view of the strip go up the Eiffel Tower, Especially at night.. The Balloon is not worth the price for the amount of time you are in the air.. Strat has great views of the strip....

Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 AM

89 posts, read 232,757 times
I'm sure it would be fun, and I'll definitely do it at some point. But I noticed today that it doesn't even go as high as Mandalay Bay's roof. So, you can get the same view from the Foundation Room or Mixx's balcony.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We disagree. That is what long lenses are for. Strat lets you see the whole strip. At 200 feet in the baloon only a piece of it.

Both can lead to good shots though...in fact most strip views I really like were made from the ground.
long lenses cause noise in the photos

Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Has anyone here actually been up in the balloon? I see a lot of opinions on how it's not worth a measly $27.50, but did they take the ride before deciding that? The Stratosphere is not free, but it is a fantastic view of the whole valley as well as the Strip and the mountains. I don't know who decided there is no view of the Strip from there. It is hard to take pictures due to the security barriers. The balloon is just something different to do and I'm betting it will be worth the price. As I recall Tour Eiffel isn't free, it's a long wait in line, and the view sucks because you can't get close enough to the windows even if there weren't 100 people in front of you, and there are struts blocking the view. But it too is something to do.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Might as well give it up olecapt, some people would complain about being hung with a new rope.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
i never said the strat had bad views, they are actually beautiful , but unless you are using a 300mm lens, imo, the strip is to far downward... the balloon would probably have the best views.. ive been to the mix patio but there are dirty clear panels in the way of a great shot.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,975 times
Since its actually a helium balloon and not a hot air balloon, its a definate no from me. If that cable broke you'd be up, up, and away, miles high into the air at the mercy of the wind. If the winch jammed you'd be stuck with no way to get down for ours. I'd prefer a hot air balloon. Much more control over the up and down part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: